Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

Just bought overwatch, Anyone else play?

After the free weekend of it on xbox and watching my brother play, I decided to buy overwatch. Any one else play or has played it? What are your opinions about it? There were quite a few bungie references in there I caught, I wonder if they helped at all. genji looks like my favorite gameplay wise, a lot of the charactors look cool. Game got me interested enough to reinstall battlenet.

The thing that I like most (and possibly Overwatch's biggest downfall) is you don't have to have perfect aim to play and still be a valuable contributor to your team. Obviously that makes playing certain heroes a lot harder, too, though (like Widowmaker, that lately I've been doing a lot of practice on, almost obsessively).

Overwatch is more of a strategy FPS game than it is a run-in-guns-blazing-and-kill-as-many-as-you-can (which is a sure way to end up dead).

But I also know there are some major differences between the console version and the PC version of Overwatch. The heroes are balanced differently since you are expected to use a controller. So your experience is likely to be very much different from mine.

Also the PC version gets patches and updates a lot faster, due to the way console manufacturers operate.

Got my first whiff of it this weekend, and I'm very very impressed by what they've done. This is a good multiplayer FPS for people who don't like multiplayer FPS. At least at the pub level, it feels like situational awareness and strategy matter much more than twitch skill and repetition.

Not to say there's no thinking in normal shooters. To put the previous point in a different way... In your traditional FPS, there is a very high ceiling to the returns you get on good aim or fast reactions. This results in a high twitch skill *floor* to be able to compete - no amount of strategy will make up for shoddy aim in Quake.

Overwatch is more lenient on that front. Wide variety of heroes to accomodate people all around the skill curve, too. Everything is so intuitive, from the lobby telling you what the team composition lacks to being able to dynamically read about your hero skills within the game. This is something you can pick up with no knowledge and start having fun in the first five minutes. Casual gaming done well.

Skipped it because i don't like buying games on different DRMs (Using multiple DRMs), Steam is my fav, If it ever comes to steam, I might buy it .

The thing that I don't really like though is the whole loot box system. You can customize your heroes but you have to "earn" the rewards to do it (or just buy loot boxes but even then it is still random).

On the bright side though, they have stated once you buy Overwatch, all heroes both present and future are permanently unlocked. So that's pretty nice.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Skipped it because i don't like buying games on different DRMs (Using multiple DRMs), Steam is my fav, If it ever comes to steam, I might buy it .

Blizzard and Valve have a bit of a history and it's not a pleasant one. A lot of it has to do with DOTA and Warcraft 3, but Blizzard's parent company has also been involved with some bit of litigation with Valve.

The chances of ever seeing a Blizzard game on Steam within the next generation or two is very unlikely.

I played the beta but I'm not sure it's worth 60 dollars. If an FPS doesn't have a single player component I won't really be inclined to pay 60 dollars.

And Overwatch definitely has potential for Singleplayer/Coop stuff. I think it would be awesome if each character got a long mission where you have to use their strengths to finish the level and learn intricacies of the character. At the end of the level there could even be a showdown with their nemesis.

The problem with that is some of the characters are extremely group oriented, like Lúcio and Mercy.

I cannot see how making a campaign to learn either of those characters could possibly be fun outside of throwing the player right into the game proper with them.

But for most of the others, it might work.

Eruanna said:

The problem with that is some of the characters are extremely group oriented, like Lúcio and Mercy.

I cannot see how making a campaign to learn either of those characters could possibly be fun outside of throwing the player right into the game proper with them.

But for most of the others, it might work.

Well in that case they could support generic AI soldiers.

Imagine leading a squad of AI soldiers and your task is to buff/heal them. The more survive the better you do.

That's exactly my point, though - unless you're thinking of something I am not, to me that seems to be very dry and boring. It's like - "oh, you're healing someone. Well, that's ... that."

Something that teaches Lúcio's wall ride or learning when to use Mercy's Guardian Angel might not be too bad, though.

How about a PVPVE mode like Alterac Valley from wow where you capture objectives, fight bosses and players, defend forts and see the occasional cutscene.

I mean they made this awesome world but all the fighing in Deathmatch feels incredibly random and not in a good way.

You can tell this game was meant to be a lot more.

Actually you're right - it was meant to be a lot more. :(

Overwatch is the scrappings of what was once an unannounced MMO that was codenamed "Titan." After Blizzard scrapped the project they reused some of the assets and created a new game from the wreckage.

I'm hoping to see more of Titan's assets being reused, because I feel like they haven't even scratched the surface with what Titan was meant to be, yet.

It's 35 euros...Fuck, I have the urge to get it but I don't really know how the community is. I just want to relax and get better at the game at my own pace while not being completely useless. Is this that kind of game? Games that have communities and requirements like Dota 2 and LOL are not good for me.

If you stay out of the competitive scene you'll avoid a lot of the toxicity that the Overwatch community has to offer - but it still does exist in QuickPlay/Brawls to some extent.

