Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Map themes there aren't enough maps of

Demon of the Well said:

All that said, I generally agree with Dobu--even very traditional themes can be made fresh again with some imagination applied. Other potentially interesting conceits abound through combining basic themes with each other or with 'modifiers' or whatever you'd call them, i.e. you could apply a 'flooded' idea to many other themes ala ruins, techbase, city or whatnot to greatly change the map's overall complexion. As another example, you might take what is in layout terms a very traditional city-style sandbox map and give a whole new spin by framing it as a Victorian-era city instead of a modern one. On the subject of combining themes, some of the most pronounced sense of place often comes where two discrete themes meet; void maps are not really uncommon anymore, and castle maps have never been uncommon at any point in PWAD history, but how many magic voidhanging castles have you seen? Not too many, I'd wager.

These are my thoughts on theming to the tee!

Voros said:

You just reminded me of Agony (the game). Their Kickstarter gameplay video really disturbed me.

Im always a sucker for maps that seem realistic and not just another abstract designed map. Maps like the recently released Lilium (which is also a snow map) or sgtmarkiv's maps such as City Assault fit the bill for me.

I just watched the Kickstarter gameplay of Agony, that is definitely reminiscent of hell from Doom.

I think,we need more levels with psychodelic themes. It`s so hard find these types of maps.

MysteriousHaruko said:

I think,we need more levels with psychodelic themes. It`s so hard find these types of maps.

Drugs are for people who don't play doom.

I'd personally love to see some H.R. Giger-esque shit in Doom. I don't ever recall seeing or playing any wad that would've been done in such a style.

Blastfrog said:

Are you sure about that?...

If you play enough Doom, you don't need drugs.

@MFG38: Giger-esque is difficult in doom. Or you put a lot of giger textures around, but then you have just room with flat surfaces, or you have to work a lot with details and maybe 3d floors to really give the idea of "repeated organic components".

MFG38 said:

I'd personally love to see some H.R. Giger-esque shit in Doom. I don't ever recall seeing or playing any wad that would've been done in such a style.

There is a big map called adessa.wad (I don't remember the author) which has that style.

And I would like to see more wads like this one:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/g-i/istnbul

EDIT: I found it:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/adessa

Rayzik said:

Snow~ (Halation)

I think a lack of textures is to blame for lack of snowy maps.

I made a Ice Cavern style map. I used mostly recolored vanilla textures but I plan on putting better ones in there at some point. Just haven't figured out how to post the link into my signature yet.

Always a fan of abstract looking virtual reality maps. Not just "bluetech" ones that use a lot of wire textures and scrolling lights, but something like Valiant 31 where it's all made out of black cubes with coloured trims.

Memfis said:

MYHOUSE. Where did they all go?

No-one wanted to make DOOM levels based on real buildings after Columbine.

DekuMemer said:

I'd like to see someone make a doom map where you jump from rooftop to rooftop.

Map04 in A.L.T. revolves around just that.

rileymartin said:

Always a fan of abstract looking virtual reality maps. Not just "bluetech" ones that use a lot of wire textures and scrolling lights, but something like Valiant 31 where it's all made out of black cubes with coloured trims.

so like this?

Spoiler

Definitely snow and tundra themes. Egypt themes would be cool, though I'd say PowerSlave, HeXen II, and Chasm The Rift also managed to cover those. But a lot of 90s shooters seemed to lack snow for any notable amount of time. Chasm's expansion pack had one or two levels set in a snowy village, but it wasn't much. Duke's Nuclear Winter did some snow too, though I can't recall that one much.

Piper Maru said:

I know it's a couple of months late, but I would love to see more Halloween themed maps.

I second, there aren't enough spooky maps.

dugan said:

No-one wanted to make DOOM levels based on real buildings after Columbine.

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Someone made an entire city on Doom in this decade.

Baratus said:

It'd be interesting to see more maps sets in organic-looking outdoor setpieces, such as in mountainsides or forests or misty swamps. Either that or maps set in ruins of ancient civilizations.

I second that.

Personally speaking, I'd like to see something like ancient Greece, Persia/Iran (like in Serious Sam TFE), or even ancient China.