Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

I can't believe I never played this until now. I am currently catching up with the console conversions. Just finishing with the PSX Doom TC and this is next. I just checked the first maps, but it looks really well made.  And the best thing is you are not forced to use outdated binaries, it's an abomination. That's also why I prefer the older PSX TC over the newer GEC Edition (even though the latter is more faithful). 

Anyway, it's well done. Btw if you convert this from wad to pk3, you can save over 60% file size. I did a conversion for personal usage and it's amazing to see the size difference with zip compression.

2 hours ago, Nevander said:

That will be fixed in 1.6 when I can get back to it, but thanks for making a patch for the current version.

There was also another spot where warning appeared. In some cutscene intermission I think? You will probably find it immediately when you search for the name of that empty music lump.

Well, I couldn't find another instance of D_SILENT in any of the intermission maps. I can look again, but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything.

It was in one of the extra episodes, maybe Redemption Denied? In some cutscene the warning popped up.

Well, I checked again all the intermission maps. The titlemap is the only one that doesn't use music. Anyway, I will play through the entire thing now, then I'll see if there is another spot.

I finally got Discord and set up a server for the mod. I think someone set one up a long time ago but I felt it would be best to start one myself. There's a few channels and I'm very much a noob at Discord so forgive me if I do dumb things. The link can be found below or in the first post.

https://discord.gg/sxsrrPB

Sorry to bump this but i dont think it deserves a thread of its own: Which port is the best one to play it? I have never played it before, and i dont care about better visuals, should i get this one, EX, Absolution, or the new one?

@D88M3R Depends on your other preferences.

D64 EX stays true to the original with some additions such as uncapped 60 FPS (also in all other versions) and region changing (NTSC, PAL, and NTSC-J/Japanese).

Absolution is absolutely outdated and not recommended, but it has a few new maps (some of them also added to Retribution) as well as a few new monsters.

Retribution has all the original maps and some of the new Absolution maps, with improved weapon graphics.

The new port is the more advanced version of D64 EX, with a new episode.

32 minutes ago, D88M3R said:

Sorry to bump this but i dont think it deserves a thread of its own: Which port is the best one to play it? I have never played it before, and i dont care about better visuals, should i get this one, EX, Absolution, or the new one?

Retribution

• Play the best on the surface level.
  • Can run on most machines.
  • Include some good maps.
  • Supports GZDoom gameplay mods.
  • Come with GZDoom goodies (fps uncapping, being able to rebind controls).
  • Has some QOL improvements (interpolated weapon animations).
  • Is free.
  • No password support.
  • Fun levels are accessible since the beginning.

EX

• Play the most accurate to the original.
  • Performance issues on some machines.
  • Come with some good options like full mouselook, crosshairs. And of course rebinding controls.
  • No interpolated weapon/enemy animations.
  • Has a level editor.
  • Technically free but you need the ROM.
  • Has password support.

Absolution

• Basically EX (it's completely free, by the way), but worse in terms of overall accuracy and performance. Has some good custom, unofficial maps however.

EX Steam

• Play the most accurate to original.
  • Lacks some EX goodies (crosshair, full mouselook) due to dev time (I think). Keybinding may unstable at times.
  • Can be played at 60FPS.
  • Can run on potato machines.
  • Has a level editor.
  • Some issues (intro movies) are solvable.
  • Better password support.
  • Has achievements.
  • No interpolated weapon/enemy animations.
  • Has a new episode that links the classics and the reboots.
  • $5.

All with 60+ FPS / 1080p support afaik.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of mention of GEC GZDoom/DZDoom everywhere, which can play both PSX Doom and Doom 64 quite faithfully, but not perfect as the internal demos do desync in Version 2. It is based on an old version of GZDoom (1.9.0), so it should run fine on potatoes.

Until PsyDoom is ready enough for a stable version, it is currently the best way to experience PSX Doom on PC by a long shot, and the D64 part is not half bad either. Just make sure to edit the mapinfo and change the gravity back to 800 or 760 - it was accidentally set too low to prevent a sequence break in one of the maps from PSX Doom (Mansion, I think?). 760 is the highest it can go to prevent that error from occuring.

1 minute ago, seed said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of mention of GEC GZDoom/DZDoom, which can play both PSX Doom and Doom 64 quite faithfully, but not perfect as the internal demos do desync in Version 2. It is based on an old version of GZDoom (1.9.0), so it should run fine on potatoes.

Until PsyDoom is ready enough for a stable version, it is currently the best way to experience PSX Doom on PC by a long shot, and the D64 part is not half bad either. Just make sure to edit the mapinfo and change the gravity back to 800 or 760 - it was accidentally set to low to prevent a sequence break in one of the maps from PSX Doom (Mansion, I think?). 760 is the highest it can go to prevent that error from occuring.

Oh, forgot to mention that.

I have never tried it extensively though, but from my personal experience, "it plays well on a surface level".

1 minute ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Oh, forgot to mention that.

