Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

Doom 64 is NOT Doom (DEBUNKED)

Why was it so hard for the N64 version of Doom to actually LOOK like Doom? All they've done instead is change practically EVERYTHING about what we love about Classic Doom and make it an entirely different FPS with Doom's name attached!

I look at Doom 64 and it doesn't have the detailed textures or layouts of Doom, but entirely redesigned levels that are much poorer and SIMPLER by comparison and are frankly dull.

Where is the wonderful music of Doom? All we get is this horrible dirge which isn't memorable at all.

The monsters look vaguely recognisable but I saw nothing wrong with the original graphics, so I fail to see why the changes were necessary. They're not even more highly detailed, neither!

The sound FX are almost entirely changed too, only a few sounds remain from Doom, although I don't see why any had to be changed.

I can only guess that the N64 wasn't up to rendering Doom as it SHOULD be at all, and that sacrifices had to be made. If it was a case of making it a different experience, then it was unnecessary as the Classic Doom experience is CLASSIC enough.

Strange shit. Doom 64 IS Doom. Atmosphere, hell, guns e t.c. it's Doom for 200%!

Soundtrack is awesome. Best ever in Doom series. IMHO.

You're right. Doom 64 is NOT Doom.

It's Doom 64 ;-) a whole new new game set in the Doom universe.

Foebane72 said:

Why was it so hard for the N64 version of Doom to actually LOOK like Doom? All they've done instead is change practically EVERYTHING about what we love about Classic Doom and make it an entirely different FPS with Doom's name attached!

I don't see your point.
Hell:check
Demons:check
SSG:check
BFG:check
Cyberdemon:check
Doomguy:check

With the added bonus of a dark and moody atmophere that goes so well with the ambience introduced in Doom 64.

Foebane72 said:

I can only guess that the N64 wasn't up to rendering Doom as it SHOULD be at all, and that sacrifices had to be made.

I

how the hell do you look at D64 and go "oh wow more reliable ways to do 3D tricks and colored lighting for the floor, ceiling, sprites, and three parts of the wall? MUST BE A WORSE RENDERER THAN DOOM!!!!!"

DOOM 64 is more DOOM than this new average installment. Plus Doom 64 levels are even better than Doom 2's ones.

Yeah and what the fuck is this Doom 2016 shit not using the original Doom sprites and engine either?

If they kept the same sprites sounds and over all atmosphere. People would be like "Its an expansion pack, not a sequel"

Seriously though,
Doom 64 has everything Doom has so its Doom.
The creators also consider it Doom but I guess internet people know more than the poepl who made the thing.

Im actully convinced this is a troll thread but ill hold my judgement.

jazzmaster9 said:

Im actully convinced this is a troll thread but ill hold my judgement.

Probably not since the OP mentioned it before.

But hey, everyone's got different tastes, right?

I really dont see how something as simple as changing the graphics and sound makes it not Doom.
The gameplay is exactly the same.

Well,

(and this is my opinion - didn't want to have to say it was, but it seems you have to)

I don't like Doom 64.

Am I a troll for disliking this particular version of Doom? I don't think so. Maybe it's because

(and this is my opinion - didn't want to have to say it was, but it seems you have to)

I don't like console games neither.

Voros said:

But hey, everyone's got different tastes, right?

IMO i like Doom 64 for being more "realistic" i guess.
The Terraformer has that one part where Doomguy has to use these stompers to reach the lower level. I loved that part. It's not something you see in classic Doom (at least not like that).

Doom 64 has it's perks over classic Doom and classic Doom has its perks over Doom 64.

40oz said:

Yeah and what the fuck is this Doom 2016 shit not using the original Doom sprites and engine either?

New tech for 2016, as Doom 3 was new tech for 2004.

I don't bash those games by comparison. Well, except maybe Doom 2016's arena/wave-based combat, maybe.

Marcaek said:

why do people bite on these threads

I didn't expect unanimous praise for Doom 64, that's why. I thought others would agree with me.

Just because your don't like Doom 64 does not make it not Doom.

I can already hear AC/DC singing "That song".

Foebane72 said:

Well,

I don't like Doom 64.

Am I a troll for disliking this particular version of Doom? I don't think so. Maybe it's because

I don't like console games neither.

yes people are stupid for not (obviously) understanding that this is your opinion when you say (and i really shouldnt have to elaborate) things like this

All they've done instead is change practically EVERYTHING about what we love about Classic Doom

Arctangent said:

I

how the hell do you look at D64 and go "oh wow more reliable ways to do 3D tricks and colored lighting for the floor, ceiling, sprites, and three parts of the wall? MUST BE A WORSE RENDERER THAN DOOM!!!!!"

To be perfectly honest, and this is my OPINION once again, I've never liked the look of graphics for the N64, all the games have had the same blurry, fuzzy look. I understand it was the early days of 3D rendering, but the PlayStation came along and blew the N64 out of the water, so it CAN be done better.

