Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

9 minutes ago, Nrg01 said:

Ah, 1.9.1 is the only stable version for my computer. I already tried newer versions and they strangely crash. That version you have would be really nice to have/be released.

Check your OpenGL version. You need OpenGL 3.0 and above to run GZDoom 2.x with full feature support, if you have OpenGL 2.0 you can try GZDoom 1.8.10 which is newer than any 1.9pre build.

3 hours ago, Nrg01 said:

That version you have would be really nice to have/be released.

Tell me about it.

The last stable version of GZDoom before getting into 2.0.x is 1.8.10. Even in Zandronum, last dev build works perfectly.

10 hours ago, Nrg01 said:

Ah, 1.9.1 is the only stable version for my computer. I already tried newer versions and they strangely crash. That version you have would be really nice to have/be released.

Of course it will! but it's not finished yet, we are working very hard on it. When it comes to be well tested and our current projects done, it will be released for everyone. A good job takes its time as I said. It's just a matter of time.

By the way guys, there was a point to doing the sector colors the way I did originally but for some reason I kept forgetting to explain it. When I started the maps, the Doom 64 lighting in GZDoom was not a thing yet, it become a thing around 75% of the maps being finished. Instead of going back to adding it to all the maps prior, I kept going the normal sector color way.

I did this for one major reason: I wanted a version of the mod to be playable in old versions of GZDoom. I like compatibility, so I wanted to get the first version out to everyone with maximum compatibility across versions of GZDoom and other ports that could support it. Later on when I add the right lighting effects, the mod will probably be immediately upgraded to version 2.0 regardless of if it was at 1.9 or anything lower.

With the lighting effects, it will require 2.4.0 of GZDoom. However, the first version(s) of the mod will always remain compatible for these old versions. I hope that makes more sense now as to why I stuck with doing the colors this way instead of going back and redoing them all.

And believe me, I want to see all the maps in the glory of gradient color lighting and they will be in due time.

On 4/5/2017 at 1:07 PM, Danfun64 said:

I confirmed that I have the same issue with the Unmaker lagging if holding the fire button on both OpenGL and Software rendering, so OpenGL dynamic lights have nothing to do with the issue...

On 4/5/2017 at 1:14 PM, leodoom85 said:

Maybe the Unmaker shot has so many particles that can produce in an instant. That could be the cause of the lagging. Also it can happen with the rocket trail :)

So...how do I reduce the particles to levels that my laptop can handle?

10 minutes ago, Danfun64 said:

So...how do I reduce the particles to levels that my laptop can handle?

The other way that I can think of is, try it with Zandronum, last dev build. I tried it and the game works great too.

On 4/7/2017 at 3:09 PM, Dav_NW said:

Check your OpenGL version. You need OpenGL 3.0 and above to run GZDoom 2.x with full feature support, if you have OpenGL 2.0 you can try GZDoom 1.8.10 which is newer than any 1.9pre build.

Oh yeah I did that (old machine). Version 1.8.10 dates to December 2014 while 1.9.1 dates to February 2016 and doesn't display as a "pre" version. The latter hasn't failed me thus far.  The reason I kept trying the new versions is because of what the official GZDoom site says: "The 1.x versions are no longer available because Legacy support has now been merged into the 2.x mainline."

Hey guys. Don't worry, haven't forgotten about all the bugs and current issues. I have been watching streams of the mod and been on the lookout for bugs and taking into account all types of playstyles. I am currently working on bugfixes for maps and hope to put out version 1.1 tomorrow or Monday, possibly even sometimes tomorrow morning.

There are lots of fixes, and the changelog is already over 50 lines (one line per change). I know hearing 50 changes might sound bad, but by changes I mean fixing things. I know the rep the word change gets, but in this case of this mod I hope the word means improvement. Think of the changelog as an improvementlog instead.

Also I actually plan and hope to add fading to all monster spawns for 1.2. That is a big change and requires individual attention for every map, so I will tackle a couple major issues at once for 1.2. This includes the fading of monster spawns as well as hiding the skybox sectors and other sectors for every map when using textured display.

Finally as mentioned above, the grand version 2.0 will have the lighting update with actual Doom 64 lighting, but that's probably a ways off. In between 1.2 and 2.0 I hope to get the Retribution episode out. Progress on it is slow due to making current changes to the mod for 1.1. I'm not superman so I have to balance the time and do what is needed first. Hopefully soon the only issue that will remain is the lighting, so I can focus on mapping for the new episode.

Stay tuned for 1.1 in the next couple days, and 1.2 in the coming weeks.

