Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

The scientist in Delta Labs 4

Seeing as he's got blood all over him, he could already be zombified.

Spoiler

My thought process when reading this thread was "What the hell kind of question is...wait a minute"

Maybe he was the last guy in an expedition team to run through the portal while they were all running for their lives. As he was running in, the first few were coming out on the other side yelling "shut it off! shut it off!" So they closed the portal, and that guy and the two barons were suspended in time until it was reopened.

Never thought about it...

I think the post directly above me has got a good theory going.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

How did he survive in Hell so long?

You do find PDAs from other scientists who were exploring hell. It seems that the demons don't necessarily immediately attack any human being that enters their realm.

Tetzlaff said:

You do find PDAs from other scientists who were exploring hell. It seems that the demons don't necessarily immediately attack any human being that enters their realm.

In the case of ones like Simon Garlick, they actively let a few live so they could toy with them and drive them insane.

^ Ahh yeah I remember listening to those PDA messages. That was damn terrifying. Hearing them with all those creepy hell ambient noises going on in the background. One of the scariest aspects of Doom 3 was exploring all the optional lore.

Part of the reason I hate the BFG Edition is because it emphasizes speed and action. Doom 3 was never meant to be played fast. The classic Doom games encouraged rushing, but Doom 3 actually gets better the slower you play it. Soaking up all the creepy ambiance. Vanilla with the flashlight and dark shadows, listening to all the PDA logs and reading through the emails. Just made everything feel so much more real and immersive.

Also the original game had way less health and ammo. So it felt more like a survival horror instead of an action horror. Sort of like the difference between the first two Alien movies.

Still at certain points of the original release you did end up getting too much ammo, the transition from Mars to Hell however did take your ammo away which I guess helped for a bit at preventing you from gaining too much ammo. At the final map there is more than enough ammo to pick up for sure, you will likely not even be able to pick up most of it.

I guess my memory is fuzzy on the ammo side of things. Probably because of all the survival mods I've used over the years. Hmm... so ammo has always been an issue in Doom 3 then. Even vanilla. Really makes me question their choice of wanting to add EVEN MOAR AMMO now.

It sure seems weird that a UAC scientist survived so long in Hell. I think he had a stock of weapons with him too. That's why you find some weapons when you visit Hell.

Time in hell is apparently inconsistent according to some logs so I imagine he was in there for what felt like minutes but was instead hours being fucked with.

On ‎2016‎. ‎11‎. ‎21‎. at 6:39 PM, MeetyourUnmaker said:

How did he survive in Hell so long? and why didn't they attack him until he got back into Mars?

because the story is programmed that way.....

On 11/22/2016 at 2:48 AM, GuyMcBrofist said:

Maybe he was the last guy in an expedition team to run through the portal while they were all running for their lives. As he was running in, the first few were coming out on the other side yelling "shut it off! shut it off!" So they closed the portal, and that guy and the two barons were suspended in time until it was reopened.

If that was the case, the Hell Knights should hve killed him way before the portal was reopened.

9 hours ago, TFK said:

If that was the case, the Hell Knights should hve killed him way before the portal was reopened.

On 11/21/2016 at 9:48 PM, GuyMcBrofist said:

suspended in time

On 11/24/2016 at 6:39 PM, RUSH said:

^ Ahh yeah I remember listening to those PDA messages. That was damn terrifying. Hearing them with all those creepy hell ambient noises going on in the background. One of the scariest aspects of Doom 3 was exploring all the optional lore.

Part of the reason I hate the BFG Edition is because it emphasizes speed and action. Doom 3 was never meant to be played fast. The classic Doom games encouraged rushing, but Doom 3 actually gets better the slower you play it. Soaking up all the creepy ambiance. Vanilla with the flashlight and dark shadows, listening to all the PDA logs and reading through the emails. Just made everything feel so much more real and immersive.

Also the original game had way less health and ammo. So it felt more like a survival horror instead of an action horror. Sort of like the difference between the first two Alien movies.

I love seeing when people understand what Doom 3 is all about. You have to play it differently to be able to enjoy it. Replaying it now and dare I say I enjoy it more than DOOM 2016 if I play it like I'm playing Doom 3 and not classic Doom.

basically, to make display for the cinematic :P

But apart from that, it's true scientists have survived longer in Hell not being found or attacked by any demons. I think the idea is he ran to the portal and the Hell Knights just caught up with him once on this side.

Also, this part is made such to mimic the events of 'the bruiser brothers' at the conclusion of episode one in Doom so (yes, the conclusion of the episode...) I guess that's the closest incarnation of Buddy Dacote we've actually seen yet