Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Master O

Doom 2 Megawads Whose Secret Levels Reference Other Games

D2TWiD is perhaps too obvious an answer?

UDM2 has that sweet SMB3 themed map. I made a vaguely Mario-esque secret map in UAC Rebellion. I also played a wad recently which had a decent remake of Duke's E1L1 as a secret but I can't remember which wad it was unfortunately..

Edit: Oh yeah, one of the maps in the first DK_DM is Block Fort straight outta MK64.

Survive in hell map33 is based on minecraft
There's a map in one of the slaughterfest wads that uses a quake layout (maybe multiple maps stitched together). I think it was sf2012 but I'm not sure it was one of the secret maps.

D2INO map31 was based more on RtCW than wolf3D, if that counts.
Doomkid: I'm sure I've seen that duke map before but I don't remember the wad either heh

The second DTS-T secret map is Scholomance from World of Warcraft
Herian 2's MAP32 is Hexen's Dark Crucible
Herian's MAP31 is Hexen's Wastelands, and its MAP32 is Strife's town level

Whispers of Satan has a starwars/darkforces themed secret map

Map31 of Marswar is a remake of Wolfenstein 3D E1M1, and it was originally created before Doom 2 came out.

I cant remember exactly what wad its in, but I think it may be Memento Mori that has a secret level thats a commander keen level?

An old ish wad from 1997 called The Last Marine had a secret level that was a port of Heretic's first map. If I remember right, this wad is either not available in the archives due to containing altered IWAD maps, or whatever version is available doesn't contain those maps anymore. For reference, the copy I'm referring to was on a PC Gamer cover disc.

They're not secret levels, but one level in DUMP 2 heavily references Strife, complete with alarm, door, and switch sounds, and one level in DUMP 3 heavily references Quake, complete with sounds, a matching font, and even a recreation of the episode 1 boss at the end.