Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

2 hours ago, Thenuke said:

I noticed a bug in the script at the end of DOOM 64 Museum map.

It's supposed to dispose of the Unmaker upgrades but instead but it doesn't.

I'm using GZDOOM v3.2.5.

Was reported on the ZDoom thread, going to check it out and figure out what's going on. It worked when I tested it so maybe it's one of those things that works in older GZDoom but not anymore?

7 minutes ago, GuyNamedErick said:

However, it appears that the DOOM 64 Features Menu is still not showing up in the Options Menu, I checked the MENUDEF file and the Features Menu has not been changed to use AddOptionMenu. I'll paste the code (again?) to show where I changed it, though of course it is easy for anyone to go use a utility such as SLADE to make this change.

Yea, I'm in a bit of a pickle because GZDoom versions past 2.2.0 don't play nicely on my computer and of course that's before the MENUDEF redo. I'm going to have to fix it for release, then unfix it for myself on my personal version of the mod that I will play with.

Might I suggest in your next update to add the option toggle to your features menu to mix the Absolution maps to the main campaign in the original order of the Absolution TC progression? I don't know if this was suggested before.

Excerpt from Doom Wiki Doom 64 TC:

"Doom 64 TC: Absolution provides the 32 original levels of Doom 64 for Nintendo 64 (copied as well as possible, but with small differences), although in a slightly different order, and with four additional levels during the gameplay — as well as two demo levels in a short circle:

MAP01: Staging Area

MAP02: The Terraformer

MAP03: Main Engineering

MAP04: Holding Area

MAP05: Tech Center

MAP06: Alpha Quadrant

MAP07: Nukage Facility

MAP08: Research Lab

MAP09: Outpost Omega

MAP10: Final Outpost

MAP11: Even Simpler

MAP12: The Bleeding

MAP13: Terror Core

MAP14: Dark Citadel

MAP15: Altar of Pain

MAP16: Eye of the Storm

MAP17: Dark Entires

MAP18: Blood Keep

MAP19: Watch Your Step

MAP20: Spawned Fear

MAP21: The Spiral

MAP22: Breakdown

MAP23: Pitfalls

MAP24: Burnt Offerings

MAP25: Unholy Temple

MAP26: No Escape

MAP27: Forbidden Deeper

MAP28: Shadows Watching

MAP29: The Lair

MAP30: The Absolution

MAP31: In The Void

MAP32: Cat And Mouse

MAP33: Playground

MAP34: Crisis

MAP35: Hardcore

MAP38: Hectic

MAP36: Doom64 Museum

MAP37: Death Labs

MAP36: Doom64 Museum and MAP37: Death Labs are a kind of tiny episode, accessible via the "PLAY DEMO MAP" menu entry."

I assume you have seen Dr.Psypy's excellent reimagining of the Revenant for Doom 64. Are you two collaborating to bring the full Doom 2 bestiary to Retribution?

28 minutes ago, Houndoom said:

Might I suggest in your next update to add the option toggle to your features menu to mix the Absolution maps to the main campaign in the original order of the Absolution TC progression? I don't know if this was suggested before.

Yea I have thought of it, but I don't think you can do that with an option toggle or any kind of setting. You'd need to load a replacement MAPINFO file to re-order them.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

I assume you have seen Dr.Psypy's excellent reimagining of the Revenant for Doom 64. Are you two collaborating to bring the full Doom 2 bestiary to Retribution?

Collaborating? No, not that I know of... but I would love to add it to my mod when it's finished so mappers can have a Doom 64 Revenant to use. Hell, I might use it the Retribution maps if it gets finished before I finish the maps.

Just now, Nevander said:

Collaborating? No, not that I know of... but I would love to add it to my mod when it's finished so mappers can have a Doom 64 Revenant to use. Hell, I might use it the Retribution maps if it gets finished before I finish the maps.

I'd like to get a look at that, haven't heard of anyone taking something like that on. Link?

Been playing through the Absolution levels, a fascinating set - think I'm on the second-to-last map of it. Had a really interesting blend of Doom 1 action mixed with D64's style with the techbase maps - I liked it. Glad these mapsets are being preserved, it feels so good playing new Doom 64 stuff.

2 hours ago, Houndoom said:

With permission from Nevander, I was going to release a addon that does this.

3 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

I'm going to attempt to make a Doom 64 Style arch-vile, I have not started yet though.

Edited by V0idH0und

Having never played the original Doom 64 TC, I find it quite interesting that Kaiser decided to make additional levels. I played only the first Absolution level so far, but they already seem much harder than official Doom 64 maps, which is good, although as mentioned above, they were meant to be part of the main campaign. Still cool, nonetheless!

