Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

DOOM 2016 wins multiple VGA awards, also doomworld shoutout from Stratton

Cynical said:

Overwatch, Titanfall 2, Infinite Warfare, and Dishonored 2 all absolutely murder Doom 4 when it comes to satisfying audio-visual feedback.

Audio-Visual Feedback. You keep bringing this up, can you elaborate? Is it an animation thing? Weapon sounds aren't loud enough, or don't have enough bass? What is especially puzzling about this is you reference Overwatch... which I have no drive to play anymore because of lack of visual feedback when hitting an opponent and also weak, non-lethal sounding weapons.

Cynical said:

Your reading comprehension really isn't very good, is it?

Nah, just extremely lazy. That, and I got bored after reading half of your post.

Obzen said:

Audio-Visual Feedback. You keep bringing this up, can you elaborate? Is it an animation thing? Weapon sounds aren't loud enough, or don't have enough bass?

Yes, to basically all of these. The sound effects are weak and too quiet. The gun recoil animations are weak. Enemies don't really react to getting shot (this is particularly damning). There's very minimal "recoil camera jump" (yes, some people mock this, but it really does make a big difference). All of these things add up to guns that feel really fucking weak. Glory kills do the game no favors here, since it gives you an incentive to not see things die from guns very often.

Cynical said:

Yes, to basically all of these. The sound effects are weak and too quiet. The gun recoil animations are weak. Enemies don't really react to getting shot (this is particularly damning). There's very minimal "recoil camera jump" (yes, some people mock this, but it really does make a big difference). All of these things add up to guns that feel really fucking weak. Glory kills do the game no favors here, since it gives you an incentive to not see things die from guns very often.

Yeah but thats just 5% of the overall product.
Doom 1 didn't even have any audio-visual nonsence you talking about yet here we are CoD had worse audio-blah than Doom or Dishonored, yet you defend it just to make Doom seem worse than it really is.

But you probably think Im lying to myself because I don't agree with your "Facts".

Also waiting for the "Custom Title" that the mods may give you. XD

jazzmaster9 said:

Doom 1 didn't even have any audio-visual nonsence

Doom (EDIT: By this, I mean the original Doom, not Doom 4) had no sound-effects or animation? That's news to me.

Cynical said:

Doom (EDIT: By this, I mean the original Doom, not Doom 4) had no sound-effects or animation? That's news to me.

Dont try to act smart. Im talking about the visual Recoil and bullet Impact. Doom's gunplay felt more satisfying than most FPS today ( save for shadow Warrior and Bioshock)

EDIT: i checked The VGA results online and look like your bitching didn't change the results. I guess you need keep up your crusade.

I included both weapon recoil animations (not the camera jump, but the weapon animation itself) and sound effects in "audio-visual nonsence[SIC]", so I think you should be the one making more of an effort to try to act smart. Because, believe me, no observer would think that you're smart by reading this discussion.

Cynical said:

I included both weapon recoil animations (not the camera jump, but the weapon animation itself) and sound effects in "audio-visual nonsence[SIC]", so I think you should be the one making more of an effort to try to act smart. Because, believe me, no observer would think that you're smart by reading this discussion.

I don't need to act smart because compared to your arguments, I look smart already XD
But you gotta keep that Anti-Doom4 Crusade, you can't let a "mediocre" game win VGA again.

I'm under no illusion that average-to-bad games won't win VGA awards in the future. But I'd like to see users on a site devoted to a game from the early '90s, people who should know better, not champion it.

I'm overly optimistic, I know.

Cynical said:

But I'd like to see users on a site devoted to a game from the early '90s, people who should know better, not champion it.

I'm overly optimistic, I know.

so you want a group of people to follow your Anti-Doom4 hugbox?
That seem even less likely to happen XD
People have their preferences whether you like it or not.

and what do you mean by saying "people who should know better, not champion it"? you mean people who think otherwise don't know any better. get off your High horse.

You're not optimistc, its delusional, Trollish even.

What I'm saying by "people who should know better" is that people who are fans of a PC game from 1993 (or 1994, depending on IWAD of choice) should be familiar enough with games from the golden era of PC gaming (1991-1999) to not praise a game that's a poor clone of Painkiller, a game that itself was decent but not great.

Not taking any sides here, just gonna point out that a genius arguing with an idiot looks as stupid as the idiot... in case anybody was beginning to feel hyper-intelligent. 8D

Fonze said:

Not taking any sides here, just gonna point out that a genius arguing with an idiot looks as stupid as the idiot... in case anybody was beginning to feel hyper-intelligent. 8D

I agree and this should be the end of this never ending discussion... SHOULD... but I have the feeling it wont, at least not until this idiotic attitude of "I'm right, you're wrong" (cynical) is done.

So let me start by changing the topic. So, do you guys know how many free dlc's are left?

watstha said:

I agree and this should be the end of this never ending discussion... SHOULD... but I have the feeling it wont, at least not until this idiotic attitude of "I'm right, you're wrong" (cynical) is done.

So let me start by changing the topic. So, do you guys know how many free dlc's are left?

The upcoming one would be the last that was pre-planned. Where id Software goes from here is anybody's guess but, personally, I think it'd be ridiculous for them to not follow up with SOMETHING that has a serious single player element before the hype train for this game totally derails. Why not farm it out to Nerve or somebody that's proven a good track record for working on expansions if id themselves feel it would take too much resources?

I'll tell you one thing, if there's never any SP expansion for this game ever, I'll have to rethink how much I am willing to pay for the next game. A mainstream id release has come with the implicit promise of expansions ever since the original Doom got its Ultimate episode, and nothing up until now disappointed in that regard. And before the inevitable "But SnapMap!", I'll point out that the vast majority of those games supported user modding *in addition to* the expansions that were released. So to me it is not a substitute.

Quasar said:

I'll tell you one thing, if there's never any SP expansion for this game ever, I'll have to rethink how much I am willing to pay for the next game. A mainstream id release has come with the implicit promise of expansions ever since the original Doom got its Ultimate episode, and nothing up until now disappointed in that regard. And before the inevitable "But SnapMap!", I'll point out that the vast majority of those games supported user modding *in addition to* the expansions that were released. So to me it is not a substitute.

Since DOOM had a season pass, that means id/Bethesda had to continue putting resources towards the multiplayer DLC regardless of how the various game modes were received.

Then I assume id discussed working on a Campaign expansion after they finished making the multiplayer DLC, but perhaps they decided to instead just work on the sequel.

If they make a DOOM II and only commit to multiplayer DLC again, then I would be annoyed as well. But I think they'll change their tune for the next game.

With all that said, I have been enjoying SnapMap a lot. The updates have allowed the creators to make better and better maps, and we haven't even seen anything made after yesterday's big update. I know SnapMap is still limited, but it's pretty awesome and there's a ton of good maps to play now.