Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Share a random fact about yourself

1 hour ago, Halfblind said:

I have been struggling with major depression and an anxiety disorder for the last few years. The sadness is the least of my symptoms and worries. The hardest symptoms to deal with are the constant fatigue, inability to focus, ringing in the ears, sensitivity to everything, constant anxiety/worry, the nervous system glitches and having to put aside all my hobbies and interests due to not having the energy to do them.

I do have a silver amalgam filling in 1 tooth which contains mercury. Mercury is a known neurotoxin which is known to cause a variety of nervous system issues. These do include chronic fatigue, ringing in the ears, depression and anxiety amongst other life threatening issues.

Over the last 2 years I have tried 7 different antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications and all of them have either made me sicker or have not even helped at all. Sometimes I don't know what to do about it and I have lost hope in the American mental health system. I think that it is very corrupt and in the long run it doesn't help at all.

This is pretty much me.  I've tried so many different medications that I'm about out of options.  Thankfully very few have had negative side effects on me.  My anxiety also manifests slightly differently in that I don't have the ringing in my ears and the fatigue isn't quite chronic, but I do have self-harm issues, and can easily get triggered by sudden loud sounds.  My depression also comes with "psychotic features", to quote my therapist's diagnosis, since I see things that aren't there and hear (friendly and helpful) voices.  So yeah, you aren't alone, for what it's worth!

1 hour ago, Potatoguy said:

Hearing my own voice in a recorded .ogg file, I sound like a sissy. I don't know if anyone else has this experience; where they're cringed/shocked of hearing their own voice on a recording.

Hearing my own voice played back is still strange to me. It's much deeper and maybe a bit more dorky than it sounds from inside my own skull.

Hearing my own voice in a recorded .ogg file, I sound like a sissy. I don't know if anyone else has this experience; where they're cringed/shocked of hearing their own voice on a recording.

Supposedly it's actually how you really sound to others too, and I recall myself sounding pretty damn nerdy and soft spoken.

Absolutely I have! Your voice vibrates through your head, giving it additional bass. So when you record that voice from another source, subtracting the bass in the process, it sounds foreign. 

8 hours ago, Megalyth said:

Hearing my own voice played back is still strange to me.

^ .

Recordings sound nothing like me when I'm talking either but rather like a 13yrs old's voice or so lol.

7 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Your voice vibrates through your head, giving it additional bass. So when you record that voice from another source, subtracting the bass in the process, it sounds foreign. 

Makes sense now. But still sounds just so different, other people seem to sound almost identical on records but well, looks like I'm not that lucky.

Whenever there's any music playing in the background I always find myself walking with my steps almost synchronous to the beat, regardless of whether or not it's a song I particularly like. I've never noticed anyone else doing the same thing.

I used to stand in an incredibly stupid pose in which I placed my right foot on the left side perpendicular to my left foot (shaped kind of like a sideways T, or this: - | ). I stopped doing it when I noticed that my knees sometimes sounded like old ungreased door hinges (literally) whenever I knelt down.

21 minutes ago, Ex Oblivione said:

Another random fact about me is I could never get into Star Trek or Star Wars.

The only Star Wars stuff I was able to get into somewhat was the expanded universe and old republic. I tried watching several iterations of Star Trek and just couldn't get into it. I'm more into Warhammer 40k and pre-End Times/Age of Sigmar Warhammer.

tree.jpg.1ab045e4637454a0884560e60e04fc64.jpg I turned my GZDoom Builder folder icon into a tree so it stands out from all the other folders I have on my desktop.

I also turn on mouse pointer trails on every computer I use just 'cuz it looks cool :)

15 years ago when I was in third grade I broke my arm at recess. Now as a result the arm that I broke is 1 inch longer than the other.

