Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

I just learned that Sgt. Mark IV has a Patreon.

Doomkid said:

I'm inclined to agree here. Some of the posts here almost read like "well if this band is gonna get paid for playing this gig, they owe some of the money to Fender for bestowing guitars upon them!" which is kind of silly, really.

It's a bit different when what you took is actually a significant portion of your work. I don't think "all the maps, and sprites/resources from other commercial games" qualify merely as instruments in this scenario.

Furthermore, we've actually seen this before in another community. Minecraft started off with simple donation systems, and it wasn't long until it all dissolved into a sea of ad.fly links for pretty much any download. While it's easy to say "well that won't happen here because reasons", caution should really be advised, as things can and have fallen into the "enforced tip-jar" scenario before.

As long as creators don't lock features behind paywalls, make it inconvenient to freely download a mod or provide exclusive access it's all OK in my book.

Edward850 said:

It's a bit different when what you took is actually a significant portion of your work. I don't think "all the maps, and sprites/resources from other commercial games" qualify merely as instruments in this scenario.

Furthermore, we've actually seen this before in another community. Minecraft started off with simple donation systems, and it wasn't long until it all dissolved into a sea of ad.fly links for pretty much any download. While it's easy to say "well that won't happen here because reasons", caution should really be advised, as things can and have fallen into the "enforced tip-jar" scenario before.

To be honest I agree with your entire post, it just seems that enough people want this to where we're not going to be able to avoid it happening slowly but surely. I'm just hoping we can keep it restricted and not let it get to that irritating "forced tip jar" shit. Hopefully since Doom is notably smaller than Minecraft and free mods have been a thing for 23 years, it will be easier to prevent us from going down the money grubbing crapchute of forced tips and whatnot. Hopefully.

I also just want to say @Memfis, I can't speak for others, but jealousy isn't the reason I don't really like the idea, it's more an attachment to this ideal of making/playing Doom stuff being free (aside from a computer and copy of the game) and the desire for it to stay that way as long as possible

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Then where would you draw the line?
Should a person be allowed to makes streams, reviews, and let's plays about Doom wads, and upload these videos on youtube to get ad revenue?
Should a person be allowed to make a wad-hosting website and make money from ad revenue?

That can only help gain more exposure; for better or worse. You would definitely want your game/mod out there, especially if they start advertising your Patreon.
If someone was on Youtube taking content from other youtuber's and uploading them while gaining ad revenue and it was all without permission, then yeah I'd strongly disagree with that too.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

And you are putting things in a way that make me look like I take resources and give nothing in return.

I take nothing from you; Brutal Doom hasn't become such a massive hit that helped revitalize the original Doom's awareness because it was a crappy mod; quite the opposite. I rather enjoy it and like I said, I really hope you are successful in this endeavor; however if this proves to be a success, I hope you are held to a higher standard than everyone else and you exceed these standards.

I don't believe paid content would diminish free content. I think it could diversify and stimulate the community's output.

Here's my perspective: I don't spend money on videogames, aside from a handful of indie and GOG purchases per year. The last big budget game I played was Halo 3. I would like to contribute to the communities that I enjoy.

If there were a sort of "Nobel Prize in Dooming" awarded to stimulate hard work and creativity, I'd contribute to the pot.

My thoughts:

Sgt Mark IV is doing brutal doom on his own free time. This is his choice. To support the time, he is requesting donations - which is very different from selling the mod. Nothing wrong with that. Anyone can get brutal doom for absolutely free, him selling it is infringement without permission from Zenimax.

Brutal DOOM has made classic DOOM a lot more popular. It has helped Doomworld stay alive.

I don't have a problem with him requesting money. If you like brutal doom and want more, then make a donation. If you don't like brutal doom or think the donations aren't necessarily then simply don't.

I personally support his efforts, but I almost always prefer playing games unmodded.

I don't see any problems with (almost) anybody having a Patreon, if people wanna donate to that person then go ahead.

Infact, I really don't get the negativity strapped to Patreon itself, it is just there to be another mean of income to creators.

mrthejoshmon said:

I don't see any problems with (almost) anybody having a Patreon, if people wanna donate to that person then go ahead.

Infact, I really don't get the negativity strapped to Patreon itself, it is just there to be another mean of income to creators.

think of it as a gofundme or kickstarter. they are popular, otherwise nobody would ever hear of them.

Just checked Mark's Patreon.

Another one of those "quit real life jobs to pursue a career on the net" type of people.

Not sure how is that gonna work, judging by the fact that he only gets 344 dollars per month as of writing this comment.

He believes he'll have more time making mods with this thing, sacrificing a real life job that secure his life more than a couple of patrons pledging to him.

My god, he's dumb. Just like the rest of the "net career pursuits".

3 minutes ago, Soldier993 said:

Just checked Mark's Patreon.

Another one of those "quit real life jobs to pursue a career on the net" type of people.

Not sure how is that gonna work, judging by the fact that he only gets 344 dollars per month as of writing this comment.

He believes he'll have more time making mods with this thing, sacrificing a real life job that secure his life more than a couple of patrons pledging to him.

My god, he's dumb. Just like the rest of the "net career pursuits".

Please don't bump old threads, and please especially don't bump old threads just to dump on people.

(And hell, an extra $300 a month for making Doom stuff sounds pretty nice to me :p)