11 hours ago, Nevander said:

Hey guys. Don't worry, haven't forgotten about all the bugs and current issues. I have been watching streams of the mod and been on the lookout for bugs and taking into account all types of playstyles. I am currently working on bugfixes for maps and hope to put out version 1.1 tomorrow or Monday, possibly even sometimes tomorrow morning.

There are lots of fixes, and the changelog is already over 50 lines (one line per change). I know hearing 50 changes might sound bad, but by changes I mean fixing things. I know the rep the word change gets, but in this case of this mod I hope the word means improvement. Think of the changelog as an improvementlog instead.

Also I actually plan and hope to add fading to all monster spawns for 1.2. That is a big change and requires individual attention for every map, so I will tackle a couple major issues at once for 1.2. This includes the fading of monster spawns as well as hiding the skybox sectors and other sectors for every map when using textured display.

Finally as mentioned above, the grand version 2.0 will have the lighting update with actual Doom 64 lighting, but that's probably a ways off. In between 1.2 and 2.0 I hope to get the Retribution episode out. Progress on it is slow due to making current changes to the mod for 1.1. I'm not superman so I have to balance the time and do what is needed first. Hopefully soon the only issue that will remain is the lighting, so I can focus on mapping for the new episode.

Stay tuned for 1.1 in the next couple days, and 1.2 in the coming weeks.

Great thing that you'll add the fading spawn for all monsters, because it's how it is originally. And good luck by adding the colored lighting, that one will take a lot of time.

Version 1.1 of the mod is now available.

Download here:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retribution/downloads/doom-64-retribution-version-11

Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 1.1 (4/9/17) [current]
GENERAL:
- Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the FluidSynth DLL now included
- Unmaker no longer shares a weapon slot with the BFG and has been moved to slot 8
- Regular Imps and Nightmare Imps will no longer infight (original behavior)
- Decreased Light Amp Goggles duration from 120 seconds to 30 seconds to be less annoying
- Fixed an issue with the Super Shotgun reload sounds cutting off pain sounds and vice versa
- Nightmare Imps will now be crushed into violet gibs instead of red as to match their sprites
- BFG projectile explosion will now blend the screen green if the explosion is within line of sight
- Firing the BFG will no longer blend the screen green if classic animations are enabled
- Decreased the amount of green the screen blends from 0.75 to 0.50 to be closer to the original effect
- Cleaned up code for casings and moved common code into a base actor class
- Casings fired from the Chaingun now spawn closer to the player instead of far out beside the barrels
- Casings will now be crushed by doors and other crushable areas
- Added a third liquid hit sound for casings for a tiny bit more variety
- Imp and Nightmare imp projectile spawnheight increased from 60 to 64
- Hell Knight and Baron of Hell projectile spawnheight increased from 48 to 52
- Small ceiling light dynamic light size increased from 24 to 32
- Hanging ceiling lamp dynamic light size increaed from 32 to 40
- Hanging ceiling lamp dynamic light z offset decreased from -16 to -14
- Colored fire actors dynamic light sizes increased from 28/32 to 32/34
- Cyberdemon rocket speed decreased from 26 to 23
- Mancubus radius increased from 50 to 52
- Upped teleport sound limit in SNDINFO from 2 to 3
- Adjusted some punctuation in LANGUAGE strings
- Doomslayer skill: Upped ammofactor from 2.0 to 3.0
- Doomslayer skill: Removed Berserk swap to Medikit for map compatibility
- Doomslayer skill: monsterhealth is now set at 0.8 instead of 1.0, damagefactor the same
MAPS:
- INTERMISSIONS: Accidental instantaneous skips are now prevented, can skip after 2 seconds
- MAP01 Staging Area: Conveyor belts in second room will now carry dropped casings and monsters
- MAP02 The Terraformer: Changed some textures in some places and adjusted some texture alignments
- MAP02 The Terraformer: Monitor area near yellow key now has blocking flags where needed
- MAP03 Main Engineering: Backpack at start area will now spawn after blue key sequence finishes
- MAP03 Main Engineering: Changed color of lights in front of inactive monitors at exit
- MAP03 Main Engineering: Fixed a bug where the player could get stuck inside a switch activated door
- MAP03 Main Engineering: Added dynamic lights to the monitors in front of secret door
- MAP03 Main Engineering: Added block monster lines to teleport pads near yellow key
- MAP03 Main Engineering: Changed textures near some switches to match with surrounding textures
- MAP04 Holding Area: Berserk at start behind player is now a secret area
- MAP04 Holding Area: Changed textures near some switches to match with surrounding textures
- MAP04 Holding Area: Teleporter texture to secret exit platforms is now animated
- MAP04 Holding Area: Adjusted the color of the starting area to be closer to the original map
- MAP04 Holding Area: Added dynamic lights to corners in starting area to better emulate the lighting here
- MAP04 Holding Area: Lost Souls in secret near puzzle switches are closer to floor
- MAP05 Tech Center: Hell Knight in maze area is now set to ambush players
- MAP05 Tech Center: Adjusted alignment of diamond wall textures in room with first switch
- MAP05 Tech Center: Changed some textures to match with surrounding textures
- MAP06 Alpha Quadrant: Fixed an issue where monsters would attempt to attack through 0 height 3D floors
- MAP06 Alpha Quadrant: Adjusted lighting on upper walls in pillar room
- MAP06 Alpha Quadrant: Better aligned textures at steps to get out of pit in pillar room
- MAP07 Research Lab: Hid area computer map secret on automap
- MAP07 Research Lab: Added block monster flag to some lines in slime tunnels
- MAP08 Final Outpost: Added a check to prevent the maze script from running multiple times in older GZDoom
- MAP10 The Bleeding: Added block monster flag to steps near yellow key building entrance
- MAP10 The Bleeding: Moved yellow key back 8 units to prevent grabs
- MAP10 The Bleeding: Added noisealert script for waking up monsters prior to exiting map
- MAP11 Terror Core: Made the recessed walls at player start impassable
- MAP11 Terror Core: Switch in wall to open Soulsphere pathway now has switch height check
- MAP12 Altar of Pain: Walkway around the outside no longer pre-raised just like the original map
- MAP12 Altar of Pain: Fixed and aligned textures on columns around Unmaker area
- MAP12 Altar of Pain: Added missing secret flag to secret exit entrance
- MAP13 Dark Citadel: Added escape lift to inescapable blood pit in blue armor room
- MAP13 Dark Citadel: Blood pit will no longer damage player prior to script being activated
- MAP13 Dark Citadel: Wood pillar beside blue armor will now have wood floor texture when script runs
- MAP13 Dark Citadel: Added drop actor flag to elevator before red key
- MAP15 Dark Entries: Fixed an issue which could cause tracers not to spawn behind player start on certain skills
- MAP16 Blood Keep: Added silent sector sound to sides of walls that lower after red key door (to be less loud)
- MAP16 Blood Keep: Added block monster flag to lines at library stair sides near dart shooter
- MAP17 Watch Your Step: Changed some textures to match with surrounding textures
- MAP18 Spawned Fear: Fixed a bug where it was possible to get stuck inside secret exit room
- MAP18 Spawned Fear: Added escape lift to inescapable blood pit with fires
- MAP18 Spawned Fear: Lost Souls inside radsuit area are now set to ambush player
- MAP19 The Spiral: Added block monster flag to exit teleporter lines
- MAP19 The Spiral: Moved yellow torch in wall alcove down by 4 height
- MAP20 Breakdown: Made some minor tweaks and optimizations to the start area
- MAP20 Breakdown: Added block monster flag to lines around pillars in start area
- MAP20 Breakdown: Fixed overlapping cloud skies by adding missing horizontal offset
- MAP20 Breakdown: Demon trap room now locks player in and Demons fade out upon all being killed
- MAP21 Pitfalls: Added block monster flag to exit area lines
- MAP23 Unholy Temple: Fixed a bug where certain monsters would fail to spawn in the blue key arena
- MAP24 No Escape: Fixed a bug where the player could get stuck inside BFG secret alcove
- MAP26 Hardcore: Adjusted sector colors and light level to more closely resemble the original map
- MAP26 Hardcore: Super Shotgun and shell boxes will now spawn when Cyberdemon does
- MAP29 Outpost Omega: Fixed incorrect monster spawning where they spawned on wrong skills
- MAP29 Outpost Omega: Fixed and aligned textures in and around monster cages
- MAP29 Outpost Omega: Upper unpegged outside tops of monster cages
- MAP29 Outpost Omega: Added block player flag to the outside of monster cages
- MAP29 Outpost Omega: Taking secret Unmaker will now count as a secret
- MAP29 Outpost Omega: Changed some textures to match with surrounding textures
- MAP30 The Lair: Adjusted timings on the gate lowering after taking Soulsphere
- MAP31 In the Void: Taking the cyan Demon Key now counts as a secret
- MAP32 Hectic: Green armor can now be taken from the right side without needing to grab it carefully
- MAP34 Test Facility: Control room now protected from accidental monster attacks

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

Regular Imps and Nightmare Imps will no longer infight (Original Behavior)

Actually they do infight in the original game. They are different enemy types with different projectiles.  It was the same reason why the Hell Knights and Barons infight.

