Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightFright

MiniDOOM sidescroller

Has anybody checked out MiniDOOM yet? It looks quite nice, and it's just an 11 MB download.

MiniDOOM 2 (based on Doom II) is announced for second week of December already - if you want more.

Well the gameplay looks decent, Metal Slug style:

The game looks awesome. Then I played it. I just don't like it. I don't like the jump, it feels like there's little to no weight. Excuse my snobbery.

Enemies take a lot of damage, which I guess they always did in Doom. Even barrels take a lot of damage. On my third time playing I finally found one of the two shotguns in the first level.

There is poor enemy placement too when I have to jump and shoot so many times. The game puts you into situations where you leave a room and get shot immediately with no chance to avoid it. However, you have plenty of health and armor to make up for it. It turns into a situation where its just easier to run through enemies than fight them.

The pause crashed the game: o_pausa_Create_0

I'd prefer gamepad support, but with joy2key I can just do it myself... but I shouldn't have to. Excuse my snobbery.

With all its faults it has to be the best Doom sidescroller and I've played a lot over the years. Plus this one has custom art too. I think that's the real selling point.

I expect to be in the minority here. Perhaps I'm being too stiff a critic when I should just be yelling DOOM! I was looking forward to it when I saw the trailer and had to jump in.

I had a feeling there was something iffy when the player in the trailer appeared to be taking significant damage while playing most of the time. It has a tendency to make the skill ceiling look not very high. Like the part where he blew up all those barrels. Are you supposed to have god mode on at that part? I haven't played it yet -- just a casual observer.

Just looked it us, thinking it was some old garbage, but I'm mistaken. Game Maker has come a looong way since the last time I looked at it. :)

Macblain said:

This screams Game Maker. You guys should check it out. It's easy to learn and fun to tinker with.

Yeah it is GameMaker. The telltale sign is the crash report. They have a GameMaker Studio 2 coming out that has a more Unreal approach to drag and drop. I have a feeling it will still be laughed at outside of the once a year hit game that uses the engine.

geo said:

Yeah it is GameMaker. The telltale sign is the crash report. They have a GameMaker Studio 2 coming out that has a more Unreal approach to drag and drop. I have a feeling it will still be laughed at outside of the once a year hit game that uses the engine.

Heh yeah, it's like the ol' Visual Basic. It could be used to quickly create very useful programs and for prototyping. But so many kids and amateurs used it to create utter crap that it got a bad reputation.

Stealth Bastard is a great Game Maker game irrc. With excellent lighting. And it's a very old game by now.

VGA said:

Heh yeah, it's like the ol' Visual Basic. It could be used to quickly create very useful programs and for prototyping. But so many kids and amateurs used it to create utter crap that it got a bad reputation.

Stealth Bastard is a great Game Maker game irrc. With excellent lighting. And it's a very old game by now.

So old it has a sequel. Like people complain about AAA games, indie games too crank out sequel after sequel. I'm looking at you Five Nights.... 4 games in a 12 month period. Now that's episodic content.