Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

Playing this for celebrating Doom 64's anniversary :D

But something is really off with the death frames of monsters. They are all too "squished" (small width). Were they changed to cope with aspect ratio? I seem to remember that Doom does something to it's sprites in game.

Yep, I think because QZDoom is truecolor software renderer, the OpenGL things won't work. This includes fog and the wall with the HOM you see in that screenshot. In OpenGL mode it looks perfect.

7 hours ago, Voros said:

But something is really off with the death frames of monsters. They are all too "squished" (small width). Were they changed to cope with aspect ratio? I seem to remember that Doom does something to it's sprites in game.

Some of them had their offsets adjusted, but that wouldn't squish them. Maybe a side effect of the pixelratio property? Which monsters?

I really dig this! The toggleable weapon styles are a really nice touch. Reminds me that I need to implement that Doom64 shit in Smooth Doom.

4 hours ago, Nevander said:

Which monsters?

From what I played so far, zombies, imps and hell knights. Maybe the mancubus and arachnotron too, but they don't look that bad.

Hey, so this is pretty sweet, however I ran into the fluidsynth problem, too. It turns out, the version packed into your folder isn't the 64 bit version. So if anyone is having problems running this awesome wad with it's glorious music, just check out the fluid synth page on the zdoom wiki and download the 64 bit version.

Just started playing throught it, I noticed right of the bat is that the Lifts have wrong timing.

The reverse delay for Lifts in vanilla Doom (which is the same in Doom 64) is 105.

And just in case, the doors have a delay of 150.

Also i think Classic weapon animations mode should have the original weapon switch speed.

Edited by jazzmaster9

On my computer, using the fully upgraded Unmaker in map33 causes extreme lag. Any suggestions on how to get a framerate higher than 3fps when its in use in that level, and possibly other levels as well?

Oh wow. Ohhhh wow.

This may be one of my favorite GZDoom mods ever (even though it's really an accurate recreation of an already existing game).

19 hours ago, Lo_Mein said:

Hey, so this is pretty sweet, however I ran into the fluidsynth problem, too. It turns out, the version packed into your folder isn't the 64 bit version. So if anyone is having problems running this awesome wad with it's glorious music, just check out the fluid synth page on the zdoom wiki and download the 64 bit version.

Yes, in the next update I will include both 32 and 64-bit DLLs and make it clear that you'll need one or the other. Personally I never use 64-bit GZDoom because somehow I get better performance from the 32-bit, so I only needed the 32-bit DLL. I imagine there's still quite a few people on 32-bit OSs as well.

8 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Just started playing throught it, I noticed right of the bat is that the Lifts have wrong timing.

The reverse delay for Lifts in vanilla Doom (which is the same in Doom 64) is 105.

And just in case, the doors have a delay of 150.

Also i think Classic weapon animations mode should have the original weapon switch speed.

Some lifts may have been adjusted to make them less annoying. Personally I can't stand slow lifts that wait for a solid few seconds before reversing. I had kept the switch speeds fast for both classic and modern because the normal switch speeds just feel so clunky these days. It worked back when everything else was at the same speed/FPS/ticrate but with rendering interpolation and whatever else, the slow switch speeds feels like an unnecessary slowdown to the gameplay. It wouldn't be hard to change that with a small patch wad though, or another option although harder would be to create another CVAR to choose fast or slow.

1 hour ago, Danfun64 said:

On my computer, using the fully upgraded Unmaker in map33 causes extreme lag. Any suggestions on how to get a framerate higher than 3fps when its in use in that level, and possibly other levels as well?

What are your specs? Because either your PC is really old or you are on a cheap system or possibly integrated graphics, maybe a laptop? I get solid 60 FPS firing it everywhere on MAP33 just as you say.

8 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

Really? That level ran smooth as butter on my phone, and it's crappy phone.

=====

I'd like the time to say this. On map08, there is a teleporter next to the blue door. Strangely, after going through the map, when I teleport back onto that teleporter pad, I find myself in a pit with HOMs on the walls. IDCLIPing, it seems, apparently, the floor lowered or something (can't say for sure unless I can view the map on something like DB2).

I'm betting that this is the pit where the walls have the textures that says "I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS" and also that this pit here is where I stopped my playthrough of Doom 64 few years back. I mentioned this before on the forums, that I found myself in an inescapable pit once with "I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS" textured on the pit walls, even though it seems no one encountered this.

My guts say that this is the exact same pit.

2 hours ago, Voros said:

On map08, there is a teleporter next to the blue door. Strangely, after going through the map, when I teleport back onto that teleporter pad, I find myself in a pit with HOMs on the walls. IDCLIPing, it seems, apparently, the floor lowered or something (can't say for sure unless I can view the map on something like DB2).

I'm betting that this is the pit where the walls have the textures that says "I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS" and also that this pit here is where I stopped my playthrough of Doom 64 few years back. I mentioned this before on the forums, that I found myself in an inescapable pit once with "I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS" textured on the pit walls, even though it seems no one encountered this.

My guts say that this is the exact same pit.

Hmm. Could you do me a favor and see if you can reproduce it? I probably ran the map dozes of times and never had it happen. In fact, everything that happens in any map should be very controlled and unable to break for the most part, but I will check it out as well.

By the way, I hope to put out a version 1.1 this coming Friday, one week after the release of 1.0.

I'll try, but are you planning on making minor edits that aren't in Doom 64? I found a secret on map03 (?) which apparently cannot be opened from the inside, hence I got stuck in it. I'll have take a look at which map and room it was.