Wtf. I tried it before on The Spiral in EX, they did not infight. Tried it now by spawning them with the console, they do. I don't understand, they didn't infight before. Something must have prevented them from infighting in that case.

Yes. They do infight...a bit of luck and you wait until one of them dies...

Someone on ModDB is really excited for the new episode, so I wanted to write out some kind of plot for the episode to bridge the games as best as I know how. Some of this may be canonically incorrect as I wrote this up literally right now. I will refine it and it will become the plot to the episode. If there is anything majorly wrong, please correct me and help me build the plot since I only played the new Doom one time and only listened to the testaments one time.

Directly after killing the Mother Demon, you travel through a deep ancient cave system and reach an ancient portal to another realm of Hell. It is in this realm where you come across many ancient and unholy structures and complexes of Hell, one of which is a castle home to the Night Sentinels and "the wretch." Inside this castle, you find and equip the Praetor Suit and continue your onslaught of preventing the Demons from ever rising again.

You exit the realm and return to the outermost layer of Hell. Upon reaching the outer layer, you come across the Relay satellite which sent the message that started the game. The satellite was brought into Hell itself and is still broadcasting a faint signal. To divert the UAC's inevitable attempt to enter Hell themselves to investigate, you go inside to disable it for good and guard the gates to Hell. However things aren't so simple.

Upon arriving at the gates to Hell, you discover the Demons are gearing up for another invasion. Thousands of Demons stand before you ready to invade Mars and Earth again, desperately seeking "retribution" for what the Doom Slayer has wrought upon their worlds. Only this time, the Demons realize they cannot defeat you with only their strength, and so they trick you. You wipe out hundreds of them before wandering into a sacred corridor. It's too quiet, no Demon in sight. Entering the room was the Doom Slayer's only mistake. A demonic spirit overcomes you, your power and strength are gone. Your weapons disintegrate, and you see only darkness. The Demons laid a trap, and your thirst for ending their lives was your downfall. Your armor is stripped, you are buried alive and sunken deep into a Demonic temple. Your armor buried beside you, you and it sealed into solid rock. The temple is demolished and collapsed over the Doom Slayer, and the Demons begin to rebuild their armies for their next invasion.

Cue DOOM 2016, in which the UAC re-enters Hell, discovers the temple, and bring you back to Mars. Not long after, the Demons discover the Doom Slayer is gone. UAC left behind their footprint, and Hell follows. The invasion begins and the Demons have no remaining choice. It's time, they have to kill you or you will awaken and end them all. The Demons still underestimate your ability. You awaken, and begin seeking Retribution on every living Demon in existence. Your blood boils with hate, and all Demons must die.
Rip and tear!

8 hours ago, Nevander said:

Someone on ModDB is really excited for the new episode, so I wanted to write out some kind of plot for the episode to bridge the games as best as I know how. Some of this may be canonically incorrect as I wrote this up literally right now. I will refine it and it will become the plot to the episode. If there is anything majorly wrong, please correct me and help me build the plot since I only played the new Doom one time and only listened to the testaments one time.

Sounds like a proper trailer :D

9 hours ago, Nevander said:

You mean this one: "Hey, Nevander, I love how you made the doom 64 mod. For purist and casuals alike. But i had a little request and, maybe, and interesting idea to share with you. I'm desesperately waiting for the Retribution chapter and i was thinking that i would be awesome if you could put the missing monsters in it. Like the Revenant (maybe make this as PSX DOOM? Slower, but deadlier), the Spider Mastermind, and, (i don't know if this posible) a new graphic Arch-Vile. I know that the original Doom 64 doesn't have them, but well, i think that the Retribution chapter, the one that links the event in Doom 64 with Doom 2016, NEEDS them. I would be great if is there a way to show how doomguy gains the brutal atitude that he have when he becomes the DoomSlayer.
Well, i write a bit much, sorry if i bother you. but i can't hold on to myself when i start dreaming of your Retribution chapter. Its so much fun brainstorming ideas.
Hope you give the community an amazing new chapter in our favorite game.
See ya!"

Hey, I'm a bit excited about that new episode too. 

On 4/8/2017 at 0:41 PM, leodoom85 said:

The other way that I can think of is, try it with Zandronum, last dev build. I tried it and the game works great too.

