Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Doom Music Composer Bobby Prince Battling Cancer

Here's hoping to a positive & progressive outcome. In this day with modern medicine and technology, the odd's of quick recovery are definitely in ones favor :)

Well I'm hoping not only does he beat the cancer, but that it never returns. :)

I've never had it before, but from what I have heard it is extremely painful. I simply cannot imagine living my life with that much pain, for days-months-years at a time.

When my time comes, I am hoping cancer will have nothing to do with it.

Damn. My uncle had this and he's recovered well after surgery so there is some hope.

HorrorMovieGuy said:

At least colon cancer isn't one of the more lethal types of cancer. We can only hope that everything turns out fine.

myk said:

Damn. My uncle had this and he's recovered well after surgery so there is some hope.

This is what Totalhalibut said last year...

The fundraiser page hasn't been updated since the last update in may, but today a new post made it to BPMusic: http://bobbyprincemusic.blogspot.com/2017/08/the-dark-ages-of-pc-games.html

Its a little weird nothing more has been written in the fundraiser, so I'm just going to guess that things have gone well enough for him to at least get back to work.

EDIT: he's still at it! This time he's revealed some stuff about the Duke Nukem 3D boss sounds, including the set of potential sounds, as well as a bit of other details about the Duke3D sound effects and working on sounds back then. http://bobbyprincemusic.blogspot.com/2017/08/boss-sounds-in-duke-nukem-3d.html

Edited by InsanityBringer

Digging up and dusting off this old thread to ask, if anyone has heard anything from Bobby lately? His last blog post was from October 2018. Is he doing well? 

I'm glad the goal has been surpassed and I truly wish Bobby all the best. On a side note, it's completely fucked that this is even necessary, I still can't wrap my head around the fact that American's can't just go to the hospital and get treated. I don't wanna start a discussion on healthcare so don't bother reply about, I just wanted to say it's fucked.

On 9/24/2020 at 6:02 PM, xvertigox said:

American's can't just go to the hospital and get treated.

It's just how our structure of government works. We pay less taxes at the expense of free healthcare and schooling. I don't think it is an awful idea, but I can see how others from other countries would see it as strange. He might spend the rest of his life paying medical bills, but at least he was treated for a terrible disease. 

5 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

It's just how our structure of government works. We pay less taxes at the expense of free healthcare and schooling. I don't think it is an awful idea, but I can see how others from other countries would see it as strange. He might spend the rest of his life paying medical bills, but at least he was treated for a terrible disease. 

Its still an awful idea.

I am saying this living in a economy renowned for its healthcare (Netherlands) and working in that field. (Medical IT, but okay). When i hear complaints here about our dramatic healthcare system, i usually point to America to see how effed up your situation would be if you didn't have all the safety nets that we have. Our complaints are complaints of being spoiled, not because our system is actually that terrible.

The US Healthcare system is an ancient system that simply does not work within the kind of democracy that the US wants to perpetuate to the outside.

I’m sorry you had to deal with such an insane expense over something like that, essel. I’m truly lucky to have escaped to a land where I haven’t paid more than a paltry sum here and there for medical treatment. It feels good knowing that, even if something really unfortunate happens with my health or the health of a loved one - which is absolutely inevitable for every human - at least it won’t result in total bankruptcy or that my fate won’t be completely determined by some inept insurance company. My mother has been hospitalised multiple times in the last year alone for some long term medical complications. I honestly just try to avoid thinking about the alternate universe where my family and I hadn’t made it to somewhere a little more 21st century.

9 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

It's just how our structure of government works. We pay less taxes at the expense of free healthcare and schooling. I don't think it is an awful idea, but I can see how others from other countries would see it as strange.

The end result is that the USA spend about twice as much per capita on healthcare as other developed western countries.

Now if you only look at the public spending per capita on healthcare, then in the USA it's about 2/3rd of what other developed western countries spend.

In other words: paying slightly less taxes means you pay a whole lot more out of pocket. So much more that you'd actually have more money at the end of the day if you paid higher taxes to get a European/Canadian style healthcare system. Isn't that funny?

