Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

I don't know if you'd be open to accepting community contributions or anything, but I got bored after playing Retribution one day and decided to sit down and crank out some DECORATE equivalents of the Absolution/Outcast monsters. I believe I finished all of them except the Acid Demons and the Chaingun Zombies.

I couldn't help you replicate the Unmaker firing modes as they're quite a bit more complicated, but if you're still interested I could send you the wad file so you can pick and choose what to keep and what to throw out.

2 hours ago, LemonWolf3322 said:

but I got bored after playing Retribution one day and decided to sit down and crank out some DECORATE equivalents of the Absolution/Outcast monsters

Wow really? It worked the other way for me. The new monsters bored me instead since they are so bullet spongey or redundant. But sure, I do still plan to at least try to recreate them all in GZDoom but I don't know if they will get used directly. They might end up becoming a global modifier addon which will end up randomizing the spawns of these items with certain percentages. This does two things: recreates the items and monsters and also keeps the mod true to the original game and not so much the original TC.

Yeah, I don't know what it is about me, but I have a lot of fun tearing apart other people's mods and seeing what I can do with them. It helps when trying to get inspiration for your own mods, that's for sure :P

If you'd like to use what I've already finished as a basis for your own version, you can download it here.

As for what's all included, it has fully functional versions of the Nightmare Spectre and the Nightmare Cacodemon that are 100% accurate, and then 90% accurate versions of the Stalker and Night Crawler that while fully functional, have a few differences to the original versions. Namely, I had trouble replicating the exact chance of the Stalker's teleportation attack and the gravity/bounciness of the Night Crawler's grenades. They could probably use a bit more fine tuning.

As a bit of a bonus, I also included an updated version of the fade spawning script to take account for the new monsters, a modified version of MAP34 that allows for spawning of the 4 new monsters, and an extended character cast for after MAP28.

I don't know how much updating you've done behind the scenes, but I tried to keep the formatting of all of the new stuff accurate to 1.3's format. All of it should be easy to implement, as I'd imagine most of it is just a matter of dragging and dropping and maybe changing up spawn IDs and whatnot.

Anyway, hope you can find a use for it. I graciously await a new version of Retribution and can't wait to see the new maps. ;)

TBQH, I found them pretty neat and fun to kill. If the Absolution levels use, then why not include them?

So I remember fondly lusting after Doom64 back in Nintendo Power, but never having had an N64 it was always out of my reach. . .

But man. . . .if this was what I was missing, I'm so upset at myself for not making an effort. I /just/ finished the final level right now and I have to thank you for this experience; such an atmospheric and awesome campaign really got me thinking about maps and things in new ways and I had an absolute blast. Thanks so much for this 'port' and being so awesome with it. I really had fun and got a lot of inspiration from it.

Thanks again!

Hey guys I think I'm a little stupid.  I've looked for like the last ten minutes and can't find the D64 Features menu in options to toggle shell casings.  Any help?

It's right there after the Set Video Mode option.

But write

d64_dropcasings 1

to enable shell casings. It's set to 0 by default.

10 minutes ago, Voros said:

It's right there after the Set Video Mode option.

But write

d64_dropcasings 1

to enable shell casings. It's set to 0 by default.

Hmm. Only "Change Rendering Options" is below Set Video Mode for me. But thank you for the cmd.

He's probably using a newer version of GZDoom where the included MENUDEF lump is obsolete. On newer versions the menu will not show up and CVARS will need to be changed though the INI or console. I notice a lot of people seem to be playing with default options and might not even be aware that this menu exists.

47 minutes ago, Nevander said:

He's probably using a newer version of GZDoom where the included MENUDEF lump is obsolete. On newer versions the menu will not show up and CVARS will need to be changed though the INI or console. I notice a lot of people seem to be playing with default options and might not even be aware that this menu exists.

^ Correct.  I'm using a nightly of Gzdoom.  I only knew of the menu because of reading through the readme.

Great mod. I've become quite engrossed in this since I discovered it in June.

On the subject of community content, here's a modified version of a little patch I created way back then- taking that nice third-person-player assault rifle and bringing it into the game with the ability to fire accurate, moderately-damaging semi-automatic shots at long range. It also modifies zombiemen so that they (slowly) fire repeatedly, adds a new kind of Marine bot (64MarineRifleBot) that utilizes and drops it, and even throws in a replacement for the chaingun guy (64RifleGuy), a zombie marine who rapidly fires the rifle the same way you do.