I never really liked DooM that much, tbh. Dont get me wrong, its a fun game, but I always found the gameplay quite simple compared to many other games, same thing for Half-Life. In my mind Half-Life and DooM are like siblings, very similar, old games from the 90s that aren't as advanced as many newer, more modern games. The only reason I play DooM today is because of user-made levels, which, in my PERSONAL opinion, are usually much better and more well made than the original doom IWADs. May be a controversial opinion around here but, that's just my personal opinion :D 

Edited by Jthom : changed post text numerous times

On 4/12/2018 at 11:32 PM, Potatoguy said:

At more than once I wondered: "Is this what people around me listen to? How can they tolerate me like this?!".

What is worse, however, is recording your own singing voice. Those who had done it, know it. Those who haven't done it, are blessed and innocent.

On 12. 4. 2018 at 11:32 PM, Potatoguy said:

I don't know if anyone else has this experience; where they're cringed/shocked of hearing their own voice on a recording.

well this is basically me when i hearing my own voice somewhere... :Dtenor.gif.de61642a43bd379be1ca0769dcd96c07.gif

On 4/12/2018 at 5:44 PM, Mayhem666 said:

I also have a weird feeling hearing myself singing my own lyrics in our songs.

Whenever I hear my own voice recorded I sound like a dullard. The men on my mother's side of the family have slow John Wayne voices. Yet people always compliment how amazing my voice is that I should be doing radio, voice over or working sex phone lines. Having college level public speaking became an issue with people complimenting my voice. Nothing like being 18 in college with a bunch of 40 year old women telling me I need to work phone sex lines. Others have told me I have a lyrical voice like I just about sing things as I talk. I wouldn't wish my singing on anyone.

I tried out for Audible doing voice over readings of books. They didn't take me. Now I know they go with famous people, so I didn't stand a chance.

I remember when I started working for a company, I was told by one of the high ups that my voice was distracting. He said my voice is so good and I spoke so proper that it was intimidating. He told me I needed to drop the bass in my voice and speak like a normal human being. So working there I modified my voice pitch a bit higher and took on a dumb hick accent. It worked well and everyone enjoyed how I just adapted to be more approachable. I think that's what lead to some feeling I have a lyrical voice. Sometimes I raise the pitch of my voice so I seem more pleasant.

Anyway... I still hate the sound of my voice. It doesn't even sound good in my head, let alone hearing it on a recording. Then again perhaps if I had a big microphone it would sound better.

Edited by geo

I went to a small local show in a bar to talk to a girl about somethings, (no, it wasn't a date). and I didn't even manage to go and talk to her. I felt pretty dumb afterwards and i'm way too antisocial or something, maybe too shy or don't have any guts. 

Shame on me lol.

With the discussion of fears, I have a made up "secret fear" that I tell to new people in order to see if I can trust them. I only thought of the idea after someone decided to use a fear against me. I thought wow... I am not going to trust that person ever again. Even seeing how they react to me explaining my fear tells me a lot about them. Some laugh, others make fun of me for it, others tell everyone, others will send me text messages of pictures with the fear, some are sympathetic while others just don't care.

3 minutes ago, Mayhem666 said:

I went to a small local show in a bar to talk to a girl about somethings, (no, it wasn't a date). and I didn't even manage to go and talk to her. I felt pretty dumb afterwards and i'm way too antisocial or something, maybe too shy or don't have any guts. 

Shame on me lol.

That's normal, it can be so tough. My tek for doing hard stuff is to do an internal countdown and just blurting it out once I reach 0. The way I asked my current girlfriend to be my girlfriend was "ok, when I walk over that crack in the concrete I'm going to ask". I've heard of other people doing it and it works pretty well.

4 hours ago, geo said:

With the discussion of fears, I have a made up "secret fear" that I tell to new people in order to see if I can trust them. I only thought of the idea after someone decided to use a fear against me. I thought wow... I am not going to trust that person ever again. Even seeing how they react to me explaining my fear tells me a lot about them. Some laugh, others make fun of me for it, others tell everyone, others will send me text messages of pictures with the fear, some are sympathetic while others just don't care.

