Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The /newstuff Chronicles #522

joe-ilya said:

I sat there for half an hour making a flesh inverted sector based big Ben and all I get are a bunch of judgemental fucks who are biased towards me, rage quit at my hard map and tell me it's bad.

Just because you spent forever making a clock doesn't mean that the map itself flowed and played poorly and was not enjoyable (this, from what I can gather, is the major complaint about your map and the, no offence, hideous Big Ben just cemented the level as a bad one).

My advice would be to never bother detailing the map until you have nailed the gameplay so it is fun and engaging to take part in, then you stylize the map.

Oh and try not to get angry at reviews, it sucks but you gotta take the bullet and work off of them to get better.

I'd like to see you making a full big ben clock without using custom textures, I'd like to see how to do better, since you're the masters of mapping then.

joe-ilya said:

I'd like to see you making a full big ben clock without using custom textures, I'd like to see how to do better, since you're the masters of mapping then.

Ah, the classic "you have to be a mapper to critique" argument.

Also half an hour is nothing.

Also looks like the clock had a stroke.

joe-ilya said:

I mean you could have at least got the colour right. Big Ben is brown, not grey.

zap610 said:

Ah, the classic "you have to be a mapper to critique" argument.

I'm not making an argument, I legitimately want to see someone do better so I can have a prefrence.

joe-ilya said:

I'm not making an argument, I legitimately want to see someone do better so I can have a prefrence.

But it's such an obscure thing to do. Like, okay. You tried to make a clock out of normal textures. Congrats. What's the point of somebody else doing it too? It's making things harder than they need to be and as you saw, for no reward.

Why should someone else make another clock of stock texutres? I dunno, ask the person who said that someone could've done it the best way.

Alright I'll bite. I'm sitting in a room with a black and white picture of the palace of westminster - taken from a distance. The hands are visible, the numerals less so, so when they're not really possible to do without custom textures, why bother?
Granted the tower itself isn't really possible either because of that spire that needs 3D floors, but eh, here's 25 minutes work.

http://i.imgur.com/iBuRgfv.png

Spoiler

2016-12-20  16:14:22  <ErisFalling>	anyone recognise this building? http://i.imgur.com/iBuRgfv.png
2016-12-20  16:14:42  <UberGewei>	yay zdcity london edition o/
2016-12-20  16:14:45  <Alteus>	the small ben.

Oh c'mon Joe; making sector art, while quite fulfilling to complete, is something anyone can do. It's not difficult; just tedious. If I can make my name, "Fonze," or many, many other words out of an EXIT sign, anybody can. For that matter, making a Big Ben would just be like a larger version of that sign, but with different textures.

Be careful what you wish for though; some of us do enjoy making sector art. How pissed will you be to see that some new Doom level has a Big Ben in it and it's better than yours?

*edit*
Nice Eris

joe-ilya said:

Completely miss the point of what I said then.

This is why you still have a stigma around you.

DRL 3.33 said:

It's supposed to be Big Ben. I'm sure a good mapper would be able to make Big Ben look good in Doom, but alas. Also, we voted to skip the map because of how horrendously bad it plays.

mrthejoshmon said:

Just because you spent forever making a clock doesn't mean that the map itself flowed and played poorly and was not enjoyable (this, from what I can gather, is the major complaint about your map and the, no offence, hideous Big Ben just cemented the level as a bad one).

It is not just the clock people care about, the clock is just the icing on the proverbial cake.

No offence, but it is just a generally bad map that has the most memorable part as a weird meat clock.