Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princetontiger

Operating table in the beginning

Recommended Posts

Most of this is answered in the game. It's not an operating table, it's the sarcophagus in which he was found in Hell. Until the invasion occurred, he was encased within a barrier of Argent energy that the UAC was not able to penetrate. This both kept him in, and kept him from harm, so that he would "lie there still, ever more, in silent suffering," to quote the Lord of Hell. Why the invasion taking place unsealed him, and why there are robotic arms, is unknown, but it's sure to have been some machination of Samuel's.

If you want more confirmation, as you try to leave the room, you're confronted with a holographic recording of Olivia finding where Samuel moved the crypt and remarking that "we must contain this," referring to the Doom Slayer, as blind adherents worship at each corner since they don't know if what's inside is, to quote the UAC, "demon, god, or man." In the recording you can see that the lid was firmly on top of the sarcophagus. When you awaken, the lid has been lifted up off of it and is near the ceiling. You can see the mark of the Doom Slayer, which the Lord of Hell says was "burned on his crypt as a warning to all of Hell that the terror within must never be freed."

Samuel Hayden retrieved the Doom Slayer from Hell on a special interdimensional expedition. It was first brought to the Lazarus Labs for extensive study, but as Olivia became more unstable, he had it moved to Site 03 secretly, probably fearing that Olivia would try to destroy the Doom Slayer before he could awaken.

Share this post


Link to post

The Doom Slayer was a sealed badass in a can who was set free by Samuel Hayden who used him as a means to stop the demonic hordes, and for the Doom Slayer, to exact his own revenge on hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

Most of this is answered in the game. It's not an operating table, it's the sarcophagus in which he was found in Hell. Until the invasion occurred, he was encased within a barrier of Argent energy that the UAC was not able to penetrate. This both kept him in, and kept him from harm, so that he would "lie there still, ever more, in silent suffering," to quote the Lord of Hell. Why the invasion taking place unsealed him, and why there are robotic arms, is unknown, but it's sure to have been some machination of Samuel's.

If you want more confirmation, as you try to leave the room, you're confronted with a holographic recording of Olivia finding where Samuel moved the crypt and remarking that "we must contain this," referring to the Doom Slayer, as blind adherents worship at each corner since they don't know if what's inside is, to quote the UAC, "demon, god, or man." In the recording you can see that the lid was firmly on top of the sarcophagus. When you awaken, the lid has been lifted up off of it and is near the ceiling. You can see the mark of the Doom Slayer, which the Lord of Hell says was "burned on his crypt as a warning to all of Hell that the terror within must never be freed."

Samuel Hayden retrieved the Doom Slayer from Hell on a special interdimensional expedition. It was first brought to the Lazarus Labs for extensive study, but as Olivia became more unstable, he had it moved to Site 03 secretly, probably fearing that Olivia would try to destroy the Doom Slayer before he could awaken.


BLAHBLAHBLAH.

I think I preferred Doom 1 to 3's take on the story, that it's just an ordinary human Space Marine soldier assigned to duty on Mars who has to become the hero when the demonic hordes invade, rather than some already powerful superbeing that most people cannot relate to. And yes, Doom 4 is a reboot, not a sequel.

Share this post


Link to post
Foebane72 said:

And yes, Doom 4 is a reboot, not a sequel.

You seem oddly sure of something you couldn't possibly prove. ;)
FYI the story has hints that it follows the Doomguy from a previous game, likely Doom64. Vague hints but he sure had to come from somewhere, and it'd make sense considering.

Share this post


Link to post
Edward850 said:

You seem oddly sure of something you couldn't possibly prove. ;)
FYI the story has hints that it follows the Doomguy from a previous game, likely Doom64. Vague hints but he sure had to come from somewhere, and it'd make sense considering.


Why do people harp on about Doom 64? To me, it's just an UNofficial port with awful textures and sprites, and only the PC versions and the versions that LOOK like them ARE Doom. And if it IS official, then I hate the look, feel and sound of Doom 64. I never played it, I never COULD play it, and I don't care about any plotlines that version emanated.

Basically, to me, Doom in its entirety is what was begat on the PC. End of.

Share this post


Link to post

Are there any other games you haven't played that you have strong opinions on? I'd be interested to hear them. Also, if you could be kind enough to list any other plotlines you don't care about so we all can make sure to deny their existence in future conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Foebane72 said:

I think I preferred Doom 1 to 3's take on the story, that it's just an ordinary human Space Marine soldier assigned to duty on Mars who has to become the hero when the demonic hordes invade, rather than some already powerful superbeing that most people cannot relate to.


Me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Use3D said:

Are there any other games you haven't played that you have strong opinions on? I'd be interested to hear them. Also, if you could be kind enough to list any other plotlines you don't care about so we all can make sure to deny their existence in future conversation.


How exactly can I play Doom 64, legally on real hardware, when all I have is HDMI monitors and no room or money for an N64?

Share this post


Link to post

I must be missing something. Possibly the Doom64 claim as I never played it however I strongly doubt this Doom is a sequel to any existing Doom installment. Just because he battled Demons in the past doesn't mean he was in any UAC tech base killing cyberdemons etc.

As for relatable I doubt a space marine on Mars singlehandedly defeating a Demonic invasion is all that relatable or realistic for that matter. Doom guy being a powerful fantasy character in fantasy / sci fi universe actually makes more sense imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Foebane72 said:

To me, it's just an UNofficial port with awful textures and sprites


Well ..

Doom wiki said:

a sequel to Doom II .... released by Midway, in cooperation with id Software.


Sounds like a legit sequel .

