Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

Doom on GTX 460 SE

Hi everyone. Heed my words, oh heed the cautionary tale of how I got taken up the arse when it comes to playing high end games.

A few months ago I asked for advice about modern, high end graphics cards. Well I ended up buying an Inno iChill Herculez GTX 770 4GB for £110, which I still reckon was a bit of a bargain, even if it is the approximate size and weight of a BFG 9000. I also bought a new gaming rig including a Core i5 6600K, overclocked to 4.7GHz, and a bigger tower to accommodate everything. So it's all in storage waiting for Christmas.

BUT, I just downloaded the NVidia GeForce Experience app, which detected Doom and tweaked it for my Phenom II x6 1100T and ailing GTX 460 SE (which despite its name, is a budget version of a budget card).

Bear in mind that my system previously has not even been able to display the Bethesda logo and required resetting because it simply got "stuck" at the logo.

So, for a laugh, I decided to try running Doom again. And guess what. I JUST SPENT TEN MINUTES KICKING SERIOUS DEMON ARSE. The frame rate isn't as fluid as the XBox One, but the graphics look amazing and the gameplay was really smooth. On a damaged GTX 460 SE. So I just bought a very expensive and very large new gaming rig for nothing.

Fuck's sake.

There is no way that a GTX 460 SE is providing a smooth experience at anything but extremely low resolutions. I also doubt that it'd hold up well in some of the more complex scenes.

MajorRawne said:

So I just bought a very expensive and very large new gaming rig for nothing.

Fuck's sake.

If you're into PC gaming, you can NEVER waste your money buying a system with a better spec. Every little helps, especially with the graphics card.

I can now play Doom very well, I have enough RAM, a good enough graphics card now (a GTX 960 2Gb) although my main CPU is a bit on the underpowered side, but it's not struggling. However, I started to play Doom on a GTX 650 Ti 1Gb, and soon after I got into Hell, the game no longer ran as I ran out of VRAM, and even before then I couldn't run everything at full pelt, not even 1080p, so it was worth shelling out for the 960.

MajorRawne said:

So I just bought a very expensive and very large new gaming rig for nothing.

Nope, you didn't buy that rig for nothing. Think of it this way: at the very least, you're already slightly better equipped for playing games newer than DOOM. A GT 460 is nowhere near enough for running Dishonored 2 for instance.

MajorRawne said:

Hi everyone. Heed my words, oh heed the cautionary tale of how I got taken up the arse when it comes to playing high end games.

A few months ago I asked for advice about modern, high end graphics cards. Well I ended up buying an Inno iChill Herculez GTX 770 4GB for £110, which I still reckon was a bit of a bargain, even if it is the approximate size and weight of a BFG 9000. I also bought a new gaming rig including a Core i5 6600K, overclocked to 4.7GHz, and a bigger tower to accommodate everything. So it's all in storage waiting for Christmas.

BUT, I just downloaded the NVidia GeForce Experience app, which detected Doom and tweaked it for my Phenom II x6 1100T and ailing GTX 460 SE (which despite its name, is a budget version of a budget card).

Bear in mind that my system previously has not even been able to display the Bethesda logo and required resetting because it simply got "stuck" at the logo.

So, for a laugh, I decided to try running Doom again. And guess what. I JUST SPENT TEN MINUTES KICKING SERIOUS DEMON ARSE. The frame rate isn't as fluid as the XBox One, but the graphics look amazing and the gameplay was really smooth. On a damaged GTX 460 SE. So I just bought a very expensive and very large new gaming rig for nothing.

Fuck's sake.

You said you've played for 10 minutes, so I assume you haven't gone outside yet. Or into the Hell levels. I'm not a betting man, but I'm pretty sure it will be absolutely unplayable once you get a bit further in.

Thanks chaps. By the way, my initial post was not implying that anyone who advised me was misleading me.

Right, I've played the first level through and also completed The UAC. Things certainly did slow down at times with dust blowing, things swinging, demons attacking and me leaping around like I was on a pogo stick. Hardcore PC gamers would probably find this unacceptable, but it's better than PSX Doom, and I must have spent a third of my life playing that, so I am used to dodgy frame rates. The controls are just superb, so smooth and responsive even when the FPS lags. This game is so far beyond my expectations.

I've played some custom maps including a crappy hell map with four boss fights. The maps were extremely detailed including raining gore, floating islands and so forth. The framerate remained acceptable to good.

It seems a lot of people have trouble in the "official" hell levels with far more capable cards than mine. We'll just have to see if my gallant 460 can go where no 400 series has gone before. Straight up John Romero's arse!