Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fonze

Thanksgiving Food

I know most of us won't start cooking for at least a few hours, but last night I made the pumpkin pie:

Kinda upset at myself for not making a new design, but since I still had the stencil handy, I went with it. Pumpkins have faces in nature, right?

Recipe:
15 oz pumpkin puree
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger? (Optioned out, this isn't Christmas)
1/2 tsp salt (forgot to add, doesn't need it)
9" pie crust

Design made of cinnamon sugar mix.

Mix everything at once in bowl, pour into crust. Bake at 425 for 15 mins. Reduce temp to 350 then bake another 40 mins. Knife (or smarter, a toothpick) should come out clean 1 inch away from rim. Cool on counter 30-60 mins, refrigerate another hour before serving.

Turned out quite sweet; the sweetened condensed milk covered all sugar needs, for those wondering why sugar isn't an ingredient.

As we all start cooking today, share some of your tasty creations! Even if you don't celebrate Thanksgiving (or at this time of year/American version/whatever) share the delicious stuff you make today and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

That looks delicious!

And I was beginning to think there would never be a Thanksgiving thread this year... Not everyone here gets to celebrate it though. I couldn't resist posting this though, heh!

Staying on topic, I used to make lime Jello every Thanksgiving as a complimentary dessert meal. That was because the year before I started making that, I saw cranberry sauce that looked similar to Jello, and I thought, something was missing...

Needs more Doomguy face on there. Nothing would excite family more than digging into man pie.

That's such a cute pie! Never thought of using a stencil on one.

I'm going to make a baked macaroni and cheese that uses mozzarella instead of cheddar to take over to my Mom's today. Also possibly some Ants Climbing a Tree since I made too much last night accidentally.

That's sweet yuki! Post up a pic when it's done; I'd love to see it! (Either one; they both sound nice). I can't believe I totally forgot to make mac n cheese this year...

Good idea geo, I'll do Doom stuff for the next batch of pies I make. I been wanting to make some sweet potato pies for a while, so I may give that an attempt, assuming I'm not all cinnamon/clove/nutmeg'd out after this pie (I won't be).

That's cool to know antares; it's interesting how each of our days of thanksgiving have convergently evolved over the years, especially since their roots are different for each of us. But a day of humility, giving thanks, is a great thing for all cultures to share. On a semi-related note, I have this wok I always want to use (because it's awesome), but never do. Any recipes for those items?

That's a funny pic havox; I've been hearing Christmas music at a few businesses over the last few days. Still wondering who's the guy that so looks forward to Christmas music every year that it seems a good idea to begin playing it before Thanksgiving.

I'll post a pic of my whole feast here shortly, should be done in about an hour :)

Here ya go.

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, plus some extra
  • 3/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1/4 rounded tsp black pepper (I usually use 3-4x this if it's just for me)
  • 4 cups milk
  • 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 4 cups elbow macaroni, dry (or whatever one box is... 16oz by weight about?)
  • Panko bread crumbs
  1. Cook macaroni according to the instructions on the box, then drain and set aside.
  2. Melt butter in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Then blend in the flour and salt, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Gradually add the milk to the saucepan, stirring constantly, Then add 11/2 tsp garlic, oregano, basil, and black pepper. Mix well.
  4. Once the milk starts to warm up again, add shredded cheese. Cook until smooth, stirring occasionally.
  5. In a large bowl, combine cheese sauce and the cooked macaroni and blend until well mixed.
  6. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish, then pour the macaroni mixture into the pan.
  7. Top the dish with panko and some extra garlic powder to taste, then spray some cooking spray on top.
  8. Bake at 350 F. for 25 minutes.
This will make about 6-8 servings.

Mmmm yuki that looks and sounds delicious, but those bread crumbs aren't near burnt enough! What are you, a chef or something?! Pop it back in the oven for a bit of broiling action and get make that top a beautifully burnt dark brown :D

Couldn't get all pots in one pic, so a pic of the plate:

Even the dog got something special:

DooM_RO said:

Perfect day for dusting off your Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3.

I never did get a chance to play that game. Usually, I just go straight to Sgt. Kelly without delay because I'm so impatient trying to follow the strategy guide (but I still get berated for taking my sweet time. Not that it matters anyway... -_-')

Fonze said:

Mmmm yuki that looks and sounds delicious, but those bread crumbs aren't near burnt enough! What are you, a chef or something?! Pop it back in the oven for a bit of broiling action and get make that top a beautifully burnt dark brown :D

lol, I'm not actually a fan of burnt or crispy (except for burnt hot dogs). Even so, the panko I use on that remains crispy enough to give it texture.

Nice antares; that sounds tasty. After I clear the fridge out, I'm gonna have to fire up the wok and give it a shot. I might not be a great chef, but I can follow the Hell out of a recipe and I always like to add to my repertoire of known dishes to make. I'll send you a pic of my monstrosity when I make it, heh.

Lol yuki, I don't think many people can argue against a deliciously charred hotdog. It's good that the bread crumbs do stay crunchy up top on that dish; texture is so critical in presentation. I'll have to try that mac n cheese out some time soon as well; I haven't had some good mac n cheese in at least a half a year, so it's about time to make some. For some reason, I kinda want to slice up like one or two small potatoes and throw them in there, au gratin style, just for a bit of extra something to chew on, though I'll prolly make it to the note the first time out of respect to the recipe itself and creator.