Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Average

Doom Touch on a GPD XD?

Just wondering if anyone here has run Doom Touch on a GPD XD handheld? If so, how does it run? Can it handle GZDoom, at all?

I've got a GPD XD coming next week and I'm just curious. :)

I would like to know a lot more about the D-Touch port myself... I can't directly answer your question, Average, but perhaps I can shed a small amount of light on it. I have an LG G5. Now, I don't load up very many, at all, GzDoom-specific wads in general, let alone on this phone; I've always been into Doom: The Way It Was Meant To BeTM. So on that note, I frequently load up vanilla, lr, and Boom -format maps within D-Touch's emulation of Pr-and-Gl Boom+. Something I've noted that strikes me as funny in an odd way: GlBoom+ has worse (or at best: equal) performance than GzDoom on many maps, whereas PrBoom+ is much faster, as to be expected. So take certain vanilla maps, GlBoom+ becomes unplayable at 2 fps, GzDoom remains smooth as butter.

Now, how this ties to you: perhaps compare specs for each device mentioned here; both the one you are looking for and this LG G5. Idk anything about the one you are looking for and how it would compare to this, so unfortunately I can't help there. On another front: I don't typically load up GzDoom-specific maps, so I can't give you a benchmark for playability on those either. I guess hopefully the one will be enough to be of some use, until somebody more knowledgeable drops in to help where I can not.

Judging purely from GPD XD's website: yes it can GzDoom perfectly fine. Some ZDoom specific maps and mods won't run properly, like Xaser's Argent or sgtmarkiv's After the Holocaust map (too many sectors being rendered at once).

My phone is a ZTE Blade III. It's pretty crappy and slow at times and sometimes even hangs. One thing i found out is that if I force close all running apps, open up D-Touch, force close all apps again, D-Touch runs significantly better on my phone. IDK why, but it works for me.

But this GPD XD sounds really cutting edge, so I doubt you would go through what i go through. I can't even run Fluidsynth with GzDoom without getting severe lag.

Runs very good on some weak and cheap tablets I have ran it on. But I only have tried Freedoom maps and some limit removing boom-compatible stuff, not maps that make serious use of GZDoom features.

It is hard to gauge performance or compatibility of heavy ZDoom projects, no matter the platform it is ran on heh. If those aren't your main focus, then have no fear!

Cool beans. It sounds like I'll be fine then. The biggest reason I'm interested in running GZDoom is for the Quake tilt mod and SBrightmaps so I don't think I'll be pushing the engine too much. I'm hoping that D4D runs well enough on it too - that would be a like a nerd dream come true!

Average said:

I'm hoping that D4D runs well enough on it too - that would be a like a nerd dream come true!

I wouldn't bet on it. The GzDoom used is 1.8.6 and 2.1pre. Both are a bit outdated.

ARGENT doesn't work.
The new HDoom (heh) has a bug when running it.
The latest BD Doom 4 Weapons Addon doesn't work.

Sorry, but I doubt you'll get it run without tampering with the mod itself first (thats what i did with one mod).

Bugger.

Oh well, I've sent a mail to the dev in the hopes that they'd consider updating it to GZD 2.2. Here's hoping...

Average said:

Oh well, I've sent a mail to the dev in the hopes that they'd consider updating it to GZD 2.2. Here's hoping...

I think it'd be better to use Doomworld's PM system. beloko comes online from time to time, and I've sent loads of PM to him asking D-Touch related questions, and got answers quick.

That's just me though.

Good idea. I'll give him/her a couple of days before PMing though. I don't want to come across as a crazy internet stalker! :P