Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadowman

The Inquisitor 3d

Hello!
Done. The Inquisitor 3 is ready.
Authors - Shadowman, Big Memka and at the final stage - Guest.
Also I would like to thank everyone who helped us with the graphics, tests and resources, including zdoom-community and authors of Realm667.com.

Description:
"The Inquisitor III" is a full-fledged RPG based on GZDoom engine. There are no defined classes. You can develop your character in different directions, creating your own class as a result. You can get in the way of the warrior, battle mage, priest (i.e. mage, specializing mainly in defensive spells) or a combination of these ways in different proportions.
We have our own dialogue system for which you have to setup two additional buttons in the menu: one - to switch between anwers, the other - to use the selected one. These buttons are also used to select and cast defensive spells.
Compared with "The Inquisitor II", the set of weapons and monsters is significantly expanded. New spells and items in the inventory are also available.
There are 12 large maps combined into one hub.

Screenshots are shown below
Inq3_01.png
Inq3_02.png
Inq3_03.png
Inq3_04.png
Inq3_05.png
Inq3_06.png
Inq3_07.png
Inq3_08.png

Link on 'idgames' (02.12.2016 -old English version only, with compressed resources).
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/inqstr3e

New version see below.

====================================================

UPDATED 10.02.2019.

"The Inquisitor III" now is upgraded to "The Inquisitor 3d"!
The wad has been significantly improved in 2017–2018. I express my deep gratitude to Guest for the idea of improving the WAD and the work (especially on creating 3D models) that he has done for this.
The main changes are:
- many sprite objects were replaced by 3d models;
- the visual effects of 'Hellfire' and 'Flame Rain' spells;
- a new 'Homing Arrow' spell;
- new shops;
- the requirements for learning a number of spells and wearing armor;
- the ability to use mana cubes and Crater of Might by pressing the 'Reload' key (if the selected weapon takes mana);
- dialogue system (graphics and settings);
- additional menu for language selection and displaying markers on maps;
- information about quest items and keys has been added to the quest journal;
- method of using artifacts and taking ammo;
- parameters of some monsters (resistance to different types of damage, health, etc.)
- map 03 has been divided into two maps (03 and 12);
- fixed some bugs.

By default, J button - quest journal, P - shows hero's characteristics, M - opens menu with defensive spells, T - casts chosen defensive spell.
 You can customize hotkeys for 6 most important things in your inventory (healing potions and items that do damage to the monsters). Mana cubes and Crater of Might can be used by 'Reload' key. In control menu you can choose the language (English/Russian) and set markers on maps to be 'on'/'off'.

Command line for playing the game is:
gzdoom.exe -file inq3res.pk3 inqstr3d.wad

several new screens:

http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads/GZDoom/InquisitorIII/Inq3-01.png

http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads/GZDoom/InquisitorIII/Inq3-04.png

http://darkwatcher.freevar.com/DoomWads/GZDoom/InquisitorIII/Inq3-05.png

Download The Inquisitor 3d from Yandex-disk

Alternative link:
Download from File-up.org

Have a nice game!

Edited by Shadowman

I see the Impaler Crossbow in one of those screens; I have a newer set of sprites for that that I never got around to updating on Realm667, if you want them.

Thank you for sprites. But in "The Inquisitor III" 6 sprites used for this crossbow. In your new version there is only one sprite for the position (see in screens), but we use two sprites: B and C.
Could you add a similar sprite (CBOWC0) in a new set?

Nothing like that. While it uses some Blood visuals (like sawed-off and some textures), it is a megawad for GZDoom, in a dark fantasy setting. Try first two Inquisitors, and maybe you'll understand what I mean.

I'm sorry, it's just that I always have trouble separating ripped sprites from their original game (that, and I'm just a big fan of the original Blood). The level designs in the screenshots look really good though!

ETTiNGRiNDER
We decided to replace the sprites of the crossbow, adding the missing sprite. Thank you for sprites.

I note that you can configure several keys for quick use of the most important items in the inventory. Required button is (by default):
J - quest journal;
P - see a character's attributes;
R - select answers / select defensive spells
T - say the answer chosen / cast selected defensive spell

And more screenshots :)

Got a question. According to the rules in the 'Incoming' directory the file archive should not exceed 50 MB, and we have it about 110 MB. What should I do in this case? Can I download the file more than 50 MB?

