Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princetontiger

Operating table in the beginning

geo said:

Power armor. That and Doomslayerguy is probably immortal like a vampire.

In most games power armor primarily provides protection and damage resistance against enemy attacks, and sometimes to lift heavier objects and handle heavier guns/equipment (if we go off Fallout's power armor). But this Doomguy smashed a zombie's head without armor, and could probably take on an Imp and a soldier without the Praetor Suit (Razer's skin might be a little too tough, and he might need armor against the shield soldier). As for immortality, doubt it. Some recent games provide an explanation for resurrection (ex: Borderlands' New-U system), but in this game you see certain demons ripping Doomguy apart when he gets staggered. Regardless, player deaths are not canon in any game.

I don't see the problem. Doomguy is basically Kratos, minus the whole self-hating emo manbaby part. Started off a soldier, ended up an omnicidal killing machine.

I consider Doom 2016 to be a "requel" aka both a reboot and a sequel rolled into one.

In my interpretation (take it as you will), Doom 2016 assumes the events of the original Doom series occurred in an alternate timeline (from the one presented in Doom 2016) with minor adjustments compared to how it was presented in those older games (e.g. Doom slayer already had the Praetor Suit back then instead of wearing T-shirt armour, the original invasion took place on Mars, etc.).

But because Hell might be a plane that exists across dimension and perhaps time itself, he could eventually have wound up in the Age when Argent D'Nur was still extant. Through being a massive badass who was really damned good at killing Demons, he allied himself with the Night Sentinels until they were betrayed and all but the Doom Slayer fell.

Doom slayer would eventually be defeated and entombed until the UAC in the Doom 2016 timeline opened the gate to Hell and started poking around, and thus, the Cycle begins Anew (same ol' Doom story of UAC messing with Hellish forces beyond their control), but in a new timeline.

I use the term "meta-quel", even if it sounds stupid. It basically follows in the footsteps of BioShock Infinite and Dark Souls III as a game that's a comment on its own legacy as much as it is a continuation. A non-video game example would be Age of Sigmar, which basically pars Warhammer Fantasy with Warhammer 40K without actually connecting the two universes.

Uh, Age of Sigmar. They shit-can Warhammer, release its replacement, then unleash a slew of popular Warhammer games which, in the case of Total War Warhammer (why not just Total Warhammer?), take the world by storm and reignite interest in something that JUST GOT SHIT-CANNED. Epic plan.

I got the impression DOOM's original Marine started off as a human but proved so devastating, so unstoppable, that he became regarded with awe and horror by the demons. After all, a man who can run at sixty miles an hour, survive a rocket impact and kill demons with just a couple of punches scares me, and I'm not a demon.

GaussMaster987 said:

In most games power armor primarily provides protection and damage resistance against enemy attacks, and sometimes to lift heavier objects and handle heavier guns/equipment (if we go off Fallout's power armor). But this Doomguy smashed a zombie's head without armor, and could probably take on an Imp and a soldier without the Praetor Suit (Razer's skin might be a little too tough, and he might need armor against the shield soldier). As for immortality, doubt it. Some recent games provide an explanation for resurrection (ex: Borderlands' New-U system), but in this game you see certain demons ripping Doomguy apart when he gets staggered. Regardless, player deaths are not canon in any game.

Good point. I'll fall back on my "he's an immortal vampire." Perhaps its the adrenaline rage of "this is the first time I've been out of the box in 10+ years." Then again you'd think being stuck in a box he'd atrophy... unless he was an immortal vampire.

Perhaps Doomslayer himself absorbs the dead he murders to gain their strength and power.

I find it strange that Doomslayer's hands were chained, but not his feet.
What, are the demons not afraid of his SPARTA kicks?

Had the game been a tad more unhinged he could've slammed demons with the sarcophagus like an oversized ball-and-chain.

Again, Kratos. Essentially just a "normal" (if ridiculously buff) human, but so bloody drugged on sheer pissiness that he starts gargling broken beer bottles and dismembering demons with his bare hands.

geo said:

Good point. I'll fall back on my "he's an immortal vampire." Perhaps its the adrenaline rage of "this is the first time I've been out of the box in 10+ years." Then again you'd think being stuck in a box he'd atrophy... unless he was an immortal vampire.

Perhaps Doomslayer himself absorbs the dead he murders to gain their strength and power.

Tbh, I'm not yet sure how he remained alive while imprisoned in the tomb. I have yet to play Argent D'Nur, where I know the final "Slayer's Testament" tablets are. One of the testaments states that the Doom Slayer was "bestowed terrible power and speed, by the seraphim". Seraphim are a class of angels, which I think is only one class lower than Archangels. So that explains this Doomguy's super strength and speed. As for how he did not age while imprisoned, I don't know yet what the last testaments say, but one possibility is that time works differently in Doom's Hell, than it does in the "known dimension".

As for the seraphim, it would be interesting if sequels somehow incorporate Heaven into the lore. Perhaps they could even pull a "Supernatural", and have the angels be assholes, which pisses off Doomguy, and he just ends up ripping and tearing demons and angels alike. That would be hilarious.

dsm said:

I consider Doom 2016 to be a "requel" aka both a reboot and a sequel rolled into one.

In my interpretation (take it as you will), Doom 2016 assumes the events of the original Doom series occurred in an alternate timeline (from the one presented in Doom 2016) with minor adjustments compared to how it was presented in those older games (e.g. Doom slayer already had the Praetor Suit back then instead of wearing T-shirt armour, the original invasion took place on Mars, etc.).

But because Hell might be a plane that exists across dimension and perhaps time itself, he could eventually have wound up in the Age when Argent D'Nur was still extant. Through being a massive badass who was really damned good at killing Demons, he allied himself with the Night Sentinels until they were betrayed and all but the Doom Slayer fell.

Doom slayer would eventually be defeated and entombed until the UAC in the Doom 2016 timeline opened the gate to Hell and started poking around, and thus, the Cycle begins Anew (same ol' Doom story of UAC messing with Hellish forces beyond their control), but in a new timeline.

This was my theory, I'm pretty sure that hell is connected to all dimensions and time, therefore any hell portal opened at any time in anyplace is connected to the same hell and shit.

I think this because of the very steampunk like tech we saw on the argent dnur multiplayer map

(I'm hoping this theory allows a secret Wolfenstein level where Da'at yichud tech used by the nazis opened up a bell portal, that would be cool.)

geo said:

This is literally the gameplay mechanic, refueling himself from piñata demons. Maybe absorbing the essence of that possessed human he smashed against the table gave him enough strength to free himself completely.

MetroidJunkie said:

This is literally the gameplay mechanic, refueling himself from piñata demons. Maybe absorbing the essence of that possessed human he smashed against the table gave him enough strength to free himself completely.

I think the quote "draws strength from his fallen enemies", only refers to the health drops on glory kills. His overall strength does not keep increasing though, his strength does have limits. For example, against Barons, he has to use both arms to break off one horn, and he has to place one foot on the Baron's head for traction. The Cyberdemon's horn is larger though, so Doomguy has to use his leg, which shows that each of his legs is much stronger than his arms. Finally, he does not use any of his limbs on the Spider Mastermind, but I don't want to spoil that spectacle for anyone who hasn't completed the game yet :D .