Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TerminX

Looking for / Want to buy: Registered Doom Mail Order (Approx Values, offers, etc)

Original boxed copies of Doom are not hugely rare and tend to go on eBay for anywhere from $50 up to a couple hundred dollars, depending on condition, rarity, and luck. (It's actually harder to find the comic book based on the game than the actual game itself, ironically enough.) If you do decide to list it, make sure to play up the fact that it is version 1.1, the ORIGINAL VERSION, not one of those cheap inferior v1.2 or v1.666 poseurs. Also that v1.2 patch disk is unusual and not someting I am sure I have seen before, which might help make the package more esoteric and valuable.

From a quick search here's a recent listing of a v1.2 copy that sold for $187, so you should be shooting for somewhere north of that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOM-PC-Game-Original-registered-v1-2-Vintage-3-5-Floppy-Disks-Box-and-Book/272893769679?hash=item3f89bc77cf:g:9bEAAOSwl9RZ6LU9

Edit: as a more direct comparison, here's a thread from last year where a guy was selling his good-condition registered Doom v1.1, and it apparently went for over $300:

See if you can get John Romero to sign it. If you do, the sky is the limit, based on that signed non-1.1 getting as much as it did. 

On 22.12.2017 at 7:13 AM, printz said:

they may damage at any time

They WILL be damaged at any time. But dd is your friend.

I made backups using dd for all of my floppy disks some years ago.

I have an original Doom pc game from 1993.  It has the 4 registered disks, a 1.2 upgrade from 1994, original receipt from IDSoftware, manual & box.  I have been told this is possibly worth something. Is that true?

Doom.png

As long as it's legitimate it's worth money. But it's really worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It's a mail order copy, and they aren't incredibly common, but it's been opened, the manual has crinkles in it. But I would say you could get at least $150.00, maybe $200.00 for it on Ebay. Or look around for collectors, they might be willing to pay more. So it's not worthless, but it's not like winning the lottery. If it was unopened I could see adding another 0 to the numbers. At least the first one... minus $500.

And really, if you are looking to sell it, it might help to wait until after the next Doom is released. It'll probably drive up hype.

Edited by Jello

Thanks.  I am not sure right now what I am going to do.  I have a closet shelf full of old games and I am just starting to go through them.

Looks to be in pretty good condition and still having the invoice is a rare treat. I foresee you getting a few hundreds bucks easy.

Hey all, looking to buy a copy of doom to add to my collection. It was THE game for me growing up and im looking to get a copy to hold onto forever.

I know theres a doom full version and a shareware version. Im seeing shareware versions going for 300+ on ebay. Is this a fair price? I was hoping to spend less on a boxed copy of doom full or shareware, but if thats what they go for, then i guess it is what it is!

Dont need it to be amazing condition or sealed, just a decent copy that I can display. 

thanks

Well, the point of the shareware releases is that they were free to share around in order to promote the full, paid version. Was there even a 'boxed' version of that at all? Offiical floppies, perhaps. But why would anyone have paid good money for the free part of it?

I think you might be seeing unofficial 'shareware' (in quotes because they took free content and charged money for it) releases that bundled up usermade wads onto a disk/floppy. I was born too late for that area with doom, but definitely lived through the era of shareware game collection disks full of stuff anyone with an internet connection could simply download for free.

30 minutes ago, Gradius said:

Well, the point of the shareware releases is that they were free to share around in order to promote the full, paid version. Was there even a 'boxed' version of that at all? Offiical floppies, perhaps. But why would anyone have paid good money for the free part of it?

I think you might be seeing unofficial 'shareware' (in quotes because they took free content and charged money for it) releases that bundled up usermade wads onto a disk/floppy. I was born too late for that area with doom, but definitely lived through the era of shareware game collection disks full of stuff anyone with an internet connection could simply download for free.

Id's Publisher definitely put out boxed versions of the shareware in stores (you were basically just being charged for the packaging). From what I've see they can go for $300+ depending on condition and completion. Even Ultimate Doom boxes can fetch around $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOM-PC-Big-Box-Shareware-3-5-Floppy-with-Box-Great-Condition-WOW/202878737739?hash=item2f3c83dd4b:g:bgYAAOSwIxFeH5vo 

Depends which version it is. You can get Doom on floppy disk as well as CD ROM, and the floppy disk version might have more value to collectors.

There's the mail-order version of Doom which can be expensive, like between 300-500, and then there's the 1995 The Ultimate Doom release, which comes on both floppy disk as well as CD ROM. That's usually priced at 80-100. Then there's the Depths of Doom collection at 100, plus there is a release of Doom, Doom II & Final Doom that's called The Collectors Edition of Doom. That tends to not be that expensive, like from 20-30 sometimes.

5 hours ago, Gradius said:

Think he means The Ultimate Doom.

