Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

I'm still going through them for additional polish. Then I need to make more adjustments and tweaks to the monsters and stuff to get them working the best they can. After that I need to do extensive playtesting from map to map together as a finished product to weed out any more obvious problems. The plan is still for the original release date.

Not at this time, no. I'd probably prefer to release to everyone at the same time and have the community as a whole be able to help resolve any problems it has over time. You can be sure the first release will be perfectly playable as is (at least in single player, co-op I'm sure will have some bugs). Obviously not perfect, but good enough as a first release.

I have just completed going through all the maps a second time for polish and such. Now I am moving on to getting weapon, monster, and item behavior polished up. Then, since I have extra time, will begin the new episode's maps. I might be able to finish them all before release and actually have the new episode ready for version 1's release. Nine maps in a little under two months? I can at least make a dent anyway.

Or you can turn it into a community project and make a call for mappers!

I do not know just how busy jazzmaster is right now, but it would be cool if they could contribute to the new episode, given their experience designing PSX Doom/Doom 64-like mapsets.

Yes, the new episode I am making was something I myself was also going to do.

However, don't let that discourage anyone else. It's actually my hope and expectation for others to make their own PWAD episodes for this (just don't use clearepisodes). They will be added to the list of episodes when starting a new game and we can end up with a ton of new content from user made episodes.

So come release, I'd love to see some new episodes being made once the resources are available.

I've got a stupid question because I'm confused:
Can I run this in GZDoom 1.8.6?

It should at least run in 1.8.6, but it's being designed and tested on 2.2.0

Some things will not work properly though, such as:

- Sectors with multiple tags, only the first tag gets used on older versions. To counter this, I am making sure that the more important action is the first tag. So for example you'd get stairs rising but no flashing lights. On newer versions you'll get both as you should.

- Pixelratio MAPINFO property. Not sure what version added support for this property, but I know that 2.0.05 does not support it, and so older versions will not either. This doesn't affect gameplay and it still runs fine.

There may be more, but I know of these two.

Once I add proper Doom 64 lighting to all maps, they will then require 2.4.0 or whatever official release version includes it. The first release of this however will be compatible with these older versions (I hope).

Once I am finished with everything, I will find the minimum version requirement and post it on the OP. I am pretty sure it will run with 1.8.6 though for now.

Nevander said:

It should at least run in 1.8.6, but it's being designed and tested on 2.2.0

Some things will not work properly though, such as:

- Sectors with multiple tags, only the first tag gets used on older versions. To counter this, I am making sure that the more important action is the first tag. So for example you'd get stairs rising but no flashing lights. On newer versions you'll get both as you should.

- Pixelratio MAPINFO property. Not sure what version added support for this property, but I know that 2.0.05 does not support it, and so older versions will not either. This doesn't affect gameplay and it still runs fine.

There may be more, but I know of these two.

Once I add proper Doom 64 lighting to all maps, they will then require 2.4.0 or whatever official release version includes it. The first release of this however will be compatible with these older versions (I hope).

Once I am finished with everything, I will find the minimum version requirement and post it on the OP. I am pretty sure it will run with 1.8.6 though for now.

I'm using GZDoom 1.9.1 cuz the newer versions broke something that prevents me from running Doom PSX TC Lost Levels and that's a no-no for me unless it gets fixed in a future version. I loved what I saw in the gameplay. That's one of my favorite levels, although I saw something that I think needs adjustment and that's the flash thunder produces in the level. I noticed even shotguns produce more flash than thunder itself through the level. The sky is awesome, way better than the original, but more flash in that thunder can enhance the already enhanced atmosphere in my opinion. If the D64 proper lightning can fix this or if YouTube compression is to blame, ignore my suggestion.

Nrg01 said:

I saw something that I think needs adjustment and that's the flash thunder produces in the level. I noticed even shotguns produce more flash than thunder itself through the level. The sky is awesome, way better than the original, but more flash in that thunder can enhance the already enhanced atmosphere in my opinion. If the D64 proper lightning can fix this or if YouTube compression is to blame, ignore my suggestion.

