Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

There was an adjustment made to the attacks of certain monsters so that they don't aim at your legs and aim at chest height. If they are aiming too far up, there may have been a change in a later version of GZDoom with pitch calculation again. Try an older version, the older you go the less likely you are to hit bugs.

Good find. That could very well be the problem. Does D64RTR use A_CustomMissile or A_SpawnProjectile for enemy projectiles? It's interesting that affects only imps/nightmare imps/cyberdemon and not the other monsters with projectile attacks.

Edited by spamclark15

It uses A_CustomMissile because it's far more compatible with a wider range of GZDoom versions.

It doesn't affect the others because not all monster attacks needed pitch correction.

However now it appears due to the constant problems pitch seems to have in GZDoom, I'll need to remove the corrections in the next update to stay compatible with all current supported versions, which is 2.4.0 to present.

On 11/6/2018 at 6:46 PM, SFJake250 said:

-Multiple options have been added in the menu. HUD customization, and a few gameplay options such as separating Unmaker ammo into kill-based ammo, and a few coop options. All optional.

OMG THAT HUD IS SO BEAUTIFUL!

Dude, is there a chance that you could make a patch for us to use that exact same hud in classic Doom, with corresponding font style and everything?

I always wanted a simple custom hud that resembled the DOOM 2016 one but with classic style, changing only the positions (Armor above Health on the left, keys next to health & armor, Ammo on the right) but I could never find one until now.

So if you could port this HUD to use with the classic Doom iwads I would appreciate it sooo much, if it was for gzdoom it would be even better since my pc can't run opengl on zandronum for some reason but gzdoom works fine.

Thanks anyway :v

Oh, and Nevander, could you add an option in a future release to show the secret areas on the map? Just to make it consistent with the other games, optional of course :v

Loving this project so far, I cannot describe how hyped I am for the Retribution episode, been waiting for two years now :D
Keep up the amazing work!

Sorry for double posting, but does this happen to anyone else? Like the menu is not properly centered for me. My resolution is 1366x768.

retributionmenu.png

That's how it's supposed to look. It's the way GZDoom positions the things, all I did was replace graphics. I could try to center it more with offsets maybe.

Oh, i see. It still kinda hurts my brain lol.
Oh and I have another question.
Is there a way to enable the bloom effect in this mod?

Unless it was removed from GZDoom, you just enable it. However I don't think it applies to weapon flashes anymore sadly.

Overwhelming....

I finally finished the entire game, followed by those additional episodes (ABS/OUT/RDM) on "Watch Me Die". And I watched myself dying a lot. It took me almost three weeks, several gallons of sweat and tears and a fully filled swear jar to solve all maps without cheating. I can't believe how unnerving lost souls were during later missions. I hate them.

It was also great to enjoy the entire package on headphones as loud as possible, and of course, at midnights only.

That was a very intensive experience!  I died several times in "Breakdown" and I had to listen to that specific tune for nearly half an hour nonstop..... quite disturbing. Well done, Aubrey ! XD

All in all it's a very well done project, Nevander. 

I also liked the idea to revisit familiar places like in "Forge"- a reference to Hell Beneath. Special thanks to Kaiser for all his awesome maps.

Simply thanks to all who made Doom64 Retribution possible. 

9 minutes ago, 4everDoomed said:

I died several times in "Breakdown" and I had to listen to that specific tune for nearly half an hour nonstop..... quite disturbing. Well done, Aubrey ! XD

Arguably the creepiest song on the soundtrack.

3 hours ago, spamclark15 said:

The new GZDOOM 4.0.0 fixes the projectile issue that imps and cyberdemons had in the previous version.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll still do some investigations when I get back to work on the next version.

Okay. The following may be the silliest thing that I have ever done in the field of Doom modding. Let me explain myself.

