Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2017 Mentionation Thread

On 11/4/2017 at 7:04 PM, Marcaek said:

I'll ++ this as well; they have done a fantastic job so far and it's just a ton of fun to play. I'm heavily anticipating the release soon :)

The Joy of Mapping 4. For encouraging so many newer mappers on a technical level, plus being a good megawad to boot!

Those actually existed for a couple of years, they were held by COMPET-N and were called the "Golden Cybers". One could argue that since they came first, the Cacowards actually copied them.

On 12.11.2017 at 9:47 PM, Lokust Sun said:

CASTLEVANIA! SIMON'S DESTINY!!!!!!!

Seconded, a lot of effort and dedication has been put into this.

I really feel like i missed out this year. I'm still catching up with a few of last year's maps, so i haven't played any new ones. Atleast these threads are great for finding great releases.

Disjunction

I think that this was first unveiled in 2016 but it wasn't officially released until 2/2017. Hopefully it counts because it's a masterpiece and that's an understatement. I seriously can't praise this map set enough. Great selection of music, great map design and layouts, beautiful aesthetics, tons of custom textures, and more. It has the quality of a map set that was put together by a team of veteran game designers and then play tested extensively to refine the game play.

I guess it is almost time I guess, I did mention NEIS at the start of the year as it fell into that 2016/17 crossover period and it still deserves some recognition.

Anyway so whilst I have not played enough doom related stuff this year there has been some real decent releases, some of which have come out of the blue somewhat.

So firstly - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/mek-catk 

To be honest this is no real surprise, Mechadon is probably in my view one of the best mappers out there creating huge and immersive environments with some compelling gameplay to boot. 

Now the other two were certainly ones to come out of the blue by mappers who have not been on the scene for long.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/disjunct

This came out at the start of the year, whilst there are flaws, there are some great visuals and some real standout encounters in here.

Very similar to disjunction in my thoughts, some great ideas and settings produced here.

Alfonzone is a masterpiece, in the literal sense.

Pinchy should punch his ticket for Mapper of the Year for the works on this alone (are there other stick out favorites, or just the usual crowd)
Its going to take a while to digest this one, because Alfonzone is such a show stopper.

Rise of the Wool Ball and Lilith are easy locks, IMHO.

I'll also throw out Lutz's Dark Tide, and Monti's Witness of Time, both very cool.

I'd like to suggest the newly-released Final Doomer Plus which adds weapon packs themed on BTSX, Ancient Aliens and the JCMP alongside TNT, PLutonia and classic Doom.

Now that's December I can say with absolute certainty that the Cacoward selections are already locked and your mentionations do nothing (protip: they always did nothing)

On 25.11.2017 at 10:57 PM, Big Ol Billy said:

Gotta nominate the Doom Loot Box mod for Mockaward. Haven't actually played it, admittedly, but it's a crafty bit of commentary on AAA game publishers that also implicitly argues for Doom's continued modern relevance. Has gotten some nice media attention for the community, too.

Kind of tame honestly, the shit actual triple A developers are pulling is way more over-the-top than what's done in this mod.

Should have had everything, ranging from health, monsters, ammo, even whole entire maps, locked away in lootboxes.