Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
esayeek

controller config

Anyone have any ideas of how I could in vanilla doom make the right mouse button move *backward*?? I know some various source ports support binding the mouse buttons to things other than strafe, foward, and shoot; but I want to try my hand at hardcore compet-n action. maybe a tsr or something would let me do this?

No. The only options are for Fire Weapon, Move Forward, and Strafe On. I don't think there's a way to do it in the default.cfg either.

Yeah, that's the disadvantage of expanded control setup options in modified engines (or newer games, even). It happened to me. What I did is change my setup; it's tough to get used to a new one, but after a while it's fine. Also, I've heard there's software that would allow you to do what you want. Toke had the exact same problem (using the right button to move back), but I don't know exactly what it is he uses or used.

If you choose to change your setup, beware also of using keys that have set functions in multiplayer or otherwise, like the T, F, R, G, I, and B keys. Q is quit in demo recording (heh, I used to have it set for something, and when recording the game would suddenly go back to DOS).

Open default.cfg in your vanilla Doom folder, change your config with:

key_down 79

999cop said:

Open default.cfg in your vanilla Doom folder, change your config with:

key_down 79

999cop, this maps move backward to the End key, at least for me... are you sure you're not setting this in combination with someting else?

umm, that's too weird. The config of mine it is 32 as backward, 79 as strafe step. Thought it would work when they are switched. Try to ask AdamH, I think he might have a list of all altered numbers to each key, or Nightfang/Randy knows, I'm pretty sure there must be datas of those performances have translated into Zdoom. I used to set it up by testing almost every key out.

999cop said:

umm, that's too weird. The config of mine it is 32 as backward, 79 as strafe step.

well thats because you have END as your strafe key, so when you put it in for backwards, obviously that's what it will become.

esayeek said:

well thats because you have END as your strafe key, so when you put it in for backwards, obviously that's what it will become.

Nope, that's not true. My control configs are edsf, r and ctrl, mouse1 as fire and mouse2 as strafe step.

999cop said:

Nope, that's not true. My control configs are edsf, r and ctrl, mouse1 as fire and mouse2 as strafe step.

what happens when you hit end? it turns on strafe. the fact that you dont use it means nothing.

esayeek said:

what happens when you hit end? it turns on strafe. the fact that you dont use it means nothing.

exactly, i don't use it at all, i aint even a mouselooker, why would i ;) which is why it really strikes me in wonder

999cop said:

exactly, i don't use it at all, i aint even a mouselooker, why would i ;) which is why it really strikes me in wonder

well when you set your keys you probably just hit a random key for it cuz you don't use it, but now it comes back to haunt you =D

trust me man ive done testing it more than 5 times and it still isn't helping at all