Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Share a random fact about yourself

30 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

Kyzym hasan çokdyzel ertugrul zylfikar

:O we have some of those too!But they are used less here up north than in the south,it seems that some of those words you guys use seem to either be corrupted versions of the original words or just the original ones since we have different versions of them like for example kesa which here it's called qese :) (Q like CH in churh)

Random language trivia:

In the northern gheg dialect of Albanian potato is called kortoll (In the southern tosk it's called patate) nearly the same as in German which is Kartoffel.That would mean that we somehow took the word from each other but Austria which basically blocks Germany from Albania calls potatoes "Erdapfel" (earth apple) which throws my entire theory into the ground :D (In French they call it earth apple too)

30 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

I'm terribly honestly genuinely legitimately sorry for being such an unbearable inconsiderate offensive garbage of a person but what the hell is wrong with you people

This question may or may not be aimed at me, but I'm very sure I developed my phobia by being subject to physical abuse through my childhood.

If you read the Haphephobia article, you saw under the symptoms, "sense of impending danger, fear of loss of control, feeling of being trapped."

In short, it causes anxiety.

27 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

subject to physical abuse through my childhood.

Oh wow... that's unfortunate...

And it's very real, which is the most distressing point. I suspect it's also the cause for my compulsive need to defend others from these situations.

It's not why I am who I am today, that's because I decided to go my own way and learn the world through experience, but I believe it is part of what made me realize that I shouldn't just be shaped by events of the past. You move on, find strength from it.

I don't mean to go on a tangent, but for a long time I thought I was one of the worst human beings alive. Interestingly, it was ultimately Basic Training that snapped me out of that. I may not have made it, but the Army still did a lot of good for me, and I think that's why I don't resent them at all and absolutely support others going in.

I was once told that life is like a wheel, it goes around cyclically and things go well or poorly like that. I reject that idea. I daresay that life is more like a seismograph, it has its ups and downs, some massive, some small, but it's random, and sometimes things stay on one side or the other before crossing the threshold again.

That's an oversimplified version, but I hope it makes some sense.

Also, if anyone needs to talk, you can always send me a PM. I'm not a therapist, but just talking to someone can feel like its taking a massive weight off. I know that from personal experience.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

18 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I shouldn't just be shaped by events of the past. You move on, find strength from it.

As a more general idea, I hear this a lot, and I'm starting to see it more and more as a contradiction. I mean, whatever you go through teaches you a lesson of varying importance which will undoubtedly change something in you, the way you see things and how you act in various circumstances and so on, just like past experiences taught me that no one can be trusted 100%, that much trust is foolish, and a person's true nature never changes for instance, and in consequence I changed my ways of dealing with people.

18 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I daresay that life is more like a seismograph, it has its ups and downs

Yes indeed, that's an accurate description from my POV, and sometimes these spikes can be very nasty, for better or worse.

Hm, well...

I'm on the 'tism spectrum. A moderate case of what was previously referred to as Asperger's, but the medical community has made the nonsense decision to try to get rid of that terminology, and put everything autism-related under "autism spectrum disorder." Just one of many problems I have with the medical community, especially in the West.

I'm also very, very religious (Eastern Orthodox Christian). Doom has an excellent theme going with the whole 'destroying demons' thing, from my perspective.

Favourite "colour" is grey, though if that is excepted, then either blue or red, depending on the shade, and what object is being coloured.

Oh, and despite being born and raised in America, I use UK English. This isn't out of any like for the UK, which is even more of a shitshow than the US is (an impressive feat, honestly), but rather because US English feels flat and lifeless in comparison.

I'm good at a number of accents, particularly those based in the British Isles (excluding Scotland and Wales, which I simply haven't practiced). I have fooled Irishmen and Brits into thinking that I was Irish and British, respectively. 

