Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GaussMaster987

PC Freezing Glitch/Bug - Possible Solution

So, for a while I've had this problem where the game video freezes, and the audio stays on a loop. When this happens, Alt+Tab does not even work. I have to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to get out of it. I'm sure other players have had this problem as well. This has happened frequently, and has always seemed random...until now. See, I play with a controller, so naturally I have the vibration on. The last time it happened, I got a Precision Bolt headshot on a Mancubus, and my game froze almost immediately after the shot. The Gauss Cannon triggers a stronger vibration in all 3 firing modes due to the strong recoil of the gun, and the game freezing caused my controller's vibration to get stuck in an infinite loop as well. Even after closing the game, the vibration did not stop. I had to unplug the controller to stop the vibration. With this, I was finally able to deduce that the vibration option might be causing this freeze crashing problem, so I turned the Vibration off in the game settings.

All this time, I thought the Vulkan API was causing the crashing. Now, I know everyone does not play with a controller, and I still have not seen whether I will have the problem with the vibration off or not. And the problem itself is still quite random and unpredictable in nature. The incident I stated above has only occured once, despite my frequent use of the Gauss Cannon throughout my playthrough (I'm heading into Mission 12 soon). All the other times it happened to me, it could've happened with any vibration trigger, weak or strong. Would anyone be willing to test this theory of mine? It would be great if Bethesda could finally address this issue.

Have you ran Prime95?
My buddy, since release, couldn't play it because of CTD's and just a couple weeks ago decided to stress his cpu ... turned out memory controller was faulty in the cpu, causing very specific games to randomly crash.

Flesh420 said:

Have you ran Prime95?
My buddy, since release, couldn't play it because of CTD's and just a couple weeks ago decided to stress his cpu ... turned out memory controller was faulty in the cpu, causing very specific games to randomly crash.

No, I had not even heard of it, until you mentioned it. What is the purpose of finding new Mersenne prime numbers anyway?

GaussMaster987 said:

Even after closing the game, the vibration did not stop. I had to unplug the controller to stop the vibration. With this, I was finally able to deduce that the vibration option might be causing this freeze crashing problem, so I turned the Vibration off in the game settings.

You seemed to have jumped the gun quite a bit.
XInput, which Doom4 uses, functions by passing update packets between the driver and XInput API for all inputs, and packets back including vibration signals. These signals are passive, so updates are only ever sent when a value actually changes. Here in lies the crux of the issue; If the application crashes without being able to terminate the API, no termination signal is sent to the driver which will mean that the last vibration signal your controller received is still exactly that. Nothing ever sends a zero-signal, so the vibration motors stay on until either the controller is disconnected or something new attaches to the API.

Meanwhile, I find it very hard, if not actually impossible, to get a crash out of the XInput API. It's part of the Xbox API for a start, and is designed to handle wireless controllers and random controller disconnections, either wired or wireless. There isn't really anything here to cause a crash.

TL;DR your vibration issue is a symptom of the application crashing, and doesn't make any logical sense being the cause.

Edward850 said:

You seemed to have jumped the gun quite a bit.
XInput, which Doom4 uses, functions by passing update packets between the driver and XInput API for all inputs, and packets back including vibration signals. These signals are passive, so updates are only ever sent when a value actually changes. Here in lies the crux of the issue; If the application crashes without being able to terminate the API, no termination signal is sent to the driver which will mean that the last vibration signal your controller received is still exactly that. Nothing ever sends a zero-signal, so the vibration motors stay on until either the controller is disconnected or something new attaches to the API.

Meanwhile, I find it very hard, if not actually impossible, to get a crash out of the XInput API. It's part of the Xbox API for a start, and is designed to handle wireless controllers and random controller disconnections, either wired or wireless. There isn't really anything here to cause a crash.

TL;DR your vibration issue is a symptom of the application crashing, and doesn't make any logical sense being the cause.

Well, all I can do at this point, is continue playing with the vibration off, and see if anything happens.

GaussMaster987 said:

No, I had not even heard of it, until you mentioned it. What is the purpose of finding new Mersenne prime numbers anyway?

To find errors and OC stability. The longer you run it the better. If there's errors within the first hour you have a problem.

All right guys, so I just noticed that the game was saving logfiles for each time my game crashed. Here is the most recent one.

https://mega.nz/#!0gI0TIrB!o3bxNPE89yIMbp8tKXa9-yHhQkHzaPzWGTvIj09R5tY

As you can tell from the filename, this was the 20th time the crash happened. If you look at the timestamp of the crash, it happened early in the morning, and I had started this thread in the evening of the same day. If anyone can make sense of the info in this log, that would be great.