Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geX

Noclip Documentary: DOOM Resurrected

I liked Doom 4 too, but like Touchdown, I wish they had taken the atmosphere and story a little more seriously. I always thought that the original Doom's story and gameplay was so arcadey and unserious simply because that was what the technology allowed at the time. If I recall correctly, I believe that some of the old devs said that Doom 3 was basically the game that Id would have made if they had the tech back in 1993. It was their modern vision of Doom.

I am not saying that Doom 3 was the perfect version of Doom or that Id should have just remade Doom 3 instead of making Doom 4, however, I wish they had kept a serious atmosphere and combined it with the fast paced and hard hitting combat of Doom 4.

I used to want an all-serious Doom story, but after Doom 3 (as much as I enjoyed it to a degree) I'm ok with the story being unimportant. And to he fair Doom 4 does have a highly serious edge, it's just balanced out with a healthy helping of comic relief as well. But it's not goofy or anything so it's alright for me. It's just more fun than Doom 3 that's what I keep coming back to.

That door opening with the Cyberdemon standing there... that fucking moment, wow. Exactly like from the teaser. That shot of the crowd standing up and cheering gave me chills. I stressed so goddamn much about seeing the new DOOM at e3 2015 show, I barely slept the night prior and saw all kinds of nightmares of a dull boring sci-fi DOOM.

I am disappointed that we didn't get to see more of the cancelled DOOM4 or the QC14 footage. That's what I was the most interested in.

Kevin Cloud says something that relates to my fascination with the previous version of DOOM. It's the same reason why I loved DOOM3 - it's DOOM but a different take on it. It's not that I'm interested in playing a highly cinematic version of DOOM. It's that I'm interested in seeing the game done in a way to surprises me. I know that I'm in an extreme minority here and that I'll never get to play that (after the success of DOOM4 there's no way they'll ever try to do that again). But it's something that I really REALLY wish I could see one day.

I should probably make it clear that I would not want to replace DOOM4 with something else. But I would love to see a more 'controversial' take on the franchise. I won't but hey, a man can dream can't he?

By the way, that teleportation effect from HoE DOOM4 is amazing.

LANEGRACABRA said:

That door opening with the Cyberdemon standing there... that fucking moment, wow. Exactly like from the teaser.

Yeah, it actually looked pretty damn cool in-game.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Skip to 13:00 if you're interested in Call of DOOM ;).

Teleporting Imps holy shit, they should bring them back for the sequel! They look more agile and difficult to kill. And also, they should make Glory kills base on the guns you holding, like whacking the shit out of the demons with your shotgun and the part where Doom guy chokes the hell out of that guy with the shotgun at 21:33

Doom 2016 is already controversial to some people :p

I would like to see more footage of the cancelled Doom 4 though.

I'd like to see some gun glory kills for sure, The game felt slower than the one we currently have but the setting on earth and the storyline could be Interesting, I hope the sequel takes that aspect with more seriousness.

Phml said:

Doom 4 is more generic than Ziggurat, Dying Light, Left 4 Dead, Serious Sam 3, Tower of Guns, Heavy Bullets, Betrayer, Borderlands, Rust, WASTED... The list goes on. Have you considered it could just be you're not very well aware of the diversity of shooters out there, while people you complain about may be and therefore judge Doom 4 by different standards than yours?

Most of those games simply aren't as fun, visceral, or as polished as DOOM. For example, I have Ziggurat and it's definitely something a little different, but the combat and level design are way more pedestrian than something like DOOM and it gets old quick.

doom_is_great said:

I wish they had kept a serious atmosphere and combined it with the fast paced and hard hitting combat of Doom 4.

I just don't think that would work as well. Having a character gliding and hopping around the room at a fast pace, ripping off heads and tearing out eyeballs, all while the atmosphere is 100% serious and scary would be jarring.

I do think that the assumed sequel can be a little creepier and have more campaign sections that are dark and scary to change up the pace, but I think the whole self-aware vibe needs to remain. One of the coolest aspects of the new DOOM (and why it clicked so well for a lot of people) is that it basically felt like Doom game about Doom.