4 hours ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

1995 The Ultimate Doom release, which comes on both floppy disk as well as CD ROM. That's usually priced at 80-100. Then there's the Depths of Doom collection at 100

Everytime i see "The Ultimate Doom" it's usually the Macintosh version and those ones are much cheaper ($50-ish or so). The DOS/Win95 versions are much more (definitely $100 US or so). Sometimes they are cheaper but they could be missing the poster and/or other contents.

The Depths of Doom collection can be $100 or so but when its around that price it can either be missing something and/or the box is beat up. They are usually a tad more now for a nice one from what i've seen anyways.

There were a ton of shareware versions of Doom. The one that came in a bigbox that was shown up above (the GT Interactive published one) is really expensive but it is pretty rare i think. There were other versions that came in packs with 10 other games/applications, ect, so they are sold as disc only now on ebay starting at like $10 or so (US dollars) and they were sold by other companies. There were also jewel case CD versions that were sold as well as floppy ones too that were sold by other companies as well. Those can run more money, depending on if they came in a case/box or not. I believe a standard shareware copy was around $5-10 at the time when brand new, if not free.

Spoiler

s-l1600.jpg

Spoiler

s-l1600.jpg

The original mail order Doom is pretty damn pricey as stated above in another post. Those are what every collector wants but good luck trying to find one for a decent price!

Spoiler

s-l1600.jpg

There are lots of variations really. There's also a very rare 5.25 inch floppy diskette release of Doom.

TUDPoster.jpg

3db7130e0d25f02d877b75b0e4a6b642.jpg

The-Ultimate-Doom-Thy-Flesh-Consumed-Brand.jpg

DoomAus.jpg

s-l500.jpg

I would love to have that Australian release of Doom. I love the box.

Edited by Boaby Kenobi

4 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

The one that came in a bigbox that was shown up above (the GT Interactive published one) is really expensive but it is pretty rare i think.

I don't know how rare they are today, but ten or fifteen years ago, there where tons of it at ebay. Those where sold shrinkwrapped together with the GTI release of Wolfenstein 3-D, and back then you got them rather cheap still shrinkwrapped.

Yes, I am sure. The ORDER.FRM bundled with the latest shareware release mentions it.

PRODUCT                                 US/CAN          EUROPEAN

DOOM:
[ ] DOOM 3.5"                           $40.00          £27.00
[ ] DOOM CD (avail. after 3-1-95)       $40.00          £27.00
[ ] DOOM Hint Book                      $15.00          £10.00
[ ] DOOM/id T-shirt  S  M  L  XL        $13.00          £9.00

7 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

Yes, I am sure. The ORDER.FRM bundled with the latest shareware release mentions it.

PRODUCT                                 US/CAN          EUROPEAN

DOOM:
[ ] DOOM 3.5"                           $40.00          £27.00
[ ] DOOM CD (avail. after 3-1-95)       $40.00          £27.00
[ ] DOOM Hint Book                      $15.00          £10.00
[ ] DOOM/id T-shirt  S  M  L  XL        $13.00          £9.00

Well damn. If that's true, that's pretty cool! Hell, the only thing i own is the Doom hint book haha!

But anyways at the OP @doomdoom: I would suggest just buying a boxed copy of either The Ultimate Doom if you don't want to spend crazy amounts of money or a boxed copy of the original mail order Doom if you do, especially if you plan on showcasing it.

1 hour ago, cybdmn said:

Are you sure? Last time i heard about them, it seems that id Software never released Doom on CD, and that this is in fact a pirated copy.

Bootleg/pirated versions of registered (3-episode) DOOM on CD do exist.  The one shown in the linked image is authentic.  Note how the disc is stored in a sleeve, and the disc label shows the box art.  Fake versions of the mail-order box (which I see on eBay occasionally) contain a jewel case instead, and the disc label is black with the DOOM logo on it.

I have been scouring the internet for years trying to find a full version of Doom 1 on Floppydisk, to no avail, also can someone explain to me WHY THE FUCK is the 3rd book for the Doom novel series SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE?!?

Guest MIND

New and sealed in the original big box. not cheap. 300 USD +. Its insane. I'm a collector but I dont have that sort of cash for a game to just spend.

I'm happy with just the jewel case and CD.

Quake 2 sealed was 400!

4 hours ago, Morpheus666 said:

I have been scouring the internet for years trying to find a full version of Doom 1 on Floppydisk, to no avail, also can someone explain to me WHY THE FUCK is the 3rd book for the Doom novel series SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE?!?

Are you talking about the first print cover or the re-release?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osacat=267&_odkw=doom+novel+infernal+sky&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=doom+infernal+sky&_sacat=267

16 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

I was wanting the First Print, (all of the other 3 are the first print so i was wanting to have a original copy.)

Unfortunately i'm quite sure i would need to travel back to the 90's and grab a original copy. (probably stay there as well)