Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geX

Noclip Documentary: DOOM Resurrected

MetroidJunkie said:

I don't get why id was so secretive with the trailer they showed for Quakecon. If the part they showed here is any indication, it looked just as polished back then. Were they purposefully withholding it from the general public to make the press feel special?

I doubt the press appreciated it very much, given they weren't allowed to record it or post any images of it. "I saw something cool but I can't show you" is a journalist's worst nightmare.

It was done purely to please the fans there, and the resulting good-will would put id in a good light.

MetroidJunkie said:

I don't get why id was so secretive with the trailer they showed for Quakecon. If the part they showed here is any indication, it looked just as polished back then. Were they purposefully withholding it from the general public to make the press feel special?

When they announced that the reveal was gonna be in closed doors, it was the most angering thing i've had seen. I was waiting for the new doom since they were teasing it, and seeing the first teaser on E3 announcing the game reveal on quakecon got me hyped to no end to finally see what they were doing for the new game.

The whole "we wanted to make something special for the quakecon fans" its BS to me. It was like a middle finger to the rest of the doom fans

Bauul said:

I doubt the press appreciated it very much, given they weren't allowed to record it or post any images of it. "I saw something cool but I can't show you" is a journalist's worst nightmare.

It was done purely to please the fans there, and the resulting good-will would put id in a good light.

And they (Zenimax) did it again this year with Prey
And they will likely do it again next year with something else (maybe new Wolfenstein or some other unannounced project)

wheresthebeef said:

And they (Zenimax) did it again this year with Prey
And they will likely do it again next year with something else (maybe new Wolfenstein or some other unannounced project)

I don't see the point in this new Prey game , it has nothing to do with the original and the original was called Prey because of its storyline having a native American theme running through it.

I wonder what the Prey "reboot" would've been called if Zenixmax didn't slap the fallow Prey license onto it. Maybe "ShockShock: The Shockening" :-P ?

bedbug182 said:

I don't see the point in this new Prey game , it has nothing to do with the original and the original was called Prey because of its storyline having a native American theme running through it.

The point is, they bought an IP, and Prey 2 wasn't working about apparently. So they made a new game and are incorporating the name into it.

Sig said:

The point is, they bought an IP, and Prey 2 wasn't working about apparently. So they made a new game and are incorporating the name into it.

Except a lot of people suspect they probably had a game that also wasn't working out that well as a standalone property and, suddenly they had this name with some renown behind it they could use, so they slapped the two together. Kinda like when Rare's Dinosaur Planet game suddenly got Star Fox slapped into it.

Prey was never that popular, and isn't remembered, and you can't even buy it digitally. Prey is hardly 'renowned' at this point, nor would it be a selling point for this game now. They scrapped the original Prey 2 which may have very well had elements transfered to this current version (see Call of Doom>Doom 2016), and just kept the name Prey, because the game was revolved initially around that title, and calling it '2' became pointless as it isn't a sequel.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Or maybe because the last time id tried to do something vaguely different (i.e. RAGE), it did not do so well and now they are afraid of taking risks.

Yeah because loosing money is a good thing.
If you don't Like Doom 2016 then good.
No need for your go to a Doom 4 related thread and justify your elite tastes in FPS games.

Sig said:

Prey was never that popular, and isn't remembered, and you can't even buy it digitally. Prey is hardly 'renowned' at this point, nor would it be a selling point for this game now. They scrapped the original Prey 2 which may have very well had elements transfered to this current version (see Call of Doom>Doom 2016), and just kept the name Prey, because the game was revolved initially around that title, and calling it '2' became pointless as it isn't a sequel.

This is true , Prey was never a popular game. The only reason I played it is because it came free with my original Xbox 360 in 2006. Otherwise I'd have probably never played it.
Was it a bad game? Hell no! The theme was different and they put a fresh spin on the 'alien abduction' trope.
However it was an extremely easy game to finish.

Prey was essentially the antithesis to its cousin Duke Nukem Forever. Both share the same development hell history, but with the key difference that a) Prey had always been relatively obscure, and b) it came out with flying colours, delivering pretty much everything it had promised even back in 1996 when it was announced. In fact, I'd argue that it is probably one of the best vaporware games ever made. The Duke on the other hand was constantly in the public eye, and eventually came out a sad mess that sat somewhere between mediocre and just plain bad.

I love hearing devs talk about their games, it helps for relaise a bucnh of shit that you wouldn't have. Like for example; doomslayer is basically a toy collector

In the first grade, in the first toy battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one stood. Burned by the embers of playtime, his plastic body blistered by the fires of elementary school and tainted beyond ascension, he chose the path of perpetual toyment. In his ravenous playing he found no spare pieces; and with ruined balljoints he scoured the Playroom seeking vengeance against the action figures who had wronged him. He wore the crown of the Space Rangers, and those that tasted the twhack of his sword named him... the Toy Slayer.