What's your secret fear? You can trust me I won't judge

5 hours ago, Chezza said:

What's your secret fear? You can trust me I won't judge

Big stompy robots or mechs. What's yours? Is it stairs?

Edited by geo

7 hours ago, Mayhem666 said:

Shame on me lol.

Eh, it happens I guess.

I don't really have any difficulty in talking with girls but I don't usually want to because, I don't know, they seem to want to be treated as if they're "special" (and also remember when I said people seem to have really awkward or outright embarrassing ways of talking to girls these days), which I absolutely don't do and never will. I talk and treat them like I do with everyone else, so if they expect to receive some sort of "special treatment" they'll only have their asses handed back.

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

I don't really have any difficulty in talking with girls but I don't usually want to because, I don't know, they seem to want to be treated as if they're "special" [...] I talk and treat them like I do with everyone else, so if they expect to receive some sort of "special treatment" they'll only have their asses handed back.

Not all girls are like that (although that should be obvious I guess). I remember that I tried to be a bit nicer to one of my friends, and she ended up kinda pissed off because I was treating her in a "special" way haha. She almost seems like a man at times :P

1 hour ago, KVELLER said:

Not all girls are like that (although that should be obvious I guess). I remember that I tried to be a bit nicer to one of my friends, and she ended up kinda pissed off because I was treating her in a "special" way haha. She almost seems like a man at times :P

^ Of course it is. And that's exactly what I'm looking for, but unfortunately I'm not having much luck as of yet. I had a few very nice girls in high school but that's as far as things went. That's the main reason why I'm not exactly looking for girls, too many of 'em seem to want that "special" treatment. "How to you talk to a girl", pls.

It does sound a bit strange ("almost like a man") but that pretty much hits the nail of what I was trying to say, in a way :v .

I find singing to be a deeply uncomfortable act to engage in (despite my fondness of say, joke telling or even public speaking), so much so that I don't even sing by myself where no one can hear me.

8 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I find singing to be a deeply uncomfortable act to engage in (despite my fondness of say, joke telling or even public speaking), so much so that I don't even sing by myself where no one can hear me.

I'm sort of the reverse. I like singing when I'm alone, generally trying to sing along various singers whose vocal style I can more or less replicate while listening to their music, wherever I may end up doing it (the bathroom has brilliant acoustics for growls 👌). Daemon's (Limbonic Art) style is among the easiest.

Too bad I can't replicate the styles I like the most... wish I could immitate Arnaldo Asmodeus (ex-Mystifier) and the perfectly inhuman and evil roars of Masse Broberg (ex-Hypocrisy). Yeah I know most people don't know who they are but that's not the point anyway. I've never tried recording myself singing. Since recordings of me talking sound radically different from how I hear myself I don't even want to think about singing. I'll probably do that at some point, if I ever manage to learn playing a couple of instruments as I'm still thinking about starting a musical project until I die.

On the other hand, telling jokes or talking in front of people makes me extremely nervous, so I try to avoid this as much as I can. I'd rather do that alone since I'm talking to myself in my mind most of the time.

I have come to realize that I often use sophisticated words and sayings while in real life conversations. Like, instead of "Hi!" I say "Greetings!", instead of "Wassup?" I ask "How's the situation (on the front)?" (often followed by a more specific question like "What is your stance on/Do you find [circumstance] to be of liking to you?"). Instead of "Goodbye!" or "Bye!" I say "Farewell!", "Godspeed!" and even "Keep safe!" for those I care the most.

This is kinda weird, in a way similar to knowing your tongue is sitting in your mouth doing nothing. I had probably used such phrases as a joke once and they stuck, especially the "How's the situation on the front?".

The weirdness intensifies when I am typing and/or texting, because, when I do, I use a heckuva lot of slang, be it local or made-up by myself. Examples: "prolly" for "probably", "me thinks" instead of "I think", and so on. So online I speak like a normal being but offline I am a character from an 18th-century novel.