This is most likely because of the way Lightning works. The light level changes from 200-231 and since 255 is the highest it never looks very bright. I'm not sure if I can change this or make the entire level flash at 255 but what I might could do is change the light level inside the skybox and then change it back after the lightning effect happens to make the effect more obvious. I'll try some things.

I'll take that as a maybe Nevander. Can't wait for this and the Doom 64 for Doom 2 project (hopefully that'll run on older versions).

Just a suggestion, but the SSG muzzle flash looks weak. How about increasing the size a bit?

I just now added the death messages when you die and wait a bit. Added a few new ones too.

MinerOfWorlds said:

Why not test it on 2.3.2?

When I started the project 2.2.0 was the newest version, so I just stuck with using that. What works in 2.2.0 should work in newer versions, and so far I haven't needed any features from 2.3.2+

...that is until I update all the maps with gradient lighting, which will need 2.4.0

Voros said:

I'll take that as a maybe Nevander. Can't wait for this and the Doom 64 for Doom 2 project (hopefully that'll run on older versions).

Just a suggestion, but the SSG muzzle flash looks weak. How about increasing the size a bit?

Doom 64 for Doom 2 is a vanilla project, so it should run on anything. The only reason this or other mods don't work on older versions is because of DECORATE, ACS and sometimes UDMF features. Those require certain pieces of code to be present in the engine, which of course means if it's not there then it won't work.

And about the SSG, that's the original flash from Doom 64. It's not edited to be smaller. Unless you meant that it should be bigger in general...

Little update. I've been focusing on improving the modern animations (or smooth animations if you will) and have made the following adjustments:

- Chaingun will now spin down after being fired (like Brutal Doom 64's Minigun)
- Shotgun and Super Shotgun completely remade using better and smoother sprites from Almonds
- Shell and bullet casings can be toggled for the modern animations just like Smooth Doom
- Smooth BFG animations added also from Almonds
- Smoother muzzleflashes added to Pistol, Shotgun, Super Shotgun, and BFG (I may add some back to the Plasma Rifle)
- Smoother punch animation
- Some other stuff I can't remember

None of this will affect the classic original animations however, if you want to play with the good ol' classic Doom 64 animations you can.

Nevander said:

None of this will affect the classic original animations however, if you want to play with the good ol' classic Doom 64 animations you can.

Are the classic ones smooth or are they just like the original sprites?

MinerOfWorlds said:

Are the classic ones smooth or are they just like the original sprites?

They are made to be just like the original animations from the N64 or EX.

I've now finished all the weapon animations and have both modern and classic versions of them all working, and I've also decided to allow you to use the drop casings option with the classic animations as well. Originally I was only going to allow them to be enabled while the modern animations are in use because it wouldn't make sense for two shells to pop out of a Super Shotgun without it even being opened, but decided it would be best to let you use them interchangeably. That and there's something oddly satisfying about shell and bullet casings no matter the animation, and it's kinda hilarious seeing shells pop out of the shotgun like that. Nothing wrong with choices.

So the next step now is playtesting the whole mapset in sequence. Then I need to merge all the files together and start testing a full build.

I will also fix up the texture pack, because right now some of the Doom 64 "mirrored" textures are actually physically patched up into a single image file instead of being recreated using TEXTURES. All of the textures I had to add for the maps were done with TEXTURES, so it feels weird having some be like that while others are not. I'd imagine using TEXTURES to create them from multiple patches would cost more performance versus a single image as the only patch, but it's probably not even noticeable since there's only ever 2-4 patches at a time. Need some clarification on that.

Most impressive. The videos look great. I just keep wondering how this would be if all the maps were merged into one huge hub type map similar to Doomone and Memorial. It makes the game so more progressive without the level transition gaps.

Great job.

Valken said:

Most impressive. The videos look great. I just keep wondering how this would be if all the maps were merged into one huge hub type map similar to Doomone and Memorial. It makes the game so more progressive without the level transition gaps.

