Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOOM!

Happy Birthday DOOM.

You're my Favorite Game of All Time, and rightfully so. Even though the history books have you written down as the second game I ever declared my Favorite, you had every right to be the first. Whereas Gauntlet Dark Legacy is now lost and forgotten in the corridors of time, you shall never die, even though we will eventually...

It's been 23 years already, time sure does fly by. I remember me and my brother playing Doom back in 1993 when it first came out. Who would have thought Doom would have lasted this long. I still have the original discs, as well as Doom II, Final Doom, PSX Doom/Final, Doom 64, Doom 3/RoE, and now Doom 2016. I can honestly say the Doom series has always had a prominent place in my gaming library.

Happy Birthday DOOM! I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Honestly, I have eight years playing my most favorite games of all time, despite of Medal of Honor Underground was my first FPS game I played way back in 2000 when it first came out for PS. But in 2008, I felt the best FPS experience I've ever had, a game since 1993 and that game is our most beloved game, DOOM!

ya know, the most amazing part about this is that, even after two decades, this game still has a fairly active community. and to think that there's still people creating new maps and content for a 23-year-old game just blows my mind. i mean, games like half-life and zoo tycoon 2 didn't have their modding communities remain as active as our's is, and their communities were huge. it's kinda hard to believe, if you ask me.

Doom is old enough to drink. We should go drinking with it! Death means take a shot! Alcoholic shots not gunshots.

What do you get for the man who has a BFG? Extra health? A soul sphere... yes that's it a soul sphere. I'll be back...

*edit* back with the best gifts I could muster in 20 minutes:

The rip and tear open some presents was hilarious.

Moments like this are a strange reminder of the impact something can have on us. I've been playing Doom since 1994, literally 22 years ago, and there has not been a single year that I haven't played Doom. I'm thankful to have found this community and to have an endless ocean of mods to tinker with.

Five days late, but here's an interesting tidbit.
My younger brother shares a birthday with Doom! He was born on the same day as the nonexistent 8th Annual Cacowards. So now I'm officially considering saying the Cacowards are a gift to him from the Doom community.