Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
40oz

appropriate length for a midi song

Mappers and midi composers: How much does a tracks length matter in what map the track should be applied to? What rules of thumb do you use? If a songs track loops more than once in a casual playthrough of a map, is the track too short? Does it also depend on how cool and catchy the music is?

I know there are a lot of music enthusiasts here so id like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Well, BTSX E2 uses an 11? minute midi on a 4 minute map and it fits like a glove (because you will die often enough to hear the whole thing) so there's that factor to consider.

I always felt like 3:00 was a nice lower limit when writing stuff, but then working on the TVR! midi pack has thrown that into doubt, as even 3:00 is too long for some of the maps in that WAD. I wouldn't dream of taking anything out of my contributions to make them fit the length of the map though.

For tracks that loop more than once, the question of whether the track is too short is definitely something that has to be considered on an individual basis. Cool and catchy tracks are great on shorter maps, but once they've looped a few times they'll probably start to get annoying, whereas consider something like "Weather Warning" from that huge Mechadon map near the end of BTSX E2. The song is just shy of 5 minutes long I believe, and that map can take the best part of an hour, so you're looking at maybe 7 or 8, maybe even 9 loops of that track over the course of the map. It has a few repeating elements, but ultimately there's a decent amount of time before you hear the same thing again, and it's not a particularly melody-driven piece, so it just blends into the background nicely.

Contrast this with D2INO MAP06. 20-30 minutes to beat that map, and the music is nice and quite fitting to begin with, but it's only about 90 seconds long. That same trumpet melody, over and over and over again. Ugh.

Uhh, I thought that catchy/repetitive songs work much better in long maps where they loop several times. They feel like one never ending "wave". If no parts stand out too much then the looping is actually less noticeable in a way. It never really feels like the song has ended, restarted, and now it has to build up again from scratch (a lame feel). There are no moments like "oh, here is that guitar solo part again". It's just a continuous stream.