Credits go to Turbo and LemonWolf (for those rifle zombieman sprites and the ModDB page, if I interpreted things correctly), Footman for the zombie marine sprites, and Sergeant_Mark_IV (for the Brutal Doom 64 rifle sprites, in lieu of anything better).

Edited by Rifle Infantry : Updated patch to v2.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:00 PM, Rifle Infantry said:

Credits go to Turbo and LemonWolf (for those rifle zombieman sprites and the ModDB page, if I interpreted things correctly)

Yeah, Turbo drew the sprites back in 2011 I believe. I just converted them from a sprite sheet to separate images, fixed up the positioning, and packed it up in a WAD file.

On 8/21/2017 at 5:38 PM, Nevander said:
  • There's some kind of new zombieman enemy that has red pants and looks like he's meant to fire a chaingun or actual rifle. Same issue as the Nightmare Spectre, basically the same thing already?

Wait, you mean Footman's zombie marine (which was red and had the rifle)? Or is this just a zombieman that happens to be wearing red?

A kind of enemy that's halfway between chaingunner and zombieman (similar to the Wolfenstein SS) has always been an excellent choice when it comes to adding new monsters that don't seem unfair or generic, at least in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, Rifle Infantry said:

Wait, you mean Footman's zombie marine (which was red and had the rifle)? Or is this just a zombieman that happens to be wearing red?

It is a chaingunner enemy. It's just the zombie/shotguy sprites but with red pants and a red weapon flash and attacks the same way the chaingunners do.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

It is a chaingunner enemy. It's just the zombie/shotguy sprites but with red pants and a red weapon flash and attacks the same way the chaingunners do.

Huh.

Speaking of red-wearing rapid-firing undead menaces, here's a quick update to the rifle patch I posted, revamping the weapon as well as integrating a few new changes and two new monsters (will modify original patch post to clarify).

Finished Stepwalk and Portal. About to begin Darkened.

I started coming up with some ideas for one of the unfinished maps. One of them was basically an entire layout already made but all at the same height and only a player 1 start. This map will be called "Control" in the finished set. I will be using the light effect from Staging Area again since it's only used once in all the original Doom 64 maps. Control has a perfect place for it.

I still don't know when this huge update with new maps will be released. I hope at the end of October for a Halloween release but I might not make it in time even if I work through the next two months. I will probably finish the normal Outcast maps in the next couple weeks and The Reckoning probably won't take too long, however Redemption Denied is going to be interesting. The layouts are HUGE and each map is at or around 1 MB in UDMF with a ton of microdetail. I think that was one complaint I saw for the original mapset, they were too complex and hard to navigate. Maybe I can improve this if I notice it to be too bad.

I've been playing through this these past couple of days. Easily the best Doom 64 to GZDoom port yet. Been having a wonderful time.

Any screenshots from the Absolution levels?

9 hours ago, Gideon020 said:

Huh, this might be my speed. Definitely will give it a go.

Thanks. Be sure to check back in a couple months because (if all goes as planned) there will be 33 more maps to play.

7 hours ago, Prologue-9 said:

I've been playing through this these past couple of days. Easily the best Doom 64 to GZDoom port yet. Been having a wonderful time.

Any screenshots from the Absolution levels?

Thanks! I can post some up tomorrow perhaps. I am done with those for the most part, working on Outcast now, about halfway done.

7 hours ago, Anidrex_1009 said:

Such an amazing mod, thats one of the best trailers I had ever seen. 10/10 

Thanks, I found the music first and then the trailer idea just came to me. Had to put them together and the launch trailer for 1.0 was the perfect time to use it. I am hoping to do a trailer for 1.4 and also for the Retribution episode whenever that finally gets done.

So I'm late to the party, but I have to post in order to advocate complete and accurate porting of all the new monsters and items from Outcast Levels.  Sounds like that's what we're getting, but I just wanted to speak in support of it regardless.  I was so impressed by Kaiser's work, and the fact that he had already added monsters and levels to Absolution, and then Outcast seemed like a natural evolution of the game.  It was certainly better than the way Id built Doom 3 from scratch.

I'd also like to be able to use them in custom wads/mods, perhaps alongside the new stuff from BD64 (say what you want about it, I just pick out what I like and mix it with details from every other mod in existence).  The Outcast stuff is good enough to add a new wrinkle to the game balance without being ridiculous, and allows mappers to set up new scenarios that take advantage of what the new monsters do.  Plus, those Hell potions are pretty cool, even if they are just red health potions with a slightly different effect.

I hope this is still on track and I look forward to its release!