Bug or not, it's a feature now, isn't it ;)

1 hour ago, Voros said:

I'll try, but are you planning on making minor edits that aren't in Doom 64? I found a secret on map03 (?) which apparently cannot be opened from the inside, hence I got stuck in it. I'll have take a look at which map and room it was.

Bug or not, it's a feature now, isn't it ;)

That is a bug and is already fixed for the 1.1 update. Probably the room that is opened from a switch across from the switch that spawns the red key. These types of spots are really easy to miss, since I often don't think about staying in a room like that after the door is shut.

This is really cool stuff, feels very polished! Had to do some minor straightforward tinkering to get it working on the Linux version of gzdoom, but it works great. Finally a version of Doom64 that works on a modern, well supported port without requiring its own engine.

What was that tinkering if I may ask? I can add that information to the instructions as a "if you are on Linux, you may have to do this" type of section.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

What was that tinkering if I may ask? I can add that information to the instructions as a "if you are on Linux, you may have to do this" type of section.

Well you don't really have a "gzdoom directory" in Linux. The binaries get installed somewhere in the system path, and the ini file is stored as ~/.config/gzdoom/gzdoom.ini

I didn't want to change my main ini file to use the doom64 soundfont, because that would suck when I'm playing regular doom, so I created a copy of the ini file, specifically for doom64 (I named it ~/.config/gzdoom/gzdoom_d64.ini), changed that config file to use fluidsynth and the doom64 soundfont and then launched gzdoom with the -config flag pointing to this config file.

Obviously the fluidsynth dll file that is included is windows specific too, but my distro's version of gzdoom got compiled with fluidsynth support anyway, so I didn't have to bother with that.

As I said, all pretty straightforward :)

I have a "gzdoom directory" in Linux. Then again I self compiled for that result. Basically, it all depends on how you set the game up.

I found the connection on the map08 pit thing.

In that room with the teleporter pad and blue door, is series of cramped hallways with Nightmare imps. At the end of it is a tiny chamber with a SSG. Enter this chamber, teleporter pad lowers, more nightmare imps spawn. The trigger line here must be reusuable, hence everytime you go into that small chamber, more nightmare imps spawn (again) and the pad lowers even further.

3 hours ago, Voros said:

In that room with the teleporter pad and blue door, is series of cramped hallways with Nightmare imps. At the end of it is a tiny chamber with a SSG. Enter this chamber, teleporter pad lowers, more nightmare imps spawn. The trigger line here must be reusuable, hence everytime you go into that small chamber, more nightmare imps spawn (again) and the pad lowers even further.

Ok, now I need to know what version of GZDoom you are using. I assume 1.8.6 since you were asking about it before.

Reason I ask is because in order to change the hallway and spawn Imps, I used a "sector action" thing, which means the action happens when you enter the sector. It's not tied to lines or picking up things. This was done so that the script will run even if you are full on shotgun ammo.

At this time it is a guess that somehow in 1.8.6 this action is able to run more than once, regardless of the sector action thing being set to "activate only once" in GZDB. Maybe older versions like that don't care or recognize the flag to only activate one time?

Either way, I know how I can fix it. I just need to create a new control variable to stop it from doing those actions over again. I had a look at the map too and couldn't figure out why it was happening because I can enter and exit the sector all day long in 2.2.0 and it never re-runs.

39 minutes ago, DoomKnight1984 said:

Just finished this today. I liked it overall.

Thanks, any suggestions for the 1.1 update?

46 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Thanks, any suggestions for the 1.1 update?

I think some of the folks here already mentioned some bugs like the secret on Map 03 and all that.

4 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

I have a "gzdoom directory" in Linux. Then again I self compiled for that result. Basically, it all depends on how you set the game up.

Yeah, you can set it up that way, but it's not how it comes configured by default. The lay of the land on Linux is that binaries go in /usr and user specific configuration goes in ~/.config/<something>/. If you follow the instructions on the zdoom site or install gzdoom through a package manager (I use the AUR package btw), that's how it is configured, so I imagine that's how most users will have it set up.

On 3/30/2017 at 8:12 AM, Nevander said:

Gotta say, playing it for a while in the default resolution of 640x480 felt pretty damn good. It as if I had my N64 hooked up to my monitor and somehow was able to play Doom 64 with 60 FPS. I highly recommend trying that out when you get to play it, sort of a "nintendo" mode. Set all the graphics settings to the look that would resemble the N64's graphics, and maybe even set resolution to 320x240 like the original. I think you can only set it that low through the INI though.

About that ... the Health and Armor graphics don't scale well if you set the resolution to 320x240.

HPrrbFX.png

On 4/1/2017 at 5:37 PM, Nevander said:

On 4/1/2017 at 4:01 PM, Danfun64 said:

What are your specs? Because either your PC is really old or you are on a cheap system or possibly integrated graphics, maybe a laptop? I get solid 60 FPS firing it everywhere on MAP33 just as you say.

On 4/1/2017 at 8:01 PM, Danfun64 said:

Yep, it's a laptop, and yes it's old. However, the laptop is a dual boot setup, with the Windows driver supporting more than the Linux driver. It shouldn't affect this lag though.

Here's an abridged look at my specs: https://paste.debian.net/hidden/d8df84df/

So...any suggestions on how to remove the lag when firing the unmaker?

It's kind of hard identifying what you were trying to do with this. As you previously mentioned, we have Doom 64 EX, GZDoom 64, Brutal Doom 64... What gap does this Doom 64 mod fill that the previous ones don't that hasn't already been done?

This really feels like a watered down Brutal Doom 64, to the enhanced weapon animations to the rebuilt sky boxes to the dynamic lights in the maps, and even then it still isn't accurate. I'm just kind of confused as to what you were trying to do here...