Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Forli

An untitled 12 map wad

These are the maps I have been doing recently, but I can't think of a title for the wad.

Spoiler

Screenshots:

They replace the first 6 maps of doom 2, were tested with zdoom and gzdoom and include difficulty settings.

Please tell me what you think, I still need to improve a lot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've made another... I guess I'll call it an episode of 6 maps.

Since I've been adding the new maps to the same wad I'm sharing them on the same thread.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nhcrxl58gniwud5/Untitled.zip

Screenshots:
Spoiler

The new maps are on slots 07 to 12, you don't need to play the first 6 since they are made with pistol starts in mind, is it a good idea to keep adding maps to the same wad or should I make a new one each time?

Give me your opinions if possible, I need to know if I'm getting any better at mapping at all.

This looks super-cool. I'm getting an Evilution feel from some of the screen shots (I mean that in a good way), I love the look and openness of the outdoor areas.

Played the first three maps of this; fairly fun, low-pressure, open stuff. Like the two new monsters I met, especially the uh, stationary one haha. Generally, I don't really like giving much advice because I like for people to figure out their styles and such, and I usually like most Doom stuff I play anyway. But one thing I would mention is the use of these arches found here and there:

It might be a good idea to kind of recess those back into the wall, and recess the wall around it so it still looks like an arch, if that makes any sense at all. The way they are here, it's extremely easy to get hung up on them.

Anyway, video if you're interested (I use Smooth Doom, by the way. As far as I can remember, it's purely cosmetic)

...I got lost on map 2, but that's just because I'm an idiot,

Thak you for the video!, I was not expecting someone to do that.

If what you are saying that I should do about the arches is to make the support not be an actual sector but instead make it be "painted" in the wall, I actually did that in other places. It seemed like they look better when they are sticking out but you are right, not getting in the way is probrably more important.

Also that HOM in the wall at around 12:50 was not there when I tested with zdoom and gzdoom, and I looked for it because I was afraid it might be there. It's because of something I have to do for the enemies to attack while the player is on a 3D floor, but I think that might not be how it's supposed to be done.

I looked around in ye olde GZDoombuilder, and as far as i can tell, the little line HOM can be fixed by going into "Make Sector" mode and just clicking on that sector. BUT, now the monsters will no longer attack you on a bridge, like you said. I know next to nothing about fancy ZDoom mapping, but maybe you can tuck that line away in a control sector out of the play area?

About the arches, this is what I meant:

This way, they don't look painted on, and they're harder to get snagged on.

Oh, I didn't think of making the arches like that, they actually look really good. Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely going to be making them like that.

The 3d bridges are not the zdoom ones, they are just the classic invisible floors with midtextures on them, other people do not seem to have that problem so I may be doing something wrong but I have no idea what that could be. I already tried placing that linedef in a control sector but it needs to be somewhere the monsters can shoot at.

Ok, I can only plead lack of sleep for not noticing several things when I looked in the editor. First, it is in Boom format, not ZDoom, so yeah, I'm still an idiot, heh. Anyway, Linedef action 242 - Create fake ceiling and floor is what you want here. It looks like you've used an old hacky vanilla bridge trick that I've never fully understood here, maybe the famous one from Requiem?

So, go into Make Sectors mode and click each sector of the bridge, and then select them all again and give them a new tag, making sure that the bridge sectors' heights are still "up" (height of 0 instead of -48, in this case). Then, select a linedef whose front sector has the ceiling and floor heights you want the bridge sector to look like it has (that highlighted one up in the top left corner). Give it action 242 and the matching tag and it appears to work fine on my end now. I typed this in a hurry before work, so I hope it makes sense/works for you.

My problem was that I have been using doom builder 2 just because it is the first editor I found and I was too lazy to switch, so I didn't know that action 242 existed. Now I feel silly for not getting gzdoombuilder earlier, after using it these past 2 days I can already see that it is a lot better.

Anyway, I'm just making this comment to let you now that I finally figured out this fake floor stuff, you really helped me a lot.

I've made another... I guess I'll call it an episode of 6 maps.

Since I've been adding the new maps to the same wad I'm sharing them on the same thread.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nhcrxl58gniwud5/Untitled.zip

Screenshots:

Spoiler

The new maps are on slots 07 to 12, you don't need to play the first 6 since they are made with
pistol starts in mind, is it a good idea to keep adding maps to the same wad or should
I make a new one each time?

Give me your opinions if possible, I need to know if I'm getting any better at mapping at all.

Looks pretty neat and tidy, haven't played it. Name suggestion; "Oscillator" - or perhaps "Ozzylator"?

Forli said:

is it a good idea to keep adding maps to the same wad or should
I make a new one each time?

I don't think its a good idea to keep stacking new maps on top. For one, those who have chosen to play it from the first version can't continue where they left off with their gear intact... Call it a day when you feel like you've reached a nice size (or climax) and start work on the sequel?

Maps 07-12 are meant to be their own episode and not continue directly from the previous ones, which is why they probably should be their own wad, but making one larger wad felt better than making a bunch of small ones. Also this is like a collection of maps I'm doing to get some mapping experience since I'm still a bit new at this(I'm not sure if I'm making any sense), I think I might add a few more maps to this before I move to something else.

I'm not sure how you got that name from this, but I'll probably take it so I don't have to think one myself, thanks.

Played the first 4 maps and I gotta say I'm really enjoying it. There's a lot of interesting gameplay, always seems like each map has a surprise in store for me. They also look good without being overly detailed and straying away from looking like Doom. Also the garbage can imps are fucking hillarious. Never thought I'd see something like that.

My only complaint is that there are some very large rooms with low tier enemies in them which pose little to no threat. Enemies like imps and zombiemen are usually best suited for small or cramped spaces where they actually have a chance to get a hit or 2 on the player before being mowed down.

Thanks for playing, I'm glad you are liking it.

As for the easy to kill low tier monsters, I felt like having some non threatening combat while walking around the maps could help the pacing (specially on maps I didn't want to make too hard), but I suspected that some parts like the beginning of map 4 could get a bit boring. If you could give me some specific examples it would help me see what the problem is.