Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnnyTheWolf

Worth Buying Now?

So because I enjoy the gameplay of the Doom 4 for Doom mod, I am willing to give its inspiration a shot and look past the many issues I have with the game's presentation, especially now that I have been gifted a Steam card and Doom 2016 has a 67% discount as part of the Steam's Autumn Sale.

However, I have to wonder if I should rather wait for a proper definitive edition. I do not care about multiplayer at all, but from what I heard, there is a possibility id may release additional single-player content in the near future.

What do you think?

IMO it was worth buying in the first place, but most certainly grab it now. If your experience of the single-player is limited to the demo, rest assured that it gets way more fun a couple of missions in.

As I said, having played both the demo multiple times and Doom 4 for Doom, I actually enjoy the gameplay.

My problem is with the game's presentation. That is why I was unwilling to pay full price for the game.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

As I said, having played both the demo multiple times and Doom 4 for Doom, I actually enjoy the gameplay.

My problem is with the game's presentation. That is why I was unwilling to pay full price for the game.

The presentation of it being a game with good gameplay? Yeah I hate it when games have good gameplay too. Sucks the immersion right out.
Seriously what does presentation even mean in this case? Graphics? Music? Hell? The graphics are fucking baller and is technologically superior to anything else in 2016, the music is unbeatable and Hell looks like a Metal album cover (which yes is a good thing). The presentation here is top notch.

Since I don't know what your problems with the presentation of the game is, I don't know yet if recommending it to you would be a good idea. It'd help if you could perhaps elaborate on what these problems are?

The main strengths of the game is definitively in the gameplay department, because that is very good, but if you expect stuff like deep character development of the main protagonist, you won't find it in this game; the player's motivation is simple: He hates basically everyone he comes across in the game and wishes nothing more than to brutally slaughter that which he hates, i.e. the Demons and, to a lesser extent, the Corporation that brought about the disaster.

Don't expect much mystery revolving around the Demons either; They're rage-fuelled Demons, they're bad and they deserve to get slaughtered - that is all the game feels you need to know about them.

The more interesting story aspect is derived from lore - I for one think the lore is quite adequate and satisfying to read, even if it avoids definitively answering certain questions - it deliberately leaves a lot in the dark to allow players to speculate, but I hold that to be a good thing. Others might find this "lazy" or a downright turnoff.

dsm said:

Since I don't know what your problems with the presentation of the game is, I don't know yet if recommending it to you would be a good idea. It'd help if you could perhaps elaborate on what these problems are?

I absolutely despise the music, I dislike the design of the monsters and the weapons (except the Super Shotgun, but that is because it looks almost exactly like its previous incarnations), the locations and graphics strike me as bland, the story is insipid and unexciting (Hell invades Mars again, gee how original...), Doomguy's attitude is annoying and I do not like the supporting cast (Doctor Nanosuit, wannabe HAL9000 and Rule 63 Betruger).

In that case, I certainly can't recommend Doom 2016.

It'd be like forcing me to like Quake 1 back in 1996 (when I absolutely detested the music and overall theme of that game, not to mention the low-poly models which I found butt-ugly in a very bad way) - and I tried to like that game. Even put in music CDs that I enjoyed, with the result of the atmosphere feeling "wrong".

If you dislike Doom2016's music, it'd leave the option to turn it off, but that would leave a vital part of the game's atmosphere void, which would leave it unsatisfying.

If you detest the design of the monsters, you'd be assailed at every moment by how ugly you're finding them and that would ruin the fun.

Likewise with how bland you're finding the environments - a key cornerstone of the enjoyment of an FPS is through traversal of environment that one finds cool. If you hate techbases and medieval-esque Hellscapes, you'll hate your time with this game.

As for the story of Hell invading Mars, well, better prepare to never play a new Doom game ever again, because I doubt we'll ever see anything more "in-depth" than Demons invading our universe one way or the other - I and lots of other Doom fans consider that basic theme a cornerstone of the Doom franchise. Remove that and you no longer have a Doom game in a lot of people's opinion. But feel free to offer alternatives.

Then why even buy the game if you despise it so much? It sounds like you would play it only once and then throw it away, so just download it, it's cracked. Or go buy Blizzard games...

Make your own judgement and buy it, don't listen to those who say no just because the music sucked (when it didn't), isn't adapted or game does look like Halo.

Actually no don't, stick to Doom 2. ;)

Hofmann said:

so just download it, it's cracked. Or go buy Blizzard games...

Nice advice. Also it has Denuvo.