When I see enemies in Doom (and in other shooters), I like to see them only as enemies. An enemy is an entity that is engaged in combat and is against you. Any other hint that the enemy can exist out of combat makes me uneasy. When I see such a hint, it makes me [over]think. I start to wonder if the observed thing should be studied instead of being exterminated.

To me, the most noticeable non-combat hint is on Doom 64 dead imp sprite. You may have seen this anatomical detail. In particular, it makes me think: "Wait, it has a digestive system? So, it must eat. Probably it's a carnivore. Can it eat non-meat food? Is it hungry? Maybe it's just hungry and not evil?" And so on, and so forth.

So, here is a patch (literally) that removes that anatomical detail.

Edited by m8f

40 minutes ago, m8f said:

Okay. The following may be the most silly thing that I have ever done in the field of Doom modding. Let me explain myself.

When I see enemies in Doom (and in other shooters), I like to see them only as enemies. An enemy is an entity that is engaged in combat and is against you. Any other hints that the enemy can exist out of combat makes me uneasy. When I see such a hint, it makes me [over]think. I start to wonder if the observed thing should be studied instead of being exterminated.

To me, the most noticeable non-combat hint is on Doom 64 dead imp sprite. You may have seen this anatomical detail. In particular, it makes me think: "Wait, it has a digestive system? So, it must eat. Probably it's a carnivore. Can it eat non-meat food? Is it hungry? Maybe it's just hungry and not evil?" And so on, and so forth.

So, here is a patch (literally) that removes that anatomical detail.

So in other words, you did this so that you wouldn't be wondering what you're doing with your life while looking at a dead Imp's asshole.

13 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

So in other words, you did this so that you wouldn't be wondering what you're doing with your life while looking at a dead Imp's asshole.

doom_txt we got a live one.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, Nevander said:

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll still do some investigations when I get back to work on the next version.

I've decided 4.0.0 and 4.1.0 I'm not going to go forward with as a feature was removed inexplicably that deals with the scaling of the UI. May I ask where in the mod files the corrections are set for the imp and cyberdemon projectiles? I would like to change them so I can go back to 3.7.2 and use the mod with it. Otherwise I would have to test older versions until I found the newest one that still runs it correctly as-is, but I'd rather have a newer release and fix it myself.

The attack codepointer in the Missile state has a pitch parameter. Take out that value so nothing is there and it should be good. Refer to the wiki on what parameters are what.

First off, I want to say good job! I used to use a Doom 64 texture pack, but the plasma gun and such did not animate properly. Nice attention to detail with everything here as the plasma gun feels and other things feel right! Also Brutal Doom 64 often doesn't play well some WADs as the frame rate tanks, this works fast with everything I have tried so far.

I have a question, which I may have missed on one of the pages, but I missed it. It seems like the Imp sprites (possibly others) for Doom 64 are taller than the original Doom ones. So when I play WADs like Eviternity (happens in level 1), Imps sometimes pierce through ceilings and get stuck. Is there a way to shrink the sprites to the original Doom heights?

Edit: I found this add-on for D64 Retribution which seems to answer my question: https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-64-retribution/addons/doom-64-retribution-project-void-v101

Edited by Immorpher

6 hours ago, Immorpher said:

Is there a way to shrink the sprites to the original Doom heights?

Yes, with a different mod called D64-WMI which Retribution was based on. It's only the weapons, monsters and items that are corectly scaled to classic Doom sizes.

Eventually I will create a new version of that using the Retribution versions of everything since there's been many additional tweaks since then.

Hey, y'all! Scott here!

I've taken up an interest lately in ZScriptifying some of the aspects of this project while also fixing up some of the stuff that's different from the original Doom 64 (recoil, Unmaker, timings, etc.). I figured I'd dip my toes in the water first and have uploaded an addon for it which can be grabbed here. It readjusts the Unmaker to get as close as possible to the original. Unfortunately the timings are impossible to port properly due to the difference in engine tic rate, but I believe all of the other gameplay aspects are emulated perfectly. I'm also crossing my fingers that it doesn't break anything because admittedly I haven't really tested it out in all the levels extensively.