In any case, thank you, Nevander, for porting them to Retribution!

2 hours ago, V0idH0und said:

I'm going to attempt to make a Doom 64 Style arch-vile, I have not started yet though.

Wait, are you and Dr.Psypy the same person?

23 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Having never played the original Doom 64 TC, I find it quite interesting that Kaiser decided to make additional levels. I played only the first Absolution level so far, but they already seem much harder than official Doom 64 maps, which is good, although as mentioned above, they were meant to be part of the main campaign. Still cool, nonetheless!

In any case, thank you, Nevander, for porting them to Retribution!

Wait, are you and Dr.Psypy the same person?

No, we are not. although I do have a V0idH0und Zdoom account, I never get on it though.

Edited by V0idH0und

Ok guys I might put out a hotfix version to address some major issues breaking compatibility with things, and fix the features menu. Stay tuned for 1.4a.

Ah, damn you! So soon already? Now, I have to start all over again! XD

Joking aside, I have been thinking about this: since your project seems well on its way to become the go-to Doom 64 port, would it not make sense to rename it to "The Ultimate Doom 64"? Just a thought.

5 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

would it not make sense to rename it to "The Ultimate Doom 64"? Just a thought.

I was thinking about a name change for a while but by now everyone knows the project by that name, so I think I will keep it as Retribution so I don't confuse everyone.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

I was thinking about a name change for a while but by now everyone knows the project by that name, so I think I will keep it as Retribution so I don't confuse everyone.

The Ultimate Doom 64 doesn't roll off the the tongue as easily. Perhaps it would be better for a greater edition down the line when you go beyond the scope of the original ideas here. Just played through some of the new maps and I have to say Derelict and Forge are my favorites. I like Control too for it's unique bio scanner gimmick. Almost like a homage for Doom 3's Mars city intro map.

Edited by Houndoom

3 hours ago, Houndoom said:

The Ultimate Doom 64 doesn't roll off the the tongue as easily.

Neither does Doom 64: Retribution, though. I dunno, I just thought of "Ultimate Doom 64" because of the additional episodes and improvements reminded me of what Id Software did for the original Doom.

But as Nevander said, it might be too late to rename the TC anyway.

No matter which Sector Light Mode I set during the play, it will set to "Dark" every time a map is loaded (including after player's death). Is this a bug or a feature? (I know it was mentioned in the ReadMe that "Dark" is the default value; not sure if this is true about that situation).

It's designed to set the light mode to Dark upon a map being loaded. Dying also causes a re-load of the map, unless you resurrect. You can change the light mode in-game, but you need to do it for each level. I forced it to Dark because that's the light mode I use to develop with and what I use to get the lighting just right close enough but not perfect.

Edited by Nevander

This looks and plays so awesome!

But how do I enable brightmaps? I do load the brightmaps wad after the main wad. Do I need to enable some GZDoom option?

I moved them out of the main mod so that the user gets the option to use them or not. Loading them is as simple as loading the PK3 after the main WAD. They should work without any option changes.

I thought the Demons' eyes would be bright? Hmm, I guess it's for switch etc and I didn't play long enough to notice them, just ran through the first map quickly. So maybe they are working.

IT LOOKS SO GOOD, especially with the bloom/glow and ambient occlusion (I think is called) of GZDoom. Especially the shotgun's muzzle flash and it's recoil effect, mmmhh mmhh finger licking good!

Please keep up the good work!

5 hours ago, VGA said:

I thought the Demons' eyes would be bright? Hmm, I guess it's for switch etc and I didn't play long enough to notice them, just ran through the first map quickly. So maybe they are working.

Brightmaps are not complete. Although I am not sure if I will brightmap their eyes because eyes don't constantly glow in reality.

Can you brightmap their eyes only when they get aggroed and for a few frames? So that if you walk in a dark room the eyes glow as they growl and start chasing you. But yeah, constantly glowing would be too much, at least for the enemies you see all the time.

I copied the DOOMSND.SF2 into the /soundfonts folder of GZDoom and selected Fluidsynth in the options but how do I select the correct soundfont? I am guessing it is still using the default that came with GZDoom (3.2.1 by the way)

In the Sound Advanced Options I can't see a way to set the soundfont...

Also @Nevander are you working on a new version?

Fastest way is to just type "fluid_patchset soundfonts/DOOMSND.SF2" in console and press enter. You may have to do snd_reset after.

And yes, am working on 1.5 furiously. Currently converting and remaking the Redemption Denied expansion from the original Absolution TC.

Now that PBR has been added to gzdoom, are you going to update the assets to improve the graphics even more? Unlike the original Doom's sprites I think the more realistic Doom 64 sprites would look less out of place with HD PBR visuals.