Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Looking for early boom and zdoom wads where mappers were getting used to new features

I've sorted my local idgames mirror by date, and it just seems like a lot of the wads under ports just take advantage of the increased map limits, without any of the numerous features that the boom and zdoom tech demo showcase.

And while I'm at it, i remember this early boom wad, it was a winter setting, with slippery floors and... "wintery" music that sounded like it was from a jrpg or something. It wasn't the CAH series and it sounded vaguely like this:

The Gateway Experiments E1 was quite ambitious for its time (2003) I believe. There is a storyline, cutscenes, moments where you have to make a choice and so on.

TRUST is 2 years older and has no options, but there is a storyline and a lot of effects (it is basically an attempt at turning Doom into Half-Life). The ending made me pissed lol.

The Lost Seraphim is also from 2001, very creative. There is a whole level dedicated just to the process of teleportation.

Pacman Doom was a great example of turning the game into something completely different.

Memfis said:

Pacman Doom was a great example of turning the game into something completely different.

Is there anything else like this other than sonic doom and reelism?

invictius said:

Is there anything else like this other than sonic doom and reelism?

Not sure if this fits the bill, as I never tried it, but there was ZooM, a Zdoom racing mod. And its from 2003. Whether it's finished or not I don't know, but it sounds ambitious (correct me if im wrong).

Assault on Tei Tenga is the first ambitious project with ZDoom I can think of, then there's also the KZDoom series of single maps.