Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

pistol question

when using the pistol do you recommend keeping the fire key down or firing shot by shot? wich is better higher rate of fire or higher accuracy?

I tend to tap it for the precise shots and only go full-auto if there are a bunch of enemies up close. Same deal with the Chaingun, I almost never hold it down.

But what's the point? It doesn't make any difference in accuracy (maybe firing shot by shot gives you more time to aim when there are moving targets, though). Holding it down is technically more effective.

rileymartin said:

I tend to tap it for the precise shots and only go full-auto if there are a bunch of enemies up close. Same deal with the Chaingun, I almost never hold it down.

yeah i also tap fire the chaingun, but with the pistol the rate of fire is so much slower

ClumsyDoomer said:

But what's the point? It doesn't make any difference in accuracy (maybe firing shot by shot gives you more time to aim when there are moving targets, though). Holding it down is technically more effective.

Nope, holding the pistol and chaingun is actually less accurate. The first shot of the pistol and chaingun are 100% accurate, and the spread kicks in on refire.

I recommend not holding down the fire button. The first shot is ALWAYS accurate. If you're shooting at enemies from a distance, then don't hold the fire button. That way, every shot will hit the target (well mostly depending on the situation). But if its close range, then fire away.

That's just me though.

Guest Unregistered account

Plus, you get to see more of the animation if you tap the Pistol.
But with the Chaingun, I use a bit of both.

Depends on how close you are to your target(s) and how imminently you need them to be killed soon or painlocked.

I tap chaingun quite often because it is only one frame you lose every 9th frame (if mastered), which means you shoot 89% of the full speed but with 100% accuracy. So with that in mind, you should tap at a distance, where you would miss more than every 9th bullet because of the spray. That's quite short range. Of course that's only true when your accuracy is 100% while tapping and you can tap it perfectly, but even in non-ideal conditions you should tap at quite short distances as it preserves the ammo, and you can focus all the bullets on the important target(s).

Soldier993 said:

Shot by shot for long range with both pistol & chaingun because it's more accurate.

Holding the fire key for close range combat on both weapons.

that seems like a good balance

MinerOfWorlds said:

I hold the button down i don't see the point of tapping the button for more accuracy.

You don't see the point of accurate shots from a distance?

If monster hit box > spread of gun, hold fire
Else tap.

Isn't this common sense by now?

As for the OP's question, which actually is interesting, focusing solely on the pistol, I think you still gotta go with the rule stated above. Higher rate of fire be damned, it's not much different than punching enemies; much easier to always connect when fire button is tapped, for not only the obvious accuracy reasons with the pistol, but also for one's own timing. The pistol fires single shots so slow that every shot does count; watching people who hold-fire the pistol usually ends with them missing 50% of their shots anyway, especially given you can't really fight many monsters up close with the pistol and be better off health/supplies -wise than if you had fought them at a distance (health being arguably more important with worse weapons than with better ones, of which the pistol is the absolute worst). Even the speed of it would be questionable, considering the spread and trying to avoid damage from a very close position, as compared to any other more comfortable distance.

VGA said:

You don't see the point of accurate shots from a distance?

You don't need to be accurate in doom there's no long distance shots in doom as far as i know.

MinerOfWorlds said:

You don't need to be accurate in doom there's no long distance shots in doom as far as i know.

To be precise, the max length of a shot is 2048 units (except in ZDoom where there is no limit).

MinerOfWorlds said:

This is the obvious one you can find in 5 seconds. Doom has plenty of large open maps where accuracy matters, and there will be plenty of PWADs that will demand it, even in non-standard ways (such as shootable switches).

Edward850 said:

https://puu.sh/snZQ1/739d3001d5.png
This is the obvious one you can find in 5 seconds. Doom has plenty of large open maps where accuracy matters, and there will be plenty of PWADs that will demand it, even in non-standard ways (such as shootable switches).

Why not just kill it at the end of the level? and i don't play pwads that much.

Clonehunter said:

The point is you don't have to wait 'til the end of the level. It's a long distance shot in Doom.

That's pretty much like arguing with someone who doesn't understand why he should wipe after #2, since in the end the clothe are going in the wash anyway.