Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CursedHeretic

Realm 667 importing

So I want to import a ton of textures/monsters/weapons from realm667 for testing before starting a long wad but I am having a rather difficult time doing so.

I just copy and paste their content into my map through slade, make sure they have a 15000ish number if they don't in their decorate file, and hope for the best. But half of them come out broken or not working at all.

Is there an easier way to do this? Slade makes me want to claw my eyes out.

I want to test a LOT of downloaded stuff so I have over 100 wad files I need to merge. Please tell me there is a better way lol

I'm not quite understanding what it is that you're doing, but this is the idea of what you want to do:

1) Open the file you downloaded with SLADE 3, and then open the Wad you want to put the stuff into with SLADE again. (Get SLADE 3 at http://slade.mancubus.net/)
2) Slade has a tab system. If you open the program, you can change between your wad and the one you downloaded.
3) In YOUR wad, create new entries and give them these exact names (if they don't exist):
PP_START
PP_END
F_START
F_END
SS_START
SS_END

3) Select the WAD you downloaded and copy all the sprites
4) Change the tab to your WAD and paste the sprites in between the SS_START and SS_END file.
5) Copy the textures from the wad you downloaded and paste the textures between the PP_START and PP_END file.
6) Copy flats (floors) from the wad you downloaded and paste them between the F_START and F_END file.
7) Copy sounds and paste them at the very bottom of your wad. SOUNDS DO NOT NEED TO BE BETWEEN ANY MARKERS.
8) If a DECORATE file exists inside your wad, Copy the code inside the downloaded wad's DECORATE and paste it into your wad. If a DECORATE file does NOT exist inside your wad, just copy paste the decorate from the other wad anywhere outside the Markers of your wad.
9) Final step - Open the Decorate inside your wad. Every Monster's code starts with a line like this:

ACTOR MonsterName XXXXX
XXXXX being a number.

What you have to do is to make sure that NO MONSTER/Weapon has the SAME NUMBER. If they do, you will get problems.

Also if a monster does not have a number, GIVE IT ONE (this is if you want to be able to spawn him in Doom Builder. I suggest you make your numbers larger than 11110. This will avoid conflicts with other monsters/weapons that already have a specific number assigned by Zdoom/Doom. If the numeber is too big, the wad will not work.

If you still aren't quite sure how this works, I'll create a sample wad so that you can explore by yourself and you should be able to understand it from there.

CursedHeretic said:

But half of them come out broken or not working at all.

Broken in what ways? What warning or error messages do you get in ZDoom's startup log when you launch the game? When putting the resources into a wad, do you make sure to keep namespaces separate (for example, avoid adding new resources in between map-specific lumps or the sprite markers of previously added sprite sets)? Do you make sure that some of the sprites/patches/textures don't have identical names to other ones?

There is no reason why anything should be broken if you do everything right - however, putting unrelated resources together really requires manual effort to resolve their conflicts with each other, and SLADE3 is the best tool out there for that.

If you really want to save yourself effort, take a wad/pk3 like Score Doom or scalliano's shuffle mod or similar ones that already have done this and created a wad/pk3 containing tons of resources fine-tuned to work together. (Obviously, as these are actual mods rather than repositories, you might need to obtain permissions to release your own work based on them.)

Buu342 said:

Damn dude this is pretty much exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for typing up that guide!

Ok so even following your instructions I'm still messing something up bad.

This time I just wanted to test heretic based weapons from realm667. Can anyone tell what I did wrong from these pics?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AoqLXhDyvT8HbIdg3mQ8A-c5tt8

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AoqLXhDyvT8HbasiuCQsdO-Xi-U

Sometimes some of the stuff I download looks messed up in slade even before I add it. Like the colors are inverted or corrupt or something. Whats up with that?

CursedHeretic said:

Ok so even following your instructions I'm still messing something up bad.

This time I just wanted to test heretic based weapons from realm667. Can anyone tell what I did wrong from these pics?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AoqLXhDyvT8HbIdg3mQ8A-c5tt8

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AoqLXhDyvT8HbasiuCQsdO-Xi-U

Try adding "gzdoom.pk3" from your GZDoom folder into the Resources list in GZDB, and check the option to exclude this resource in testing mode.

CursedHeretic said:

Sometimes some of the stuff I download looks messed up in slade even before I add it. Like the colors are inverted or corrupt or something. Whats up with that?

That's because the graphics are paletted. Different games on the Doom engine use different palettes, and not all custom resources on R667 use the Doom one. You can solve this by converting the graphics to PNGs (while in their correct palette) or to the Doom palette.

"Unable to find "nnn" class to inherit from" warnings are there because you didn't include (g)zdoom.pk3 as a resource (because those "nnn" actors are defined there).
"Actor "zzz" is double defined" error is there because there are several actor definitions named "zzz" in your DECORATE code. Removing those extra actor definitions will fix this error.

A side note: any hints on how to make those errors more intelligible for the users? It's not the first time I see someone posting similar errors asking "But what does that even MEAN?.."

MaxED said:

"Unable to find "nnn" class to inherit from" warnings are there because you didn't include (g)zdoom.pk3 as a resource (because those "nnn" actors are defined there).
"Actor "zzz" is double defined" error is there because there are several actor definitions named "zzz" in your DECORATE code. Removing those extra actor definitions will fix this error.

A side note: any hints on how to make those errors more intelligible for the users? It's not the first time I see someone posting similar errors asking "But what does that even MEAN?.."

When developing for Garry's Mod, I remember the way I went around that was to provide the fix along with the error message.

MaxED said:

Can you dumb that down a little for me I still don't have a clue what this means. Also I put the gzdoom pk3 file in gzdb and excluded it from testing and a lot of errors went away but now I can't switch weapons in test mode? (i reset the controls still no)

And the decorate folder is still not showing so I can't place or see any the weapons I added...

This make brain sad

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AoqLXhDyvT8HbkR28tSeTt4SOcI

Am I suppose to add the weapons as resources in gzdb too? Aren't they part of the wad now that they are sladed in??

Perhaps I should also mention this is a HERETIC wad im trying to make?

CursedHeretic said:

Can you dumb that down a little for me I still don't have a clue what this means.

It means that some actor defined in one of your DECORATE files has the exact same name as another actor, which shouldn't happen, and you should fix it by removing the superfluous actor (if its definition exactly matches the other actor's definition) or renaming it (if it has an unique definition and the name match is just an accident).