Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

Aliens TC Remake.

First off, has it been done? Aside from the bex file at the Eternity site, are there any other compleat remakes? so far I've replaced the weapons:

Fist: N/A

Chainsaw: N/A

Pistol: Pulse Rifle (Ripped from Aliens Trilogy PSX, fires about the same rate as the chaingun from doom uses bullets)

Shotgun: Shotgun (new GFX (Ripped from Aliens Trilogy PSX, fires slightly faster dooms uses shells)

Super shotgun: Flame thrower (Weapon Ripped from Aliens Trilogy PSX, fire ripped from Rise of the triad. dose a shitload of damage. uses cells)

Chaingun: Smart gun (Ripped from Aliens Vs Preditor 2, fires VERY fast. uses bullets)

Rocket launcher: Rocket launcher (New GFX, Ripped from Duke nukem 3D uses rockets)

Plasma rifle: Railgun (Ripped from Aliens Vs Predator 2, same as Zdooms railgun.bex uses cells)

BFG: Minigun (Ripped from the freedoom wad, fires shotgun blasts at a slightly slower rate then dooms chaingun, needs lots of ammo uses bullets)

Two things I wish to ask,

1) Is it possible to make the rail trail invisible? it's abit out of place.

2) How do you adjust the splash damage of an explosion?

also any suggestions are welcome.

NOTE:I will get permission for any thing I've ripped before i release this smegging thing.

Good luck with your project, but bear in mind that Fox (who own the copyrights to the Aliens films) consider any 3rd party Aliens mod for any non-Aliens game to be illegal.

NiGHTMARE said:
Good luck with your project, but bear in mind that Fox (who own the copyrights to the Aliens films) consider any 3rd party Aliens mod for any non-Aliens game to be illegal.

Awww, shit. I guess yhat means any chance of it getting hosted here are down the crapper.

I bet fox isn't going to be too happy about me ripping there weapon GFX and sounds from two of there games.

The Justin Fischer Aliens TC is illegal then?

That's right. Just after the TC came out, Fox got it removed from most Doom websites and FTPs. I'm not sure how ftp.cdrom.com (and now 3darchives) managed to get away with having it, maybe Fox just didn't notice or something. There was going to be an Aliens TC for Quake 1, but Fox got that shut down only a few months after it began development.

If you really want to make an Aliens TC, why not make it for one of the official Aliens games, e.g. AvP or AvP2 ?

Either that, or make something that's 'inspired' by Aliens, i.e. you have creatures and weapons that are entirely your own creation but are still vaguely recognisable. If you've ever played Starcraft, you'll know that the Zerg are losely inspired by both the Aliens and the creatures from Starship Troopers, and the Protoss are inspired by the Predator and the Klingons.

NiGHTMARE said:
If you really want to make an Aliens TC, why not make it for one of the official Aliens games, e.g. AvP or AvP2 ?

Because:

A)Doom is piss easy to edit.

B)AvP2 run poorly on my pc.

I might do as you serggested (change content)... all though, Mods that do that tent to be a little silly... I'm kind doing somthing like that for quake 1... we'll see.

Check out Theme Patch and related files in the themes/apt directory. It's AvPvT. I was talking with the author through email and I was going to make a dosDoom/EDGE DDF version but apparently they never fixed multiplayer in that port which doesn't do much for my motivation to do that or to update my huge weapons patch. Still I released a couple things for the patch. I'm been out of the loop for a while, so did they ever fix multiplayer in EDGE? They don't have to have the whole tcp internet mode or direct modem mode. Just some working IPX would suit me fine. I prefer connecting through dial-up networking and using IPX than using a specific game's modem mode.

NiGHTMARE said:

If you've ever played Starcraft, you'll know that the Zerg are losely inspired by both the Aliens and the creatures from Starship Troopers, and the Protoss are inspired by the Predator and the Klingons.