That actually worked for some reason, but why? What changed after GZDoom 1.8.6 that would cause the particles to lag even in Software mode?

20 hours ago, Nevander said:

Wtf. I tried it before on The Spiral in EX, they did not infight. Tried it now by spawning them with the console, they do. I don't understand, they didn't infight before. Something must have prevented them from infighting in that case.

There's an option in Doom Builder 64 when editing monsters that you can tic which prevents them from infighting or not.

@Nevander I like it! As fan suggestions of mine which you can either implement or not, considering Retribution bridges D64 and D16 it should be notably darker than normal D64 with its depiction of a decaying and broken demon world, but more action packed than D64 before long, to emphasize the killing power of the Doomslayer. But with a slower than usual start at first, more about the individual encounters and tricks 'n traps of the environment. Especially with the ancient temple theme (think Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil's beginning).

4 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

There's an option in Doom Builder 64 when editing monsters that you can tic which prevents them from infighting or not.

Huh. I forgot about that flag. However I checked the map in Doom Builder 64 and none of the Imps have it checked. I must be losing my mind or something. Either way, they will infight again for 1.2.

3 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

@Nevander I like it! As fan suggestions of mine which you can either implement or not, considering Retribution bridges D64 and D16 it should be notably darker than normal D64 with its depiction of a decaying and broken demon world, but more action packed than D64 before long, to emphasize the killing power of the Doomslayer. But with a slower than usual start at first, more about the individual encounters and tricks 'n traps of the environment. Especially with the ancient temple theme (think Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil's beginning).

The beginning levels I hope to show a broken and battered Hell, and the deepest reaches will be very dark and foreboding. The action will ramp up quite quickly around the midpoint, with the final level being basically nonstop action. I want to try to make a "reasonable" slaughtermap. One where it makes sense for the plot that you are trying to stop the next invasion. So yea, I will try to hit the nail on the head with what you suggested.

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

@Nevander the plot sounds good but needs more polish, could I help with it?

Anything that helps clean up the inconsistencies with the lore would be best, as I said I wrote that randomly just from thoughts at that moment. The details need the work now, I know the overall synopsis and I like the way it sounds now reading it again.

As I said, it sounds good, especially the relay satellite idea. I can help with the lore, I will write several ideas you can use or scrap for the plot and setting. But where is the relay satellite? outer space??

What if the satellite relays something along the lines of the following message: '...Marine no longer needed...ensure Marine does not escape...' To insinuate being used by the UAC thus your betrayal in addition to them wanting to exploit Hell for its Argent energy, making you enemies with the UAC, disgusted that they'd sellout their own species.

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

As I said, it sounds good, especially the relay satellite idea. I can help with the lore, I will write several ideas you can use or scrap for the plot and setting. But where is the relay satellite? outer space??

It's my thinking that perhaps it was floating nearby the base in space that we go to in the beginning of the game. It's assumed that the Mother Demon was inside this base and then started resurrecting everything, which the satellite reports. Then the Mother Demon escapes to Hell and of course enter the Doomguy...

A theory of mine is that the satellite could have been brought into Hell by the Demons in order to lure UAC there or anything else. The Doomguy wants the UAC to stop trying to do Hell stuff so we discover it and shut it down. We are perhaps too late, since UAC ends up re-entering Hell anyway when they come across us buried in the sarcophagus. Or maybe it was years and years later and it's a "routine" expedition into Hell for the Argent energy or whatever, and so the Demons follow them back or something.

49 minutes ago, cyan0s1s said:

What if the satellite relays something along the lines of the following message: '...Marine no longer needed...ensure Marine does not escape...' To insinuate being used by the UAC thus your betrayal in addition to them wanting to exploit Hell for its Argent energy, making you enemies with the UAC, disgusted that they'd sellout their own species.

Well the UAC found us and brought us back to Mars in the event of another invasion, so I don't think they sold us out. In fact it's good that the UAC did and found us because Hell would have invaded anyway again if they didn't discover us and went back into Hell. Everything would be screwed then lol.

Meh. Another Marine would have taken his place.

After all, until Doom 2016 came along and reimagined Doomguy as some sort of demigod with a convoluted backstory, all Doom protagonists had been just regular Marines who prevailed against the forces of Hell through wit and sheer luck. 

Basically, Doomguy went from being a futuristic John McLane to an edgy Terminator.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

That's not true. We are the same Doomguy as we were through Ultimate Doom to Doom 64. I'd like to think we even still the same one in Doom 2016 also. The story texts and plot tie that together and prove we are the same one throughout.