If you want a comparison though, I'd say OW is nowhere near as bad as LOL with toxicity, though, and as a little plus it's easy enough to right-click-block on a person's name to permanently ignore them. (If they're that toxic to begin with they have nothing useful to say to you anyway, so you're really not missing anything if you do)

Also if enough people report a player for abusive language, their account gets silenced for 24 hours. So it really doesn't pay to be a dick on that game.

But - it's free weekend time and the discount will last for about a week beyond that - it's probably best to jump in and give it a try before you commit to the purchase since you have the opportunity to do so now.

You probably wouldn't want to play with someone like me, I kind of suck anyway. :P

Most of my best Widowmaker moments were really just me being lucky.

There's a thread on ZDoom about it but it hasn't gotten a lot of attention, I'd guess interest there isn't very high anyway.

I play very casually and I enjoy the game. I was looking for something to replace Tribes: Ascend, and while I don't enjoy it as much, I still think its a great team-game shooter.

It doesn't really look like the game for me, Idk why the graphics are just put me off and it resembles too much of a MOBA(which I cant stand)

Eruanna said:

Blizzard and Valve have a bit of a history and it's not a pleasant one.

The chances of ever seeing a Blizzard game on Steam

^are never going to happen. Also the relationship behind Valve and Blizzard isn't sour so to say, it's just Blizzard has to legally protect their Ips, no matter how much the flat out ripped from warhammer XD. My Blizz id is RotOut#1752.

I've been playing Overwatch for sometime. Real good shit, imo. Various play styles and a fun art direction. Community isn't terrible yet, either. I mostly play it with friends, though. Not to say I don't play by myself, either. I can fish out my tag eventually if anyone from here wants to queue up on PC.

Every community has its bad apples. Overwatch is no exception.

But since there's more to the game than "point the crosshairs at its head and press a mouse button" it's less appealing to people who'd rather do just that, so it attracts a bit of a different type of person than traditional shooters do.

Eruanna said:

Every community has its bad apples.

Shit, what was the name of that kid who always talked about trump, anime, and how much of a doom fan he was. He talked ALL the fucking time, and in paragraphs too. He got banned for it. Anyone rememebr his name?

ya, after checking it out today I'v got mixed feelings about it, but mostly positive. Alot of interesting playstyles, Sadly high majority of the characters move like ass. It's a cool game. I don't know If I like that automatic ledge crouch going on, but I guess it's nice touch for players whom suck at movement. If I'm going to continue to play I need to learn different play styles, this feels so far removed to everything I'm used to (and no, I don't main play games where the only goal is to aim at the enemies head.). It has a deepness to it that attracts me but it also Makes me feel extremely restricted.
(edit)^ ya, DoomRulez, I'm suprised he never came back with another username.

Yes! I really like this game.
My main is D.Va, however, when the team needs a support/healer (most of the time) and there's no one switching or picking them I play as mama Mercy or Lúcio.
I also like to play as Bastion in defense. Never get to play as offense.

Now that Sombra is avaiable there's always one in each team, so is nice to have the stealth hero on your side but playing against her is a pain in the ass.

I don't own a copy myself but I have played it for quite a bit (to say I don't actually own it).

I'm surprising good at Pharah and Ana, I find them extremely fun and effective to play as.

Ledillman said:

Yes! I really like this game.
My main is D.Va, however, when the team needs a support/healer (most of the time) and there's no one switching or picking them I play as mama Mercy or Lúcio.
I also like to play as Bastion in defense. Never get to play as offense.

Now that Sombra is avaiable there's always one in each team, so is nice to have the stealth hero on your side but playing against her is a pain in the ass.

My main is technically Mercy but lately I've played a lot of anything but.

I find Sombra is useful when the enemy has a tight defense that you can't get past. It's too bad that she gets instalocked quickly, usually by someone who plays a little too conservatively. Sometimes you can't be afraid of doing suicide runs on Sombra - she's supposed to go in there, hack something, get a few critical strikes (hopefully take out the enemy's healer), and if she's lucky MAYBE she'll survive all that.

Phml said:

Overwatch is more lenient on that front. Wide variety of heroes to accomodate people all around the skill curve, too. Everything is so intuitive, from the lobby telling you what the team composition lacks to being able to dynamically read about your hero skills within the game. This is something you can pick up with no knowledge and start having fun in the first five minutes. Casual gaming done well.

There is nothing casual about Overwatch.... It's an esports games...

Why people think that because "x" fps doesn´t play like Quake 3 then it´s casual....

Quake 3 could be more of a casual game if think about it, since you don't need to invest a lot of time to get good... Just a good mouse and start fragging with the Rocket Launcher or RailGun..

I miss the time when gamers were gamers and not "CASUAL" "MASTER RACE"......

A low barrier of entry does not imply a low ceiling. You're having a kneejerk reaction to a single word.