Actually, the Zerg and Protoss are inspired by the Tyranids and another race (can't remember what the hell it was called) from Warhammer 40k, same with the Marines, although Blizzard was a bit more blatant with that one.

Look at one of the Protoss portraits, then at an unarmoured predator, and tell me then don't look very, very similar. And they're definitely partially inspired by Klingons - one of them even says "it's a good day to die!"

Now look at the head of the Hydralisk (in its portrait) - doesn't that look just like an Alien? :)

NiGHTMARE said:

Look at one of the Protoss portraits, then at an unarmoured predator, and tell me then don't look very, very similar.

They don't. the build of the creatures is totally different, the protoss has no mandibles, let alone a MOUTH, no dreds, 3 fingers, ghost-white skin, high, pinnacle like foreheads...no I don't really see much of a resemblance. As for purpose...totally Warhammer 40k ripoff. Says my friends that PLAY they game.

Now look at the head of the Hydralisk (in its portrait) - doesn't that look just like an Alien? :)

No.

It looks a lot like one of my friend James' Tyranid models, though.

On a slightly related note, Csabo has tried to put some support into XWE for ripping resources out of the original "Alien Trilogy" game.

Some of the graphics can be pulled out, unfortunately though, most of the cool sprites and so on are in a screwy format that he couldn't figure out. So, they remain safely locked inside the resource files. :-(

Of course, releasing them as part of a mod would be illegal too...

I have the old "DOOM Hacker's Guide" by Hank Leukart. It mentions Aliens TC, and even has a screenshot of an Alien on the stair-catwalk of map26 (oddly it's not from Justin's TC). It includes a CD with editors and a few patches and WADs, but the TC wasn't included; maybe by then Fox was already against it.

Guys, i honestly don't think that Fox would even notice if someone made an Aliens TC... Doom is 9 years old, i mean... even if they did notice, i doubt they would give a damn. Doom isn't exactly brand new technology, and you wouldn't be able to create an Aliens Mod even 1/10th (notice i said 1/10th because doom still owns those new engines in gameplay, but lacks level design features) as realistic as in say Unreal or Quake3.

Fox would claim that their intellectual property is being violated, so yes, if they found out, they would probably try and stop it.

pilottobombadier said:

Actually, the Zerg and Protoss are inspired by the Tyranids and another race (can't remember what the hell it was called) from Warhammer 40k, same with the Marines, although Blizzard was a bit more blatant with that one.

Yeah, but Games Workshop got em' back good, by ripping off the protoss with new race tau and making a new tyranid creature that looks disturbingly like a hydralisk.

Zerg = Tyranid Ripoff. Newer tyranid models = Slight zerg ripoff.

Protoss = Slight Eldar Ripoff. Tau = Protoss ripoff.

The score is 2/2.

Got any Ideas for a alien-ish melee weapon? I need something to replace the fist (since no marine would be able to punch a alien and get away with it).

the chainsaw been replaced with a "spotlight" that brightens up the room.

Aliens TC has been done. I believe it was our very own Mordeth who did a Dehacked patch and some graphic work a long time ago.

Wasn't that you, Mordeth?

In any case, it was a fair TC, though, no offense, the levels were kinda fucked up (well more than kinda, but still fun),
I thought it was kinda fun. The mod I'm speaking of is an AVP total conversion for Doom2.

There was also an original aliens TC (not AVP) put out a long time ago, the Smartgun replaced the Plasma Rifle then, and still fired "projectiles", but were projectiles with Cyan and two pixels. ^_^ (Thus making it invisible except the pixels)

The pulse rifle for that was kinda weird looking, really big. Also, the secondary fire (grenade) was a seperate weapon with 50 rounds (heh).

I used to play it a lot.

Good luck with your mod man, watch a lot of Aliens and Alien3 / Alien for reference, Alien Resurrection isn't much of a reference because it has a parallel story line, almost nothing to do with the original three movies. (Or play AVP)