I have never tried it extensively though, but from my personal experience, "it plays well on a surface level".

...more than just "serviceable" or "good on a surface level".

2 minutes ago, seed said:

...more than just "serviceable" or "good on a surface level".

Probably, since I recall this version was (and still is) built on a modified GZDoom version. 

Worth a try, but like I said a few months earlier, I'm feared of the fan remakes' possibility of being taken down.

2 hours ago, D88M3R said:

Retribution is like a remaster, it has options for better animations like pumping the shotguns and extra configurable effects like bullet decals on walls. Between the mod's additions and GZDoom's options (like ambient occlusion and resolution downscaling), it has a TON of configurable changes. And it contains extra episodes, including the Absolution maps. And there is work on more. Also, you can play it on platforms that run GZDoom, like on Android, on Delta Touch.

Doom 64 on Steam is a great port which is more faithful and only costs 5 bucks. If you want to play a faithful and official remaster then get this one. It has an extra new episode. I bought this the minute it got released, easiest decision of my life, heh.

Doom EX is a free, older version by the main programmer behind Doom 64 on Steam. Old and boring now. Pay 5 bucks and get the new version.

Absolution TC is by the same coder and it is bad, old and boring, all at once!

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Absolution TC is by the same coder and it is bad, old and boring, all at once!

But you must mention it got a new campaign (specially created for this TC) with Spider Mastermind boss in the end.

Edited by Deⓧiaz

Just downloaded Retribution to give it a look, and I'm already pretty impressed by all the work that's gone into this. Love the extra content available in addition to the main campaign, and I really want to thank everyone who worked on compiling these extra levels into a single, easy-to-use D64 Wad. After I play the main campaign, its great to not have to hunt down and then load another 5 Wads on top of this one. Which is fine for Doom 2, really, but I love this conveinience.

41 minutes ago, Deⓧiaz said:

But you must mention it got a new campaign (specially created for this TC) with Spider Mastermind boss in the end.

You can play the Absolution campaign in Retribution, which I mentioned :D (I don't know about the SMM)

The Absolution TC is based on a super-old version of Doomsday, noone should run that on their PC. From the videos I have seen, it looks bad.

54 minutes ago, Deⓧiaz said:

There wasn't a Spider Mastermind. There was a new arachnotron variant that used the PSX Mastermind's sounds and shot grenades, and the final battle was a Gotcha-style arena with both the Cyberdemon and Mother Demon. It was also remade without the custom content for Retribution, so the Absolution version's only really worth playing if you're interested in that content and other differences, like me.

(at this point, VGA's post appeared)

On the whole, I think Absolution's too interesting a page in Doom's history to be completely dismissed. There are a handful of custom episodes and single levels that are currently exclusive to it, save for some simple EX conversions.

4 hours ago, seed said:

I'm a bit puzzled by the lack of mention of GEC GZDoom/DZDoom everywhere

Actually, we don't care...

Shitty ports like Retribution and BD64 believe themselves as ownwers of Doom 64.

24 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Shitty ports like Retribution and BD64 believe themselves as ownwers of Doom 64.

That... was really uncalled for though...

1 hour ago, Gerardo194 said:

Shitty ports like Retribution and BD64 believe themselves as owners of Doom 64.

Not cool man, not cool.

10 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

Not cool man, not cool.

I know, but I'm not attacking Nevander or Mark IV... I'm tired of this competence about who make the best Doom 64 experience... If people don't mention us, please don't mention us to people... I don't care if we are hated.

I have played Retribution, BD64, Doom64 for Doom 2 and have them on my PC. 

We are not part of this contest, we do our things due to passion for Doom, that's it.

@seed just wondered why there aren't more people mentioning the GEC fork. Noone said you are hated, chill.

What the heck happened? lol

You guys can play whatever port you'd like, I would never try to call mine superior to others. All of them are good for their own different reasons.

In fact a lot of them allowed others to exist. I know without EX, Retribution would not exist. Without Absolution TC, EX may not have existed either.

5 hours ago, VGA said:

You can play the Absolution campaign in Retribution, which I mentioned :D (I don't know about the SMM)

The Absolution TC is based on a super-old version of Doomsday, noone should run that on their PC. From the videos I have seen, it looks bad.

Even better, it runs a custom executable (Absolution.exe) based off of Doomsday Engine 1.7.13. Absolution simply cannot run with any updated Doomsday build.

It was from back in the days where custom engines were still a thing. Absolution is one of the more extensive examples of this, though.

4 hours ago, Gerardo194 said:

Actually, we don't care...

Literally nobody said anything bad about GEC/DZDoom on the comments of today. What are you referencing?

The only thing i would remotely find disappointing is how the current GEC GZDoom thread title is still called as such instead of DZDoom :P

Don't look for ghosts on the road when your lights are still on.

59 minutes ago, VGA said:

@seed just wondered why there aren't more people mentioning the GEC fork. Noone said you are hated, chill.

Precisely.