Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

I'll do ya one better.  Here's a wad with all the sprites, as well as a modified copy of your decorate file.  I added a second Unmaker to the weapons list that uses the unmaker ammo- this way existing maps don't break.  If/When beta64 gets ported to this, I definitely intend to do it this way... I'd do it with 64EX if I friggin could.

So if you import this into your TC, in doombuilder the "Unmaker2" is what uses the new ammo.

Alright, cool. Thank you, if I use them I will credit you and Midway for the sprite work and you for the DECORATE changes.

So I was tinkering some more, added an episode for B64, set up mapinfos and all that... Copy/pasted my sectors from DB64, and obviously some stuff is broken.  Linedefs all have to have their properties reset, for example.  Colors don't copy over, which is totally expected (though they DO sort of keep the original color data in the form of custom sector properties.  Problem is it's not in a format that GZDoom can read)

But the one thing I can't overcome- all of the ceilings have a very fast, diagonal scrolling on the textures.  Any insight as to why that is and how I can easily fix it?  Porting to your TC would be 1,000,000 times easier if I didn't have to manually redraw everything.

I wrote a porting guide that can be used to port maps from EX and from the Absolution TC. It explains step by step the method I used to prep maps for conversion. If you can wait until Oct 31st I will include the guide in with some other mapping files in a development folder.

Just wanted to send out an update here so anyone who follows the thread but not my twitter can be made aware that if all goes to plan and nothing major happens, the next update should be coming sometime on October 31st, probably in the evening hours (EST).

On 10/30/2018 at 8:10 AM, Nevander said:

Just wanted to send out an update here so anyone who follows the thread but not my twitter can be made aware that if all goes to plan and nothing major happens, the next update should be coming sometime on October 31st, probably in the evening hours (EST).

I finished the main part of Doom 64 Retribution and I thought this was a really excellent conversion of the Doom 64, gonna wait for the update before I play the other episodes :D

Version 1.5 is finally HERE. I don't have much to say, but thank you for the patience! I hope you guys have fun, and as usual, please let me know here of any bugs you encounter. I tested it pretty furiously so there shouldn't be, but it doesn't mean there isn't any. There was a bad bug, fixed now.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retribution/downloads/doom-64-retribution-version-151

Edited by Nevander

I just downloaded it and.......what in the world did you do to the music?

Like, I know what you were trying to do. You wanted more subtle horror ambience. But I am going to be honest here. The new music is terrible. As in, just legit awful. It's not even that good as a mere ambience, and it certainly doesn't hold a candle to the original music or let alone the remaster of it. In fact, I hate it so much that this alone is making me not want to play the mod.

I SERIOUSLY recommend you make it an option to play using the original music from the game.

EDIT: I see it's an add-on file. Thank god. Well your mod is great other than the new music.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

Umm... you have to use the right soundfont. I did nothing to the music. Please don't criticize me for changing arguably one of the most critical aspects without first reading the instructions. At the very least read it first if something is off.

1 minute ago, A_D_M_E_R_A_L said:

Oh boi, new version. Well, expect me doing the new Redemption Denied maps pretty soon.

Cool. Looking forward to it. By the way, I did not update the brightmaps as of yet. I was low on time and had to skip out for now. I didn't forget. They will be updated in 1.6 for sure, or I may upload it separate soon if not then.

8 minutes ago, Nevander said:

I did not update the brightmaps as of yet.

Yeah I noticed and 1 cool thing I really like is how you can see mapper's name when you enter any map.

gzdoom 3217.jpg

Just finished Redemption Denied for the first time. A cool challenge. Thank you again for this amazing mod. :)

Bug spotted: Imps and Nightmare Imps infight with each other. Same with Hell Knights and Barons.

I recently finished the new episode and the toughest map IMO is Map 1 cuz of NO ARMOR AT ALL.

Just now, A_D_M_E_R_A_L said:

Bug spotted: Imps and Nightmare Imps infight with each other. Same with Hell Knights and Barons.

I recently finished the new episode and the toughest map IMO is Map 1 cuz of NO ARMOR AT ALL.

Imps and Nightmare imps infighting is pretty cool actually. I suggest that they keep it that way.

That's not a bug, that's how they behave in D64. 

Quote from doomwiki.org :

"Hell knights and barons of Hell throw the same projectiles. Contrary to popular belief, this has nothing to do with the fact that Hell knights and barons do not infight with one another in the PC version of the game. Rather, there is a hard-coded exception for these two enemies which causes them to consider each other as belonging to the same species. This exception was overlooked when the Doom II source code was combined with the Atari Jaguar code base to create the Sony PlayStation port of Doom II, and as a result, barons and knights infight in both that game and its offspring, Doom 64. "

As I did with the Outcast Levels, I'm comparing these maps to the originals as I go along, and I must say you've improved notably on it, especially with the elevator ride between the second and third maps.

Spoiler

Do you know how I'm supposed to get the secret soul sphere in the original version of map04? In your version, you lowered a panel that had to be attacked as part of the puzzle, but it's too high in the original. Do you think it was made with freelook or jumping (the latter of which would require you to beat Hectic) in mind, or is there something else I'm missing?

1 minute ago, SiFi270 said:

As I did with the Outcast Levels, I'm comparing these maps to the originals as I go along, and I must say you've improved notably on it, especially with the elevator ride between the second and third maps.

Hide contents

Do you know how I'm supposed to get the secret soul sphere in the original version of map04? In your version, you lowered a panel that had to be attacked as part of the puzzle, but it's too high in the original. Do you think it was made with freelook or jumping (the latter of which would require you to beat Hectic) in mind, or is there something else I'm missing?

Spoiler

Yes. The originals were made with freelook in mind, I'm 99% sure. There are panels in some maps that are impossible to hit without it. In my versions, all puzzles and secrets can be done without freelook. Freelook still works fine, of course.

And thanks, I tried my damnest to really improve the maps because some areas really needed it IMO. I wanted clean, optimized maps to make them the best they've ever been. Some may not care because they are just extra levels, but I do.

No it's not.

*No it doesn't. alright suppressing my urge to grammar correct everything.

Zandronum isn't supported? That's a shame. As soon as I heard of this project, co-op Doom 64 was the thing that popped into my head since the original game wasn't co-op and neither was EX. But multiplayer in gzdoom has always been a bit too much of a hassle for me to bother with. 

1 hour ago, A_D_M_E_R_A_L said:

Map 1 is up and... I hate it because of no armor at all.

I actually added a green armor on Doomslayer because it was insanely hard without it. I can enable it in the other modes too if you think it needs it.

57 minutes ago, EtherBot said:

Zandronum isn't supported? That's a shame.

I wish I could support it. Zandronum is just too far behind GZDoom in the feature department, even lacking things that GZDoom 2.2.0 has which is ancient these days. If Zandronum gets updated again, it will probably work retroactively.