Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2017 Mentionation Thread

54 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

I thought Cacowards were for the best wads of the year, not the most "original" or "different." It's not an abstract art exhibition.

It's for whatever somebody on the Cacoward team liked playing that year.

Well, one thing that makes Revilution stand out is its high number of unique textures. It has its own visual style that we haven't seen before. For that reason to me it doesn't feel like "just another" megawad.

I don't really think Revilution deserves a cacoward for namesake, it's not the best WAD I've played, but it is one of the more noteworthy projects of the year that's been released, and it deserves atleast a mordeth and an honorable mention.

I've stated it before, but Zaneion and Albertoni are very welcome newcomer additions to the mapping/modding roster. I feel their respective outputs would compliment each-other.

Or I just really am curious on what they could put out.

Edited by SArais

- Temple of the Lizardmen 4. TotLM3 had the problem of abusing the same layout all the time; linear path, find a locked door, go into a side path to find the key, back to the linear path, repeat. It got boring fast, but that's not the case with TotLM4; nice layouts and even different map paths.

- Rise of the Wool-Ball. Already mentioned but whatever; I found Shadow of the Wool-Ball boring, too Wolfenstein3D-esque for me. But the sequel is really fun and much better. Enjoyed it a lot.

At the moment, I want to mention of:

Counterattack (Mechadon)

The Kerberos Complex (antares031)

Autopsy (MyNameIs)

Atlas Complex - Waste Processing (Guardsoul)

UAC Vinur Prime Research Base (Zanieon)

• UnAligned
  • Shadows of the Nightmare Realm
  • Rise of the Wool Ball

All three of these show amazing creativity in different ways, and are a great showcase of what this modding community does in particular; with the base engine, expanding upon that with what source ports can do, and the potential for new games respectively.

UnAligned in particular impressed me with how radical a departure it is from most vanilla/limit-removing WADs.

+1 for lilith.pk3 - genuinely weird and creepy, in all of the right ways. Here's hoping it helps to influence future forays into what the weird and uncanny side of Doom modding can offer.

Title: Triplex

WAD name: triplex.wad [IDGAMES]

Author: Memfis

The Demon variants are cool and hard to kill.

Just now, Voros said:

Unfortunately, triplex was released in 2014 and not 2017.

Sorry, didn't see the date!

On 7/28/2017 at 7:15 AM, Voros said:

Unfortunately, triplex was released in 2014 and not 2017.

Doesn't matter, you can still vote for it.

46 minutes ago, Major Cooke said:

Doesn't matter, you can still vote for it.

You're not voting for anything. This thread is simply for providing the reviewers who write the Cacowards with mods to check out, as well as help them loosely gauge how much community interest there is in a mod.

Also, if it wasn't released in 2017, it won't be in 2017's Cacowards, will it?