Great job.

This thought had crossed my mind, but there's no way in the world I'd do it the way Memorial did. Each map has an average of 40 tags and 20 scripts, that would be the biggest PITA of all existence.

A better solution (and something I might do) would be to edit the MAPINFO with a patch WAD and set all the maps to not have an intermission sequence and change certain next map properties for some maps.

The only problem with that is I have a FadeTo effect between maps (which you can see at the end of that gameplay video) and that will always happen, so even with the MAPINFO changes you'd get some sort of transition effect regardless. At least the intermission itself wouldn't be there.

Thanks by the way, I can't wait for all you guys to be able to play and enjoy this. I make another improvement every day that I work on it.

Okay guys! We are in business.

Just put everything together and I have a playable, finished state of the TC. Everything works for me perfectly in 2.0.05. I haven't gotten to testing 1.8.6 but I hope to do it later today. There are a couple very minor issues which I can't fix no matter what I do, which will be described in the readme file.

The final size of the mod by itself uncompressed is a mere 35 MB. If you add the Doom 64 soundfont (which is required for MIDI playback, and is also how I was able to save so much space) the final size together once again uncompressed comes to 40.3 MB!

Haven't zipped it yet to see the compressed size since I am holding off for last minute adjustments.

I hope to make a launch trailer of sorts and have it ready by release.

On 2/7/2017 at 8:23 PM, Voros said:

Can I run this in GZDoom 1.8.6?

Guess what? :D

Sorry for double post but I have just tested the mod on GZDoom version 1.8.6 (as many have expressed they can't use the 2.x branch) and it runs pretty much perfectly. There was only one thing that prevented it from running, and that was a stupid flag on the Cacodemon and Pain Elemental called +DONTTHRUST. Apparently it doesn't get ignored like the Skulltag +CLIENTSIDEONLY does and stops execution. It wasn't critical to have that flag, so I've removed it to maintain 1.8.6 compat.

I played a little bit on each map just randomly doing things and I didn't find a single bug that just immediately stood out. All the guns work, everything in the maps looks just as they did in 2.0.05. If there are bugs in that version, you can report them as usual when release comes. Although, I can't guarantee that I will make a major effort to keep the mod bug free in old versions, because there will undoubtedly be some bugs that would ruin something in new versions to get it right in the old ones. But, the mod runs and can be played. That's what matters most for release.

Gotta say, playing it for a while in the default resolution of 640x480 felt pretty damn good. It as if I had my N64 hooked up to my monitor and somehow was able to play Doom 64 with 60 FPS. I highly recommend trying that out when you get to play it, sort of a "nintendo" mode. Set all the graphics settings to the look that would resemble the N64's graphics, and maybe even set resolution to 320x240 like the original. I think you can only set it that low through the INI though.

Version 1.0 of the total conversion is released! Have fun guys.

Please report any bugs here or on ModDB, I will be adding a bug reporting template to make it easier in a little while.

Not a big problem, but: Outpost Omega differences

2nd problem: Fluidsynth/soundfont doesn't want to work for me (Failed to load any midi patches, Could not load...)

And a question: If I use QZDoom, this affect something in the gameplay?

Whoops, looks like I maybe mixed up those difficulty flags. I'll check it out. Thanks for reporting it!

The fluidsynth DLL may be the problem, there are more than one DLL for it floating around so you may have to try another. The one I included works in GZDoom 1.8.6 through to 2.2.0, I haven't tried it in anything higher than 2.2.0. There was another DLL called just "fluidsynth.dll" but it never worked for me. This one called "libfluidsynth.dll" does, so it's the one I used. Maybe my computer is weird and only that one works.

EDIT: You can get the other DLLs here https://zdoom.org/wiki/FluidSynth

As for QZDoom compat, I have no idea. Never used it before.

Edited by Nevander

Must. Download. Fast.

As for QZDoom, I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's a fork of GZDoom with a true-color software renderer.