Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TerminX

Looking for / Want to buy: Registered Doom Mail Order (Approx Values, offers, etc)

Hi, thought I would let all you Doom gamers out there that I found a 1993 Id Software Registered Version of 5.25" floppy disk...awesome condition...figure its worth quite a bit, but have listed on Ebay with no reserve and a $1 starting bid..free shipping.

should be a fun auction to watch and see what happens

1993 DOOM REGISTERED VERSION 1.1 ON 5.25" FLOPPY DISK - HOLY GRAIL - RARE - MINT

good luck if any of you are interested

What a slender little box. A lot of the old ones I (used to) have are enormous honkers, none bigger than Might and Magic 4.

I'm pretty surprised, and actually a little skeptical. I didn't know that Doom was ever issued on 5.25".

Both of my 486 computers have a 5.25" drive in addition to the 3.5" drive, so it wasn't incredibly rare for computers of that time to still have one. I've never seen Doom in that format however, this is a cool find indeed.

There were plenty of 5.25" drives around in 1993. I hated them as it seemed wrong that they were so unprotected. When I first got a PC around 1992 it was usual for them to have both types of floppy drive, but I asked for mine to have only the 3.5" drive despite there being no price reduction - I had my principles :-).

5.25" drives disappeared very rapidly after that anyway. Then CDs and DVDs came along with even less protection than 5.25" floppies - because CDs came from the Hi-Fi music world where there was already a tradition of handling records with silk gloves so to speak - or literally.

Jon said:

I'm pretty surprised, and actually a little skeptical. I didn't know that Doom was ever issued on 5.25".

It's mentioned in order.frm with early versions, I believe, along with the CDROM registered version. Both are incredibly rare.

There has been so much stuff lately that has tempted me to put a giant burning hole in my wallet, but I've resisted.. I may just have to bid on this little gem

5.25" floppies could get away with less protection thanks to reduced data density/bigger surface area. If anything, it's the 1.2 MB 5.25" format that was quite rare: most users had transitioned straight from 5.25" 360KB drives to 3.5" (no matter if DD or HD), and 5.25" 1.2MB was a less sought-after upgrade path, almost as rare as 3.5" ED 2.88 MB. Most of the 5.25" drives and floppies that can still be found are actually the older 360 KB ones.

Wow, this set has really taken on some interest..Thanks for allowing me to post on your site. Good Luck if you are planning on bidding. Who knows if and when it will be available again.

Auction ends in a few hours

Jim

jimboweeee said:

Wow, this set has really taken on some interest..Thanks for allowing me to post on your site. Good Luck if you are planning on bidding. Who knows if and when it will be available again.

Auction ends in a few hours

Jim

Wow, that sold for a pretty penny. Congratulations!

fraggle said:

It's mentioned in order.frm with early versions, I believe, along with the CDROM registered version. Both are incredibly rare.

IIRC, the earliest CD-ROM versions are Doom 1.2. It would be interesting if 1.1 exists.

Plasma Gun said:

Wow, that sold for a pretty penny. Congratulations!

I expect to a Youtuber or on the flip side a private collector that will lock it away so its never seen again.

chungy said:

IIRC, the earliest CD-ROM versions are Doom 1.2. It would be interesting if 1.1 exists.

I don't think so. Doom's order.frm file included with v1.9 says:

[ ] DOOM CD (avail. after 3-1-95)       $40.00          £27.00
Any CD version would have been v1.9 by then.

And after commenting the other day I found this thread which suggests that Registered Doom was never properly released on CD.

Hi to the whole community of Doomworld ! :)

I am newbie to this board that I experienced by documenting myself on different versions of the original version of Doom.

I am a French collector (sorry for my bad english) and I play Doom since I am a kid on PC. I recently finished the 2016 remake of Doom distributed by Bethesda that I find excellent and I wanted to put in search of the first edition of Doom in its Mail Order version for a birthday gift :)

I did a lot of research and I could see that prices could very depending on the version (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.666). I also gather more informations with this forum and I thank you !

My question : what would be the reasonable price of a Doom Mail Order version in a very good state ?

I have the possibility to buy a Mail Order in average state (I think it’s the 1.0 versio) for 310€ in Europe (around 331$) but I am not really sure that it’s a good deal...

Can you guide me please?

A big thanks to you in advance to all !

I ran across my original floppies of Doom v1.1 (Registered) with box, manual and v1.2 patch disk. I can't really find any other recent v1.1's for sale. Does anyone know what this might be worth?

IMG_20171221_215814-02.jpg

I found the original game on ebay for 255$. And the highest price I could find of Doom 2 was 80$. Just so you know.

Why pay for media you can't even use any more? And them being floppies, they may damage at any time, especially if you expose them.

Depending on their condition, the price would range between around 100$ to over 200 from what I see on the internet. Either way, since floppy disks have been abandoned for decades, the only purpose they'd serve now would be valuable collectors items.

One of the reasons I feel that DOOM boxes are more valued is that you can know that somebody actually called or mailed id to obtain it. This wasn't just walking in to a store and picking it off the shelf, like with DOOM II. In that way, it's more of a 'personal' artefact and more valuable as a historical comment.

55 minutes ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

I have seen some listings that include a separate addendum booklet.  Is it missing, or was it not included in all mail-order copies?

I don't remember ever having one, but it could have gotten separated. I was thinking it only came with later versions.

To be fair they look like they're in really good condition. A serious collector of the Doom series or just a video game enthusiast would pay good money for them. 

If it was the mail-order CD-ROM version instead of the floppy version, I would probably be interested (although a CD-ROM version would likely be extremely expensive due to its rarity).  I don't really collect floppy disks aside from very specific releases of certain games (and only if they have relatively low prices, as I don't really like paying a lot of money for something that may not work or I may not be able to use...even if it is a collector's item).