Share this post


Link to post
Chezza said:

I must be missing something. Possibly the Doom64 claim as I never played it however I strongly doubt this Doom is a sequel to any existing Doom installment. Just because he battled Demons in the past doesn't mean he was in any UAC tech base killing cyberdemons etc.

at the end of Doom 64, the Doomguy is unable to get out of Hell as he killed the Mother Demon, so he has to stay in Hell and keep fighting there. this Doom Slayer comes from Hell, and has been battling Hell on their own turf for quite a while. i don't know how much more connection there is beyond that, but Doom64Guy had to remain in Hell at the end, and the Doom Slayer also comes from Hell, so that's where it would stem from.

Share this post


Link to post
Foebane72 said:

Why do people harp on about Doom 64? To me, it's just an UNofficial port with awful textures and sprites, and only the PC versions and the versions that LOOK like them ARE Doom. And if it IS official, then I hate the look, feel and sound of Doom 64. I never played it, I never COULD play it, and I don't care about any plotlines that version emanated.

Basically, to me, Doom in its entirety is what was begat on the PC. End of.


To you Doom 64 is just an UNofficial port with awful textures and Sprites?? Well we are lucky because people donĀ“t care about what you thinlk

You hate something you never played, NICE!!!

Share this post


Link to post

Can't kill Doomguy or Doomslayer. He'd end up in Hell and then he'd just kill more. Just lock him in a box. So he's like a vampire or something. Living forever because Hell doesn't want him.

Share this post


Link to post
Wild Dog said:

You hate something you never played, NICE!!!


I've played Doom, on PC, where it belongs. By your logic, you'd also want me to play 32X Doom or SNES Doom, both of which I have no desire to do.

Share this post


Link to post

What I'd like to know is why he's naked if that's a sarcophagus. What was that possessed human planning to do with him before he broke himself free and smashed its head against the side?

Share this post


Link to post
MetroidJunkie said:

What I'd like to know is why he's naked if that's a sarcophagus. What was that possessed human planning to do with him before he broke himself free and smashed its head against the side?


I assume Doommarines are just naked under their armor. Take the armor... not got nethang undaneth

Share this post


Link to post
Foebane72 said:

I've played Doom, on PC, where it belongs. By your logic, you'd also want me to play 32X Doom or SNES Doom, both of which I have no desire to do.

Seriously, why do you hate Doom 64 so much? Youdidnt even play it!
To be fair, I didn't play it all the way because of some damn easter egg or something that caused me to ragequit (and I went so far too. I was that immersed into the game, that that single thing made me lose it). But not the point here.

From what I can tell, 32X and SNES Dooms are ports of the original Doom on PC. Doom 64 is a whole new game. And you can now play Doom 64 on PC, so there go play it now. Well worth your time, trust me.

I find it strange that you hate the look, feel, etc of Doom 64, even though you never played it. Its just dumb.
Also, why do we harp about Doom 64? Because it deserves it. Its literally the proper sequel to Doom 2, which I'm sure many people would agree with.

Stop whining, play it yourself, then judge it.

Share this post


Link to post
Voros said:

Seriously, why do you hate Doom 64 so much? Youdidnt even play it!
To be fair, I didn't play it all the way because of some damn easter egg or something that caused me to ragequit (and I went so far too. I was that immersed into the game, that that single thing made me lose it). But not the point here.

From what I can tell, 32X and SNES Dooms are ports of the original Doom on PC. Doom 64 is a whole new game. And you can now play Doom 64 on PC, so there go play it now. Well worth your time, trust me.

I find it strange that you hate the look, feel, etc of Doom 64, even though you never played it. Its just dumb.
Also, why do we harp about Doom 64? Because it deserves it. Its literally the proper sequel to Doom 2, which I'm sure many people would agree with.

Stop whining, play it yourself, then judge it.


I'll have a look.

I thought Final Doom or the Master Levels for Doom 2 were proper sequels to Doom 2? Also, would you consider Doom 3 a worthy reboot if it wasn't called Doom 3?

Share this post


Link to post
geo said:

I assume Doommarines are just naked under their armor. Take the armor... not got nethang undaneth


And they decided to strip him and chain him down because...? Judging by how easily he shattered that possessed human's skull, he's got super human strength even without the suit.

Share this post


Link to post
MetroidJunkie said:

And they decided to strip him and chain him down because...? Judging by how easily he shattered that possessed human's skull, he's got super human strength even without the suit.

I find it interesting that one of the soundtrack interludes is named "DEMIGOD"; I have to wonder if it's meant to be a hint of something we weren't otherwise told.

Share this post


Link to post

Clearly they meant to rub down the Doom Slayer with garlic butter and seasoning, because they intended to slow cook him. Everything went out of control when one of the unwilling let it's hunger get the best of him and went in for a bite. And the Doom Slayer just wasn't having it.

Share this post


Link to post
Foebane72 said:

BLAHBLAHBLAH.

I think I preferred Doom 1 to 3's take on the story, that it's just an ordinary human Space Marine soldier assigned to duty on Mars who has to become the hero when the demonic hordes invade, rather than some already powerful superbeing that most people cannot relate to. And yes, Doom 4 is a reboot, not a sequel.

That narrative fits the older games, because that game had no glory kills. In this game, Doomguy dismembers large demons with his HANDS and FEET. That shit needs explaining lol.

Share this post


Link to post
GaussMaster987 said:

That narrative fits the older games, because that game had no glory kills. In this game, Doomguy dismembers large demons with his HANDS and FEET. That shit needs explaining lol.


Power armor. That and Doomslayerguy is probably immortal like a vampire.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×