I find it hard to believe that id focused on Snapmap and then would proceed to make more single player content. Would it make much more sense to focus on the community and let them expand the single player experience themselves?

40oz said:

I find it hard to believe that id focused on Snapmap and then would proceed to make more single player content. Would it make much more sense to focus on the community and let them expand the single player experience themselves?

Snapmap is incredibly limited, even after all the updates.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I absolutely despise... I dislike...bland...insipid... is annoying... I do not like ...

Plasma Gun said:

Don't buy it, it seems like you don't want it. Why are you wasting forum space if you have already made up your mind?

Yes, this. The only person who can ultimately determine its 'worth' is you, and you've already played out another litany of nitpicky bullcrap in this very thread. So no, don't bother buying it.

DooM_RO said:

Incredibly no, limited yes. Limitations are mostly due to console handicaps, if only they could remove that cap for PC.

Karakurt said:

Incredibly no, limited yes. Limitations are mostly due to console handicaps, if only they could remove that cap for PC.

They won't because they want to maintain cross-platform compatibility (Haha) to ensure the maps would run without perfomance issues on all platforms .

DooM_RO said:

I doubt id software truly believes that. From a marketing standpoint I feel like they'd be shooting themselves in the foot to create this whole interface where people can create their own custom campaigns and then release more single player content that would only serve to undermine peoples work. I think it would be cool if idsoftware releasesd their own official snapmap episode that would best demonstrate the strengths of the editor. Because as it is, the content for it is analogous to the zdoom community's dabbling with weapon and gameplay mods when there is so much more potential to explore that hasn't been fully tapped yet.

The only thing they have been throwing on the featured SnapMaps page is some crappy very basic SnapMaps, each 2 weeks, I dunno which one of them made those, But they're all about just random modules stuck together with few monsters and lockdowns thrown randomly .

40oz said:

I doubt id software truly believes that. From a marketing standpoint I feel like they'd be shooting themselves in the foot to create this whole interface where people can create their own custom campaigns and then release more single player content that would only serve to undermine peoples work. I think it would be cool if idsoftware releasesd their own official snapmap episode that would best demonstrate the strengths of the editor. Because as it is, the content for it is analogous to the zdoom community's dabbling with weapon and gameplay mods when there is so much more potential to explore that hasn't been fully tapped yet.

Well...It's getting there but they have a shit ton of stuff to add still. Unlike other people, I think it has a lot of potential but it's very underdeveloped.

I'm going to write a detailed post about this one of these days and post it on Reddit (I know they lurk around there) and Doomworld.

I still have that feeling that SnapMap is too different from the Singleplaye campaign, the gore, the guns, the balance, even the Pistol is not from the campaign, the Combat shotgun alt fire quickly recovers ... etc .

It still needs some work, I hope they don't leave it behind after releasing their 3rd MP DLC .

Go for it. Its $20 right now. Then again everything will be $5 if you wait long enough. Doom's price slipped real fast. Its worth $60 to me even still. If you don't like it enough, just return it within 2 hours or 2 weeks.

SnapMap only recently has stepped up as a reason to stay in the game. The first few maps were terrible and felt the same brand of vanilla. Every map was a disappointment due to how similar they all were. They should have had pros making SnapMaps and maybe they did.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

They won't because they want to maintain cross-platform compatibility (Haha) to ensure the maps would run without perfomance issues on all platforms .

Well it makes sense I guess? Although I don't give a damn about cross-Platform support in Snapmap when it's the MP that needs one.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I absolutely despise the music, I dislike the design of the monsters and the weapons (except the Super Shotgun, but that is because it looks almost exactly like its previous incarnations), the locations and graphics strike me as bland, the story is insipid and unexciting (Hell invades Mars again, gee how original...), Doomguy's attitude is annoying and I do not like the supporting cast (Doctor Nanosuit, wannabe HAL9000 and Rule 63 Betruger).

If you already have your mind concluded, why are you even here? Don't ask a question and then give yourself an answer, that's wasting everyones time!

Also with everything you just described, I'm not even sure how you like Doom as a series.

He's asking us if the game is worth to him, he might as well ask us if he likes the game. He's either an idiot or a troll, there is no third option.

Karakurt said:

Also it has Denuvo.

It's cracked.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Personally i think it's a fantastic game and worth every penny, but you sound that you just hate most of the game... so why bother play something that you already dislike?

Everything you mentioned that you hated it's part of what made the game great, you'll most likely dislike the game, and wonder why you bought it in the first place.