Other consequences of the US healthcare system: given how expensive it is, lots of people cannot afford to get checked regularly. If they have a problem, then they have to hope it's nothing serious and walk it off. Which means that if it's actually something serious, it's more likely to be detected quite late once it has progressed a lot and treatment becomes difficult, instead of being detected early when it can be cured more simply. In other words, you save a little bit of money in the immediate terms and lose a lot more in the long term -- or you lose your life.

How about not being able to get enough sick days to recover fully before going back to work, because your insurance is paid by your employer, so if you take "too many" sick days as judged by your employer you get fired and lose your insurance? That's fun too. Now imagine that the reason you're sick is that you've caught a highly-contagious disease. You want to keep your job, so you go to work with your highly-contagious disease  and contaminate all your coworkers. Again, you see how the whole penny-pinching small-mindedness only serves to cause more damage and cost more money?

20 hours ago, esselfortium said:

I just got a bill in the mail for $1300 for one hour spent in the ER for a health scare last month. (It was a false alarm, don't worry.) That's with a health insurance plan. Without insurance, the bill for such a short time in the ER is an even more preposterous $3700. I can't afford to do that again, so next time I probably just won't go to the hospital, and will just have to hope that it's not something serious.

Sucks to hear you had to go through the machinery for a health scare, let alone the insane bill (1300, what? We have own risk plans that highlight that to a certain amount, stuff is covered for. Anything about that costs money, but even that gets discounted).

The without-health insurance bill sounds even more inane and its exactly everything wrong with the system there. Because so many things cost a ton of money, people are actually inclined to not go in case of any issues, purely because of the potential bill they will be facing, even with health insurance.

If that does not highlight how broken a system is (That not going in fear of the bill is a geniune option people will choose over their own health) then i don't know what else does.

This is with a health insurance plan that would cost over $500 per month if I wasn't getting an ACA subsidy. If my income increases, btw, the subsidy goes away. Our health care system absolutely does not work, and the bandaids that have been applied to try salvaging it have only made its failures more obvious.

I have a health plan that is like 115 euros a month, i believe. It concerns the basic care (Which still includes coverage for rare things), own risk up to 250 euros i believe, teeth care/own risk and so on. That is definitely manageable. If you have a monthly tax refund of 100+ euros, it goes even lower.

Edited by Redneckerz

There are still a lot of benefits to the U.S. Healthcare system. Also, you may be in debt, but you can still go to the hospital without insurance. And without the pandemic, only 28 million americans do not have Healthcare, which is less than 10% of the population. We have the most advanced research, and the highest survival rate of diseases like Cancer. Yes, it is expensive, but there are still many advantages. 

4 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

There are still a lot of benefits to the U.S. Healthcare system.

Name them please.

Also, you may be in debt, but you can still go to the hospital without insurance. And without the pandemic, only 28 million americans do not have Healthcare, which is less than 10% of the population.

Please tell this to @esselfortium and ask how this message improves her healthcare.

Saying there are advantages without naming them or comparing them is futile.

Here is one comparison: 28 million citizens w/o healthcare is nearly twice the population of my entire country.

We have the most advanced research, and the highest survival rate of diseases like Cancer. Yes, it is expensive, but there are still many advantages. 

Like what? We also have advanced research in several fields of science. That says nothing about the anemic state of the US healthcare system.

On 9/24/2020 at 6:02 PM, xvertigox said:

I don't wanna start a discussion on healthcare so don't bother reply about, I just wanted to say it's fucked.

Never fails...

Also, if you don't live in the US it's probably best to not worry about US healthcare. I promise they don't care about your healthcare. If you have enough time to worry about what the US is doing then keep yourself busy in your utopia of health and safety, because you're not helping from the sidelines.

Every time this thread gets bumped, I keep thinking something worse happened to Bobby Prince. Can we just take this topic elsewhere?

1 hour ago, Gothic said:

Every time this thread gets bumped, I keep thinking something worse happened to Bobby Prince. Can we just take this topic elsewhere?

Seconding this.
I know healthcare is important, but well, better talk about it somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Gothic said:

From my end, yeah my bad. I should not have been bothered to respond to Lit's style of posting.