My own regular accent is exceedingly hard for people to pin down, having a basis of a sort of 'default', bland American accent, but heavily altered, somewhat purposefully, somewhat accidentally, to sound more akin to Claude Rains, Malcolm McDowell, and Jeremy Brett. Upon hearing it, I have been asked by many different people if I am English, Scottish, Irish, Polish, Ukranian, German, Russian, Swedish, and I think a few others were lobbed at me as well, but I no longer remember. But to my own ears, I just sound American with British inflections and pronunciations on some letters and many words.

Guest Unregistered account
6 hours ago, bzzrak said:

I'm terribly honestly genuinely legitimately sorry for being such an unbearable inconsiderate offensive garbage of a person but what the hell is wrong with you people

I'm not sure what makes you say this. Is being jumped on by someone you don't like considered desirable if it's a girl?

12 hours ago, bzzrak said:

I was going to say something, but @Kapanyo pretty much answered that one for me.

I have Asperger's myself, with a sprinkle of OCD on top. Suffered huge bouts of depression in middle school for the entirety of the 7th grade, which is some of the worst years of my life. Now I'm better and more improved, being mostly stoic and deadpan. It's a pain in the ass to deal with, but I think it's a blessing in disguise. I may be anti-social to anyone besides my family, but I get the job done on anything and the OCD provides me extra caution on anything. It's what I term myself as "Social basket-case". My two cents, but I think Asperger's is a different case compared to Autism, so being identified with the latter always pisses me off, since I can handle myself. 

P.S. If I ever rage-quit a game, I simply just fast-click out and take a nap to calm down. Works well for me. 

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

I have Asperger's myself, with a sprinkle of OCD on top. Suffered huge bouts of depression in middle school for the entirety of the 7th grade, which is some of the worst years of my life. Now I'm better and more improved, being mostly stoic and deadpan. It's a pain in the ass to deal with, but I think it's a blessing in disguise. I may be anti-social to anyone besides my family, but I get the job done on anything and the OCD provides me extra caution on anything. It's what I term myself as "Social basket-case". My two cents, but I think Asperger's is a different case compared to Autism, so being identified with the latter always pisses me off, since I can handle myself. 

I also have OCD, but I need to spend more time evaluating my behaviour to determine what is me just sperging out, and what is obsessive-compulsive behaviour. A mild-to-moderate case of dermotophagia is certainly one of my notably OCD behaviours, however.

The depression is something I dealt with hardcore from, yep, 7th grade until a little while after high school. Even amongst many of the people I've met, it has seemed that I had been even deeper into it than most. And it just made me into a terrible person. I did some dreadful, dreadful things during that period of my life. I'm pleased to have moved past it, and permanently so. Like you, I tend to be rather stoic a lot of the time. It comes across in my writings online, but in such a way that people can think that I'm bitter or angry, which I'm not. So I can write paragraphs tearing into what someone said, having no emotional interest in it, and they'll ask me why I'm so angry. That's just how I type, but ah well. I come across a little better in person, but in reality, I'm also almost always very quiet (as a result of not having anyone with whom I can discuss my interests with), which makes it hard for me to get closer to people. But it has it's own benefits and is, as you say, a blessing in disguise.

I'm not so bothered by Asperger's being called autism. It *is* a form of autism, just less troublesome than normal, full-blown autism, but the similarities in symtoms are very important to note, especially for normies. But most people understand that it isn't hardcore 'tism, as I get a lot of, "Oh, well, you seem very high-functioning!" which is correct. Besides, I think the normal idea of an autist will, over time, become more understood as a spectrum, at least. So the clarity lost with the term "Asperger's" allows for some eventual ambiguity under the umbrella of 'autism spectrum'.

1 hour ago, chopkinsca said:

Fun fact: I have never slipped in the shower. I hope to keep it that way.

same

7 hours ago, chopkinsca said:

Fun fact: I have never slipped in the shower. I hope to keep it that way.

Me neither, my bathrooms are also pretty small so I fear that if I ever do that I might seriously injure myself.

Also, quite a number of people seem to have experienced depression in a way or another around here. I'm not surprised at all, it really does look like people experience it only more and more often. My mother told me the last year when a psychologist she knows talked to her she said the number of cases has increased exponentially among high schoolers, at the very least. I myself never experienced it, existential crises are probably as close as I got (although they're rather different I think there are some similarities between the two), which, I must say, for the last few years have been very frequent, but so far 2018 and the second half of 2017 mark their complete absence.