Foebane72 said:

Why do people harp on about Doom 64? To me, it's just an UNofficial port with awful textures and sprites, and only the PC versions and the versions that LOOK like them ARE Doom. And if it IS official, then I hate the look, feel and sound of Doom 64. I never played it, I never COULD play it, and I don't care about any plotlines that version emanated.

How can you say that the levels are Dull and other stuff if you said that you never played the game?????

Foebane72 said:

To be perfectly honest, and this is my OPINION once again, I've never liked the look of graphics for the N64, all the games have had the same blurry, fuzzy look. I understand it was the early days of 3D rendering, but the PlayStation came along and blew the N64 out of the water, so it CAN be done better.

Do you understand that N64 had one big handicap in comparation with the PSX?

Foebane72 said:

To be perfectly honest, and this is my OPINION once again, I've never liked the look of graphics for the N64, all the games have had the same blurry, fuzzy look.

Though I agree with you on some of this, I too think the N64 was always ugly compared to its 32-bit counterparts, but also understood it as a hardware limitation and accepted it as a first step in full hardware trilinear filtering on a console platform (for the record the PSX was released before the N64).

It's also no secret that I don't care for the art direction of Doom64 either, I think the monster designs are really dumb looking. But I have played the game, it has every other element of a Doom game. The new engine, textures and lighting coupled with the intelligent level design make the game ooze with atmosphere. That makes up for the rubbery, dopey clay monsters. Any fan of shooters would enjoy this game, Doom or not, as I'm sure you would if given a chance.

I hate Doom 64 too, but I don't think anyone is entitled to an opinion about something they never actually tried. So how about you actually give it a try? You might actually like it. I was actually exited about Doom 64 before I tried it (mostly because of the community here), but I hated it. It might go the other way around for you.

Rathori said:

I hate Doom 64 too, but I don't think anyone is entitled to an opinion about something they never actually tried. So how about you actually give it a try? You might actually like it. I was actually exited about Doom 64 before I tried it (mostly because of the community here), but I hated it. It might go the other way around for you.

I did. I got as far as the second level then died, then thought "I'll have to use the level codes to proceed" and then just left it there. I also don't like the idea of having to take a few minutes to scroll through letters and numbers on the screen to enter said codes, when on the PC I just could literally type in "IDCLEV31" or something.

Foebane72 said:

I did. I got as far as the second level then died, then thought "I'll have to use the level codes to proceed" and then just left it there. I also don't like the idea of having to take a few minutes to scroll through letters and numbers on the screen to enter said codes, when on the PC I just could literally type in "IDCLEV31" or something.

You could try Doom 64 EX. You'll pretty much get Doom 64 with all the "proper" functionality one would expect from a PC version, such as save & load.

That Cacodemon picture gave me a far bigger laugh than it should have.

Allow me to play devil's advocate:

Doom 64 isn't Doom because its named Doom 64. If it was Doom it would be named Doom and not Doom 64. Doom 2 is not Doom because it is named Doom 2 or Doom II.

If I were to start talking about how "Doom has shadow imps, its password feature and how damn do I love the Unmaker" you'd think I was crazy and realize I'm talking about Doom 64... not Doom.

There devil's advocate over. In other news I like typing stuff. Now I will go back to looking at that Caco picture :-) *edit* I laughed just as hard at it the second time. Now I think I'm just laughing at the fact I find it so hilarious.

Rathori said:

You could try Doom 64 EX. You'll pretty much get Doom 64 with all the "proper" functionality one would expect from a PC version, such as save & load.

I was playing it on Doom 64 EX, just discovered the Save & Load. It's making my play through it a lot easier.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Oh god, Rofl .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the Cacodemon basically saying:
"Are you fucking kidding me?"

:D

And Doom ain't even really 3D! Fuck that shit, let's play some R.O.T.T.

I've been playing it again, and I'm starting to like aspects of Doom 64. I think I was rather harsh in not calling it a Doom game, as it does have all the ingredients, they just mostly look different and I was not used to that.

But I'm going to complete the game in the next few days now, it's got my attention.

Foebane72 said:

I look at Doom 64 and it doesn't have the detailed textures or layouts of Doom, but entirely redesigned levels that are much poorer and SIMPLER by comparison and are frankly dull.

Only the moon base levels are dull.

Foebane72 said:

Where is the wonderful music of Doom? All we get is this horrible dirge which isn't memorable at all.

I agree doom's sound track was better.

Foebane72 said:

The monsters look vaguely recognisable but I saw nothing wrong with the original graphics, so I fail to see why the changes were necessary. They're not even more highly detailed, neither!

What? doom 64 is way more detailed then doom.

Foebane72 said:

I can only guess that the N64 wasn't up to rendering Doom as it SHOULD be at all, and that sacrifices had to be made. If it was a case of making it a different experience, then it was unnecessary as the Classic Doom experience is CLASSIC enough.

In my opinion doom 64 is how doom should be.

and why would we want another doom console port?