Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bonnie

What's the difference between prboom+ complevels?

Specifically -complevel 2 and 9 (but i'd like to know the others too). I want to know if complevel 9 changes any core gameplay or if it just adds extra triggers and stuff.

Like if I played Doom 2 with -complevel 2 vs. 9, would there be any difference?

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/PrBoom

Most are super-useless unless you want to be able to play back some old demos.

I think complevel 9 (boom) may have some bugs fixed, which would break demo compatibility but may be better for gameplay. You will probably not notice a difference.

A very significant and very obvious difference between 2 and 9 is that monsters can be pushed over ledges on 9, potentially making them stuck or dropping down to the next floor. Obviously this can have some gameplay implications. I know there's also some smaller things that are affected- less sounds playing at the same time and subsequently cutting off other sounds, for example. I think there's even an adjusted RNG between the two levels?

I definitely would like to see a comprehensive list of differences between all the complevels at some point in my life. It would be quite handy to have.

Oh wow, I had no idea stuff like that changed. I was asking because I've been mapping in Boom format and I wondered if it was too late to go back to Doom format or if it was worth it to just play with complevel 9 all the time.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll most likely stop mapping in Boom format.

i was new and stupid

Edited by bonnie

Don't confuse prboom complevels with mapping formats too much.

If you map in Boom format you have more options, like more trigger actions. It is very important. Also several mapping effects more. It is better and compatible with almost all source ports.

Yes but I can't use most of those triggers and other goodies without complevel 9 as far as I can tell.

I don't want to use or make anyone else use complevel 9 if it does stuff like letting monsters get pushed over edges or changing the rng or the sound.

i was new and stupid

Edited by bonnie

bonnie said:

Yes but I can't use most of those triggers and other goodies without complevel 9 as far as I can tell.

I don't want to use or make anyone else use complevel 9 if it does stuff like letting monsters get pushed over edges or changing the rng or the sound.

I think if they don't use any complevel, then the default is used which is OK.

Anyway, half the projects that come out are Boom projects, it is a very common standard, you don't have to worry about people having to do extra steps.

In other words, you map in Boom format and you test in latest prboom+.

It's not about doing extra steps, it's about it not being vanilla.

i was new and stupid

Edited by bonnie