Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
niguel

DooM on XP

Man, how the h3ll do I get it work on XP?? The game slows, suddenly it gets in an insane burst of speed, then slowing down a g a in w h e n i m o v e o r I shoot andthenagainitsfastashell!!!

Sorry for the typing I just want to give you the feeling :P

the regular exe's don't work on xp, because xp doesn't use dos. use a source port like legacy, zdoom, or doom95 with the doom/doom2 wads. that should fix it.

Doom and doom2 are DOS applications. Try using doom95, or a windows port (prboom, zdoom, legacy, or jdoom). Otherwise, use an older computer with DOS/Win98, or install your XP to double-boot with an older OS.

I'd rather install ME when I get the CD's back... If I remember right it should work with DooM.

niguel said:

I'd rather install ME when I get the CD's back... If I remember right it should work with DooM.

that's not really a good idea either. winME uses dos, but not full dos. you will still need to use a port to have it run correctly, because you'll be running it off windows.

If you get desperate, and will not take a source port like Zdoom, Use Doom 95. I have Xp and have had the same problem, and it's how I disocvered source purts and got familiar with them. But Doom 95, as bad as it is to all, lets you play Vanilla Doom on XP at normal speed

gatewatcher said:

that's not really a good idea either. winME uses dos, but not full dos. you will still need to use a port to have it run correctly, because you'll be running it off windows.

ME has full dos support, like win98, it's just disabled from the factory, and unlike win2k and xp, which don't have full dos support. if you search the intarweb i believe it can be enabled again.

esayeek said:

ME has full dos support, like win98, it's just disabled from the factory, and unlike win2k and xp, which don't have full dos support. if you search the intarweb i believe it can be enabled again.

heh, winME is already unstable as hell and if i still had it, i wouldn't fuck arround with it. but, it would be fun to reinable dos on ME. kinda like reinabling html on aim 4.8 i guess.

anyway, my next machine is gonna have dual boot with XP and dos 3.1 :) that way the exe's will work.

niguel said:

Man, how the h3ll do I get it work on XP?? The game slows, suddenly it gets in an insane burst of speed, then slowing down a g a in w h e n i m o v e o r I shoot andthenagainitsfastashell!!!

Sorry for the typing I just want to give you the feeling :P

Find a source port that has the original 'doom feel', I'd recommend Eternity if you don't care about not hearing music. Look for it here: http://www.doomworld.com/eternity/. Otherwise look on doomworld for their source port section and go through ones like PRBoom or something.

BTW we could figure out what in hell you meant a lot easier without your damn Typing Effects 2000â„¢ which only made it harder for us to read.

if u want the original you cant get it in win2000/winME/WinXP, those dont have DOS. even if they work there will be many problems. WINXP emulates DOS but dont expect more than 8-bit soundblaster effects, thats if the game even works. you are forced to use a port if u own these Operating systems, Also DONT!! use doom95. that is the second worse port ever made. it has many bugs and includes all the DOS ones too. compared to running DOS doom it is much slower. also it crashes alot too. my list of bad things about the doom95 port would be bigger than the damn bible. so use a port, boom is most like the original and so are many others, however get the win versions.

I was a doom purist who had got out of the game due to lack of computer. after getting back into it, and realizing that modern windows dos emulation sucks, decided to get a source port. you can play just like classic doom if you want. all you have to do is set the controls like your used to. but seriously try to take advantage of the extra features. I'm sure you'll like them. legacy is a good start.

You can always use a source port like ZDooM (the best port), but not use any of its extra features. You can disable jumping, you could have no keys for look up/down, use standard map colours and also set 'stretch short skies' to 'off', as this makes the sky look like it does in original DooM. (unlike Legacy, which doesn't have this feature)

You can get it from here.

Note that even if you manage to get the original doom(2).exe to run, many modern soundcards, such as the SB Live! and the SB Audigy, will most likely give you either no sound, or sound so distorted that it's virtually eardrum destroying.

This applies to DOS ports such as Boom, MBF and SMMU as well.

Why the hell would you want to run the original, out-of-date, rarely working under any OS exe? USE A SOURCE PORT. They are far superior in many ways and will run under whichever OS you want.

Installing Win98/ME just to play original Doom is stupid.

What the hell? You're negateing XP just to run Doom.exe? Are you insane? Get a sourceport man and welcome to the 21st century.

Doom2.exe -devparm

^^ That'll run it (albit with no music, and rarely will you get sound
to work).

VolteFace said:

Doom2.exe -devparm

^^ That'll run it (albit with no music, and rarely will you get sound
to work).

That is the problem...the sound in DOS mode running in Windows XP causes all of the problems.

Try compatibility mode in XP and set to Windows 95 to run Doom. Right click in doom2.exe and select the compatibility mode in the pop-up menu.

Also, check this link, it have some valuable information:

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/expertzone/columns/keam/november05.asp

But frankly, try some source port. There are very good ones, and some wipe all the annoying bugs from original doom2.exe.

Cya

NokturnuS said:

Try compatibility mode in XP and set to Windows 95 to run Doom. Right click in doom2.exe and select the compatibility mode in the pop-up menu.

Also, check this link, it have some valuable information:

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/expertzone/columns/keam/november05.asp

But frankly, try some source port. There are very good ones, and some wipe all the annoying bugs from original doom2.exe.

Cya

I tried compatibility mode, it didn't work on ANY of my games.

Zaldron said:

That would be me.

¿También sos argentino?

As long as you go into SETUP.EXE and turn off sound and music, the
game should run smoothly. Otherwise it's horribly choppy.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

Does the Sex Cauldron run on XP?

Huh? If you mean does Zal have XP I dunno, esp. after his numourous PC problems.