Touchdown said:

I should probably make it clear that I would not want to replace DOOM4 with something else. But I would love to see a more 'controversial' take on the franchise. I won't but hey, a man can dream can't he?

My concern is that while a "controversial" Doom game might be different for Doom, would it be different for gaming as a whole? The argument I've made for the last few years is that Doom is already unique and that a new entry just needs to embrace key aspects of the classic formula and give it some modern twists. That's exactly what the new DOOM did and it felt fresh in the year 2016. And it also didn't just feel like a blatant copy of Doom 1/2, so it felt pretty fresh to the veteran fans as well.

Well as we can see it wasn't scrapped completely..what we have today is actually what was already in call of doom version. But yes that teleporting imp is fucking awesome! How could they scrap that idea?

id.dav said:

But yes that teleporting imp is fucking awesome! How could they scrap that idea?

Because they decided not to use it? It's a fairly easy decision to make when reusing old resources to make a new project.

Honestly teleportation is not very good for combat flow. It's annoying in deathmatch, doesn't really make any sense for AI fights either, especially on low tier fodder.
If your most common enemy can just decide to be anywhere it wants at any moment, you quickly dissolve the combat into whack-a-mole, with every possible surface in a room being a possible destination. That doesn't even sound fun on paper.

Edward850 said:

Because they decided not to use it? It's a fairly easy decision to make when reusing old resources to make a new project.

Honestly teleportation is not very good for combat flow. It's annoying in deathmatch, doesn't really make any sense for AI fights either, especially on low tier fodder.
If your most common enemy can just decide to be anywhere it wants at any moment, you quickly dissolve the combat into whack-a-mole, with every possible surface in a room being a possible destination. That doesn't even sound fun on paper.

Really? And isn't summoner's behavior the SAME? And that is why he is very fun to fight with.

id.dav said:

Really? And isn't summoner's behavior the SAME? And that is why he is very fun to fight with.

Not remotely close. You can see where he goes for a start.

Voros said:

Same for that strange white city level

The city is white because it doesn't have textures; simple as that.

Stapler said:

Seems that the lighting was quite a bit more subdued in the Quakecon reveal than the E3 reveal, though I'm not sure if that was a deliberate choice or an effect of the game not being complete:

I remember noticing striking visual differences as well between the Quakecon reveal and the E3 reveal a year later. I believe Marty or Tim Willits said after the E3 reveal that they basically re-wrote the entire renderer in the time between---which makes sense, because right after the Quakecon reveal was when the news broke that Tiago Sousa (Crytek's former lead engine programmer) was switching to id. The Quakecon footage had much more of an id Tech 5 feel to it. (Granted, id Tech 6 still has parts of id Tech 5 code.)

I enjoyed the first part.
So glad they scrapped Call of Doom, there would have been an outrage.
Brave of them to stick to their guns and go in favour of what we got , a very dangerous thing to do in todays gaming climate.

I NEED to play it as a different game lol, would love to see demonic invasion on earth and how hell took over.

Awesome documentary, really glad to see the veiws on everyone. Working at ID must be a unreal. Doom is seriously in great hands. It seems as though this was almost way darker themed than thought? Possibly could have been.

Edward850 said:

Not remotely close. You can see where he goes for a start.

and the summoner isn't as threatening as an imp is. higher priority to kill, sure, but the imp in Doom 4 is already fast, agile, and can deal a surprising amount of damage to you. the summoner is much more slow and stays in one place while summoning in new enemies, making him a lot easier to pull a shot on and stun. and i don't recall the attack being that dangerous compared to the fast imp fireballs. the summoner is only really annoying on a no upgrade run, because it's a lot harder to decisively kill him unless you're using the chainsaw.

Got a real kick out of that hell knight with the big cartoon hammer. What was that, a placeholder model for one of the hell guards?

I disagree with a 100% of things they say in this video. What they're describing is absolutely, totally not what DOOM is to me. Everything that they're giggling about how awesome it is, I fucking hate.