Some info and what I plan to do going forward for the next 3 updates to the mod:

The next update (1.4) will be the Absolution exclusives and the Outcast Levels + the three unfinished ones turned into finished maps. Right now that is the last thing to do and the maps will be ready. The update after that (1.5) will hopefully be Redemption Denied and The Reckoning. After that the Retributon episode gets the full attention and that will be 1.6.

Current planned release for 1.4 is October 31st this year, for 1.5 I'd love to release on Christmas. Then 1.6, I don't know. It's weird to think it might end up being a full year since I released the TC and the bonus episode takes a year to do. Although if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes I'm afraid. I do still have awesome plans and come up with new ideas and things I want to do every day. I want every level of Retribution to be unique, have something different about it and really feel fresh every level.

I have moved the brightmaps out of the main WAD and will include them as a separate PK3, hopefully with even more done and added. The point of this was to organize them into a single file and PK3 is a lot better for doing brightmaps. This also gives the user a choice to use them or not. I don't think brightmaps can be turned off in the options like dynamic lights can.

Some new options are added like being able to disable the titlemap sequence from playing and instead will just go to a menu screen. More info to come maybe, or the next update in here might be the 1.4 release if nothing else comes to mind.

New monsters should be specific to the levels that use them. Keepin' it as faithful as possible where needed. Hell, someone already made an addon for Doom 64 Retribution with the new monsters, so I'd say the main job now is just to incorporate the DECORATE code (with minor tweaks where needed) and sprites from that WAD.

And hooray, it's about two weeks until October 31st :D

10 hours ago, UAC-Janitor said:

Sooo, new monsters bro?

As of the current state of the mod, I have not added or included the new monsters and items added by the TC and Outcast Levels. The reasons for not doing so were noted on the previous pages but in a nutshell (kind of an opinion but bear with me) I don't see them as a necessary addition to the overall scope of my project. Most of the things are either redundant, useless, or annoying. No offense to the original creators of course. Everything I removed has an appropriate substitute in place.

Now this is not 100% definite forever. I did say previously that I would still like to recreate all this stuff for use in my TC but right now is not the proper time. I want to focus on map content first. Get all of that done and get the vanilla Doom 64 experience brought up even more with all the new mapsets that were made for the old TC, not to mention my own I've yet to complete.

There is one exception... at the end of Nebula I noticed the Abs TC somehow made some Hell Knights translucent like they were Nightmare Hell Knights. Originally I was going to ignore it and use regular Hell Knights but I saw it as an opportunity to add a new simple monster that required no new resources.

And so, I made them into "Shadow Knights;" an intermediate enemy between Hell Knights and Barons. They are rendered subtractively with low alpha and throw subtractive fireballs. They do not bleed and they are basically ghost enemies. They still die like normal though but you have to be careful fighting them because they hit as hard as a Hell Knight or Baron would. They also fade away upon death, thought that would be a nice touch. They will make their debut here in Outcast's last map and I do plan to use them in Retribution if people don't find them annoying like I find the Outcast monsters to be. I quite like them, let's hope you guys do too.

However the most important note of all is what Voros said...

7 hours ago, Voros said:

New monsters should be specific to the levels that use them. Keepin' it as faithful as possible where needed.

Exactly. I do NOT plan to EVER use new items or things in maps where they do not belong. You will never see an Outcast enemy in a standard Doom 64 map unless you force it somehow by summoning them or running an addon that replaces the normal enemies with them.

This was one idea I had for implementing the new stuff. I might still create an addon that acts as a mutator to spawn the new stuff in with the old. Completely optional of course.

I am almost done with one of the Outcast's unfinished maps which I am naming "Control." The premise of the map is to work though security checkpoints to reach the path towards the next unfinished map, Forge. From there you end up at Portal (a normal map). This means that Control is a little linear, but its made up for by having tons of epic shit in it.

I've really made some interesting stuff. There's a 3D bridge that raises to form a walkway, there's a detector thing you walk through to check the player for security clearance (which one can gain from a full body scanner after attempting to cross it), there's a puzzle similar to Holding Area (four switches, although you get infinite attempts here since it's required for progression), and more to come. I haven't added much new geometry to this level because frankly the entire layout was there already from what I could tell.

Kaiser must have had ideas for that one because the layout was pretty fleshed out, just never finished. I'd love to see what @Kaiser thinks of these maps that never got finished when they get finished. Maybe I will post some screenshots and see if he recognizes the layout.

Perhaps you should show him the completed version, or perhaps this compilation itself on public release.

I'm sure it will make his day. He's working really hard for Nightdive Studios right now on various projects.