At the end of the day, I'm a sentimental idiot.

Was closing up shop with a coworker I'm really crushy about when we discovered the doorknob was jammed and no one would be able to get in the next morning to take care of the dogs. We wake up the boss who's on a business trip elsewhere in the country, ask her for any possible code that might open the side-door, and none of them work. We climb walls like ninja, into the big play yards, to reach the other entrances, and shred our knees and elbows in the process. The codes don't work on those doors either. She realizes she forgot her cigarettes in the truck and we can't climb back over the wall to get them. We have to climb over another wall and land on asphalt to get out of the facility; I toss an outdoor mattress (used as a makeshift dog bed) over the wall for her to land on 'cos she's nervous about the height, whereas I used to climb the rocks on the Oregon shore. We trade embarrassing personal stories waiting for the locksmith to come drill the doorknob. When we finally get back inside, it's almost midnight, and she's coming back at 4am the following day, so she'll get fuck-all for sleep, but she insists she's the only one who needs to stay, and I can go home. I say fuck that, if you're stuck here having a shitty night, then so am I. Besides which, it's a dark, secluded part of town. It's right up the road from the police station, but it's still not a fun place to be alone at night.

Next day I come in at 3pm, she's taking a nap in a kennel with a puppy. Embarassing photos ensue. She goes home with massive bedhead. I continue my shift. Near the end I go into the bathroom and find a thank-you card in my locker saying I'm one in a million and thanking me for staying late with her. So less than 4 hours of sleep, and just coming off of a long shift, and going immediately into another long shift, she still finds the time to go get a card for me, find one that has exactly the message she wants for me, writes in it, and puts it in my locker.

I immediately burst into tears.

@Impie ok you're in. What's your next plan of action?

Edited by Chezza

9 hours ago, Chezza said:

@Impie ok you're in. What's your mext plan of action?

She's engaged. Bursting into tears kinda was my plan of action.

1 hour ago, Impie said:

She's engaged. Bursting into tears kinda was my plan of action.

So it's not official yet? She may need a warm hug and someone who has proven to be caring if something bad happens to her fiance yeah?

1 hour ago, Chezza said:

So it's not official yet? She may need a warm hug and someone who has proven to be caring if something bad happens to her fiance yeah?

I suppose so, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Impie:

"I cried because I started believing in the good of humanity again"

People:

"Marry the girl"

A fact about me,myself and I:

I breathe air :)

17 hours ago, SOSU said:

Impie:

"I cried because I started believing in the good of humanity again"

People:

"Marry the girl"

I kinda cried for both of those reasons.

Sometimes I don't know how to put words in one proper sentence. It's more problematic when I use english, not my native language. 

31 minutes ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Sometimes I don't know how to put words in one proper sentence. It's more problematic when I use english, not my native language. 

Even I have some problems when I have to put words in a sentence......but sometimes I blame the keyboard :D

1 hour ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Happens to me all the time, in fact, I often tend to talk in "bursts" of a few words at a time so I can think how to form the next sentence. If I don't do that, there's a high chance that I end up talking gibberish.

5 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Same, regardless of language. It usually happens when I'm tired and my sentences turn into one big nonsense. When that happens I'm usually unable to understand whatever I'm reading either.

9 hours ago, Myst.Haruko said:

Hah yeah, familiar, sometimes (IRL!) I will reply something literally like "Ummm yeah hahaha nIcE skrrrrr yo isn't it? I don't know *LOUD HYSTERICAL LAUGH*"

Which is interesting. Or, uh, skrrrrrr. Right? :]

...not good, not good at all

My speaking tic is letting off a super tiny chuckle after every sentence that isn't 100% serious. I dunno why I do it, probably to signalize people that I am feeling chill atm. And whenever I am sarcastic, I dial up my native dialect by 200% to drive the point that I am making fun of something.