Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

Yeah, Hellish maps could stay evil themed like in the original game, I guess you already know that, but it adds pretty cool dark atmosphere seeing these demonic signs and stuff on the decor imo. Doom 64 is pretty much the best game to have such themed maps. Doom 3 for instance, was kind of cheesy about that, even at young age I was kind of mocking this rather than being scared lol.

5 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

How about having to place skulls on altars?

Sounds like a good idea. Instead of locked doors, you'd place the skulls on altars that act as doors to open the exit or final room (kinda like Speed of Doom's MAP29).

1 hour ago, Mayhem666 said:

Yeah, Hellish maps could stay evil themed like in the original game, I guess you already know that, but it adds pretty cool dark atmosphere seeing these demonic signs and stuff on the decor imo. Doom 64 is pretty much the best game to have such themed maps. Doom 3 for instance, was kind of cheesy about that, even at young age I was kind of mocking this rather than being scared lol.

Oh don't worry, theme of the Hell map won't change. It's content I am thinking about in this case.

Could involve runic symbols (think nu-Doom) that you need to align in a certain order (think of the key puzzle from Blood's Dark Carnival to access the secret House of Horrors level) and the correct sequence is in the order of where you discover them throughout the level, perhaps set in doorways or something in the order of the places you need to visit first.

E: The puzzle in Hexen near the end in Zedek's Tomb also comes to mind, probably a better example.

Screenshots from Outcast level 4 (Forge), the second of three which were unfinished by Kaiser. These are all from the same map.

https://imgur.com/a/misLg

Just thought I'd post something up since I want you guys to see what I've been doing, and more importantly that I am doing stuff.

I hope to finish this one tomorrow or at least before Monday. Also I made (still tweaking) an optional WAD addon that gives other pickups dynamic lights the way the Absolution TC does. So basically shotgun shells will have a small red dynamic light, health packs have small beige lights. I think Doomsday is able to automatically assign colors based on an averaged color from the pixels, but I don't think GZDoom can do that for lights, only glowing flats.

Still watching this develop over time, even if I no longer have a game-capable computer. I do hope the Outcast extras are implemented oneday, however silly they are, as I never got to play that original TC, nothing about it has ever worked on any of my machines. Rather just play on GZDoom which always works for me. No harm in variety and options.

Great to see some new screenshots! If there's one thing the Doom 64 texture set and lighting system are good at, it's creating atmosphere.

This next release is looking to be very promising so far. ;)

Been loving this so far Nevander, you've done excellent work. It's great having an actual, more or less faithful way of playing Doom 64 on GZDoom, without tons of irrelevant monsters crammed into the levels (GZD64/BD64) or anything like that. The new episodes are looking nice, I only ever got a change to play one or two of the Absolution levels, so this oughtta be interesting.

I'm most excited for that Retribution episode, but one thing at a time. ^^;

5 hours ago, Prologue-9 said:

I only ever got a change to play one or two of the Absolution levels, so this oughtta be interesting.

Yep, same here. I barely touched the unique Absolution levels and never played the Outcast Levels until I started converting them. It is my hope to finally bring these not so known maps into the broader scope of known Doom 64 maps and finally give everyone an easy and simple way to finally play them. Same goes for Redemption Denied and The Reckoning, which will be next after this upcoming update. Then, finally the Retribution episode.

On 11/4/2017 at 1:13 AM, Nevander said:

Screenshots from Outcast level 4 (Forge), the second of three which were unfinished by Kaiser. These are all from the same map.

https://imgur.com/a/misLg

Just thought I'd post something up since I want you guys to see what I've been doing, and more importantly that I am doing stuff.

Very nice, Nevander. Looking forward to reliving Outcast.

Hi, just wanted to say I love this project.

How much have you progressed since November ?

8 hours ago, Thenuke said:

How much have you progressed since November ?