Shadowman said:

Got a question. According to the rules in the 'Incoming' directory the file archive should not exceed 50 MB, and we have it about 110 MB. What should I do in this case? Can I download the file more than 50 MB?

It should be fine as long as you send an email to the archive maintainers first to let them know.

The wad was put into 'incoming' directory.
Temporal links:
https://yadi.sk/d/IQ9PJmwY322nv2
http://www.megafileupload.com/cdL5/inqstr3.zip

By default, J button - quest journal, P - to show hero's characteristics, R - choose the answer in dialogues or a defensive spell, T - to say a chosen answer in dialogues or to cast chosen defensive spell.
You can customize hotkeys for 8 most important things in your inventory (healing potions, artifacts that restore mana, items that damage monsters).
Also you can find a detailed description of the world of "The Inquisitor III" in the attached pdf-file 'Inquisitor-III-ENG.pdf' (English version) or 'Inquisitor-III-RUS.pdf' (Russian version).

Command line for playing the English version is:
gzdoom.exe -file inq3res.pk3 inqstr3e.wad

Command line for playing the Russian version is:
gzdoom.exe -file inq3res.pk3 inqstr3r.wad

Have a nice game!

The Inquisitor 3 team made some changes with their creation, and they've been able to cut down wad's size (approx. 50 MB, according to /idgames rules). I've been informed that The Inquisitor 3 will be put again in /incoming folder (sometime during this week), so the rest'll be up to /idgames admins. Though links in this thread are still active.

And yes, anyone made it to the end? Anyone has his/her opinions about Shadowman & BigMemka's (as well as Guest's) work?

I am playing through it right now and enjoying it a great deal. The English dialogue is much better than Inquisitor II, and the gameplay is much better than that in Inquisitor I.

The maps I've played so far look great. I think the RPG elements are well implemented. I very much enjoy the characters in the town of Tristan. Their dialogue feels authentic in a way that most RPG villagers' does not. Overall this WAD has a very good dark fantasy mood which is evoked with skill.

I am very much hoping, however, that there will be no "Easter Eggs" in the vein of Inquisitor I.

"I am very much hoping, however, that there will be no "Easter Eggs" in the vein of Inquisitor I."

When we create a third Inquisitor, the experience of negative perceptions of candidates for torture in the first Inquisitor was taken into account :))

The wad is now placed on 'idgames':
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/inqstr3e

This version contains only the English version of the wad and the compressed resources, which we were forced to make in order to stay within limits. One music track has been replaced by the midi music. Music in the forest (map 03 - The wilderness) has been replaced by a similar (but smaller in size) track.

The full version that contains English and Russian versions of the wad and
uncompressed resources still available on my website at the link in the 1-st post.

While GZDoom lags far too much beyond the enjoyable level on Linux, I checked the maps and most of the fancy stuff. Enormous stuff, with incredibly details and efforts!

Phenomenal work, guys, congratulations!

The difficulty curve is yet to be criticized, though - I mean, BigMemka has amazing maps in terms of layout and architecture, while almost all of them suffers from difficulty on gameplay side. At least for me.

Katamori said:

While GZDoom lags far too much beyond the enjoyable level on Linux, I checked the maps and most of the fancy stuff. Enormous stuff, with incredibly details and efforts!

Phenomenal work, guys, congratulations!

The difficulty curve is yet to be criticized, though - I mean, BigMemka has amazing maps in terms of layout and architecture, while almost all of them suffers from difficulty on gameplay side. At least for me.

Thank you for your praise of my style and architecture. But inquisitors gameplay is not like the classic doom gameplay. There much depends on you choose development. Game of the warrior or mage is quite different. Particularly in the middle and end of the game. Some places difficult to play for a warrior. Some places difficult to play for a mage.
But we tried observe game balance as much as better. I hope you will appreciate our efforts!

This is amazing! It feels like Diablo meets Doom with a little Elder Scrolls. Definitely not for people who want fast paced gameplay. This is an RPG experience and only uses the doom engine as a medium.

"BigMemka has amazing maps in terms of layout and architecture"

It is interesting how did you guess, what levels of Big Mehmka did, and what - am I?
Unfortunately, lags may be on slower computers. Alas, this increases the difficulty of the game, yes.

Hmm. I'm stuck in the cemetery too. I climbed onto the ruins, but there's nothing there and nothing seemed to happen. I hope you guys made sure every tag that is level progression related is in every skill level. I know sometimes that gets overlooked.