The only known issue is that it can still be swapped to if your cell ammo is > 0, even if you can't fire it. A fix would require me to write a new base class that all the weapons use so for now I'm leaving it, but it could be easily fixed if all the weapons were ported over to ZScript (not sure how much time I'll have to do it, but I'm sure I'll get done eventually).

On 5/12/2019 at 8:47 AM, Boondorl said:

Hey, y'all! Scott here!

I've taken up an interest lately in ZScriptifying some of the aspects of this project while also fixing up some of the stuff that's different from the original Doom 64 (recoil, Unmaker, timings, etc.). I figured I'd dip my toes in the water first and have uploaded an addon for it which can be grabbed here. It readjusts the Unmaker to get as close as possible to the original. Unfortunately the timings are impossible to port properly due to the difference in engine tic rate, but I believe all of the other gameplay aspects are emulated perfectly. I'm also crossing my fingers that it doesn't break anything because admittedly I haven't really tested it out in all the levels extensively.

The only known issue is that it can still be swapped to if your cell ammo is > 0, even if you can't fire it. A fix would require me to write a new base class that all the weapons use so for now I'm leaving it, but it could be easily fixed if all the weapons were ported over to ZScript (not sure how much time I'll have to do it, but I'm sure I'll get done eventually).

Nice Unmaker you did, but it's RIP in frames to me when it's fully upgraded.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:09 AM, Nevander said:

The attack codepointer in the Missile state has a pitch parameter. Take out that value so nothing is there and it should be good. Refer to the wiki on what parameters are what.

TROO K 6 A_CustomMissile("64DoomImpBall", 64, 0, 0, CMF_OFFSETPITCH, 1)

Alright so the fix is to just go through DECORATE and find all instances of A_CustomMissile and change the lines if they contain CMF_OFFSETPITCH to only have the first 4 parameters like this:

TROO K 6 A_CustomMissile("64DoomImpBall", 64, 0, 0)

This change needs to be done if you're using a recent version of GZDOOM (but not version 4 or later which changes the behavior of A_CustomMissile yet again) as otherwise Imp and Cyberdemon projectiles will travel over your head if you're having this problem. I've uploaded the WAD with the change already made if anyone else has run into this.

D64RTR.7z

Edited by spamclark15

I've decided to make my own D64 weapon/monster/sprite replacer for vanilla WADs. I am experimenting with some neural upscaling as well. Is it alright if I use some of the assets in this pack (with proper credit of course) as a base?

Alright, I finally got around to cleaning up all the stuff I said I would. The addon I made is a huge overhaul to the game that fixes up almost all of the differences in terms of gameplay (well, at least it tries to). If you see anything you like, feel free to use it, Nev.

If you're interested in going retro with Retribution, you can check it out here.

I haven't posted around here in quite a while, but I've updated the Absolution file I posted almost 2 years ago. The new version contains numerous fixes, an updated version of Test Facility (matches v1.5 but supports the additional monsters), some small adjustments, and some pretty dynamic lights. All of the new monsters' projectiles now glow for that extra bit of eye candy.

You can pick up the updated version here. It should be autoload compatible, the only thing it replaces in base Retribution is MAP34 and the D64FADES library. Sorry if it invalidates your save files, but seeing as the new monsters are only accessible through summon commands and the MAP34 arena, you can just wait to finish your currently playthrough before loading it up.

At some point I will try my hand at porting the Acid Demon, and maybe the chaingun guy. (I think Nevander was going to add the chaingun guy himself?) I've also considered making an addon to replicate the experience of playing the TC by inserting the Absolution levels back into the map order and adding the new monsters into the levels, just so we can come full circle. If I do this, though, it won't be until after 64-style lighting is fully implemented in GZDoom. That way, I can do everything properly once as opposed to twice.

Still excited to see some new stuff when the project eventually updates. Best of luck with that, Nevander.