Unfortunately not very much. What's left to be done for the next update isn't much either thankfully. Hopefully I can get the drive to finish off this update soon and get 1.4 out for you guys. Once I get back in gear, I will have a more definitive idea of what's coming and when.

I know that I'm late for the train, but I thank you for this awesomely done Doom 64 port iteration. My legs tense when I get jumped with those silent teleport traps, not to mention the weapons feel so meaty. I also like the introduction screen before the first map.

All in all, everything about this mod has been awesome so far. Cheers!

I'm gonna be getting around to finally checking this out, having that D64 itch since it's been a little over a year since my last EX playthrough.

Doom 64 options appears when using Zandronum (which doesn't allow the midi sound to play), but not when running on GZDoom. Why's that?

5 hours ago, MattGuy1990 said:

Doom 64 options appears when using Zandronum (which doesn't allow the midi sound to play), but not when running on GZDoom. Why's that?

What version of GZDoom are you using?

The Doom 64 Features menu is written in MENUDEF that is based on an older version of GZDoom (2.2 is what I made the mod with), so that means it won't appear in newer versions where the menus are totally different. You'll have to change them with the console or INI.

6 hours ago, MattGuy1990 said:

GZDoom since 3.2.0 (if I recall correctly) has pretty much changed how menu options can be added, which would be adding an "AddOptionMenu" instead of typing out the whole options menu just to add a new one. You would need a utility such as SLADE 3 to open the main WAD file and edit the MENUDEF file. To do this, go under "CUSTOM OPTIONS MENU TO ADD FEATURES MENU" and replace the code there with this:

AddOptionMenu "OptionsMenu"
{
	StaticText " "
	Submenu "DOOM 64 Features Menu", "D64FeaturesMenu"
}

Unfortunately Zandronum doesn't seem to like "AddOptionMenu", but this should work for GZDoom 3.2.0 and onwards.

Hey guys. Bit of an update on things:

1) @Doom4Ever reminded me about my Twitter, so I will probably start using that more now to push out small updates on the current progress of the mod instead of making lots of posts here unless I have things to show. New version updates will still get a new post, as to bump the thread so people can see there is a new version.

2) I am getting back into the mapping mood and want to convert more maps as well as finish up the Outcast maps and get out 1.4. We're pretty much waiting on only 2 maps to be done so I can put out 1.4.

3) I found a better way to do the map names that appear when maps load (if you enable the option). For some reason I never noticed that you can use the n: cast type to print a level name when using Print and or HudMessage. This means I can pull the names to be printed from MAPINFO which then looks them up in LANGUAGE. This means you can edit the map names without needing to edit the map ACS.

4) I need to make a patch for the features menu for newer GZDoom versions that do different MENUDEF and include it in the download so the menu won't be missing in new versions.

5) I have started converting maps from the Redemption Denied mapset. I still don't know if these maps ever had names since there isn't any DEF file included that changes them, unlike The Reckoning (which does have proper names). If they did not have their own names, then I will come up with some once I finish them.

6) I am going to clean up the OP a bit as to include only relevant information which will not change and doesn't need to be updated much. So it will get a bit condensed.

Great! Nice to see some more progress on the new update but I do have a question...

Now that Doom 64 style lighting is available and can be easily set up using GZDoom Builder (Bugfix), when you do predict that it will be added to the existing maps? Is this something we could expect in the 1.5 update or is that going to be part of an overhaul later down the line (2.0 maybe?)

I don't wish to rush you, as we're already getting nearer and nearer to the next release, but I just wanted to get some clarification on the matter. Don't feel pressured to do too much for this next update, I'll be plenty satisfied just to have some new maps to play!

Well if someone can add it the ability to modify it via ACS then it will happen sooner rather than later because I want to get it right the first time. I need to be able to change it on the fly with some ACS special. There are a couple feature requests for it on the ZDoom forums and Graf even said there was a way to do it but he never said how nor have the requests been considered yet.

That... and I don't know how the effects will play with other special effects I use in my maps, such as the normal lighting effects (fade, strobe), lightning, normal brightness changes, stuff like that. We also don't have the color pegging that the original has... so basically the system in place in GZDoom is pretty basic and still pretty undeveloped. It's basically just "set this color in the editor and that's it."

Oh yea... while I'm here, here's the names I came up with for the Redemption Denied maps (which I assume were unnamed, if not then I don't know what they were because @AgentSpork said he forgot his and @Steve Searle never got back to me). I think they'd like these. :)

RDM01: The Metacenter

RDM02: Secondary Complex (the elevator at the end will be functional, which will fade into it lowering in the beginning of RDM03)

RDM03: Deep Sector

RDM04: Command Center

RDM05: Operations Base

RDM06: Processing Area

RDM07: Networking Station

RDM08: The Sanctum (the only Hell map in the set, oddly enough)

Edited by Nevander : Added a real map name

They were a set of maps for the old D64 Absolution TC for Doomsday, I never played them however, same with the Outcast content.

Well, fret no more! You will be able to finally experience them (in a remastered form!) when they are released for D64 Retribution. The only thing they won't have is the exclusive monsters and items that were added by the old TC (yet). I have not ruled out not adding them and most likely will add them down the line, but right now is not the time. So, basically the maps (improved) are what will be added.

I am still working hard on the remaining maps and such to finish off. However, I may not be able to finish before February but that doesn't mean another long delay... it just means it might end up being the first week or so in February when 1.4 comes out. I will try to make it before but it might end up being in the middle of next week. All depends on how much I can get done in the time that I can.

Regardless, 1.4 is extremely imminent and 1.5 with the Redemption Denied maps will follow much quicker, and then 1.6 with the Reckoning. Each subsequent version will contain any necessary bug fixes from the previous. So for example, 1.5 will include the Redemption Denied levels and any fixes that need to be made to the new maps added in 1.4 and so on.

Finally version 1.7 will be the Retribution episode, whenever that gets done. It will happen I promise, just not sure when.

And yes @LemonWolf3322, I plan to re-do the lighting for a 2.0 overhaul version that uses all the new features that will be available at that time. This means the mod will require GZDoom 3.2.5 or whatever version is current at the time of 2.0's release. Any version of the TC prior to 2.0 will remain compatible with old GZDoom versions, at least back to 1.8.6.

A tribute to an older TC sounds cool. Can't wait to play it without having to dabble on a redundant source port/program!

Version 1.4a is now available! Huzzah!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retribution/downloads/doom-64-retribution-version-14a

Please download, replay and go through the new maps! Let me know if you run into any bugs or have suggestions for improving the three maps I "finished off" from the Outcast Levels (these three maps are Control, Forge, and Derelict). I think they all turned out great (especially Derelict) but the community should be the judge.

Also, random statistic: since release, all updates combined, ModDB reports around 7,500 downloads!

Edited by Nevander

Hi ! Great update !

I noticed a bug in the script at the end of DOOM 64 Museum map.

It's supposed to dispose of the Unmaker upgrades but instead but it doesn't.

I'm using GZDOOM v3.2.5.

Amazing update, nice to see the Absolution Levels in with a new set of levels. The various fixes here are also appreciated. Just played one of the Outcast levels and it's pretty solid so far. I look forward to finishing the rest. I can say this is easily one of the definitive ways to play Doom 64 on modern computers!

However, it appears that the DOOM 64 Features Menu is still not showing up in the Options Menu, I checked the MENUDEF file and the Features Menu has not been changed to use AddOptionMenu. I'll paste the code (again?) to show where I changed it, though of course it is easy for anyone to go use a utility such as SLADE to make this change.

/* --- CUSTOM OPTIONS MENU TO ADD FEATURES MENU ----------------------------- */

AddOptionMenu "OptionsMenu"
{
	StaticText " "
	Submenu "DOOM 64 Features Menu", "D64FeaturesMenu"
}