Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

SNES Doom vs. GBA Doom II

Extracting, editing and replacing the sprite sets to reinstate red color and fix the errors is a big improvement and does not require knowledge of how the game engine works, heh.

Doomkid said:

Surely you're exaggerating Quasar, 3DO Doom may have a great soundtrack, but who could actually play that shit?

What about the Saturn version? At least you could sorta letterbox the 3DO version to make it more playable. With Saturn, your options are unbearable lag and... that's it.

MetroidJunkie said:

What about the Saturn version? At least you could sorta letterbox the 3DO version to make it more playable. With Saturn, your options are unbearable lag and... that's it.

It's not that easy, even with the smallest possible screen the 3DO version is laggy. The Saturn version is at least much more playable.

Averagewalrus24 said:

From what I've seen (and played) Snes DOOM has better music, while GBA DOOM is better graphics wise (aside from green blood).

Damn it your avatar confused me into thinking I posted that.

MusicallyInspired said:

Doesn't the GBA version split the levels in half sometimes? Does the SNES version do that?

I think one or two levels were split in half in the snes version.

Averagewalrus24 said:

From what I've seen (and played) Snes DOOM has better music, while GBA DOOM is better graphics wise (aside from green blood).

What's so bad about green blood?

Also, the SNES never had to do Doom 2, which has much bigger levels than the original. I doubt the SNES version could handle those kinds of levels, anyway. The GBA, surprisingly, seemed to have less compromised levels than the Ps1 version, even retaining the Archvile.

MusicallyInspired said:

Doesn't the GBA version split the levels in half sometimes? Does the SNES version do that?

Yeah, Industrial Zone and Chasm are split in half. And nope, none of SNES Doom levels are split.

MetroidJunkie said:

Also, the SNES never had to do Doom 2, which has much bigger levels than the original. I doubt the SNES version could handle those kinds of levels, anyway. The GBA, surprisingly, seemed to have less compromised levels than the Ps1 version, even retaining the Archvile.

Doom 2 wouldn't work on the snes you can only see the front of sprites.

I did a size comparison of Industrial Zone/The Chasm with Mt. Erebus (the largest map in SNES Doom). What I found is both Doom 2 maps are about the same size as Mt. Erebus. So, if said levels were made in SNES Doom, they'd be intact with no need for a split. However, I do believe the taller room heights from both levels would cause SNES Doom to crash.

The PS1 version didn't necessarily just tone down the maps, they took them directly from the Jaguar version of Doom for the most part.

MetroidJunkie said:

Couldn't handle it. Even the Ps1 version had to tone down things a lot in its Doom 2 maps.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BKNPaWGxjio/hqdefault.jpg

But that's because PS1 sux and was designed exclusively to play RPGs and other such Japanese nonsense. N64 all the way! Was joke effective at raising ire?

Avoozl said:

The PS1 version didn't necessarily just tone down the maps, they took them directly from the Jaguar version of Doom for the most part.

All the levels up to Tower Of Babel were directly from the Jaguar port. The levels after were converted by Midway themselves.

The Jaguar version only included Doom 1 levels, the Doom 2 levels were modified specifically for the Ps1 version. The GBA version had to put a big wall in the middle to keep too much from being rendered but it managed to retain the high heights.

Impboy4 said:

All the levels up to Tower Of Babel were directly from the Jaguar port. The levels after were converted by Midway themselves.

Well I should've worded what I said better but I did say "didn't necessarily just" meaning not only, of course I am not trying to imply all of them were taken from Jaguar Doom but my point still stands that they weren't just reduced maps.

I showed Crusher, it's a Doom 2 map that wasn't in the Jaguar version. It was gimped in its heights specifically for the Ps1 version. I specified that the Doom 2 maps were toned down for the Ps1, levels that the Jaguar never had in any form.

geo said:

But that's because PS1 sux and was designed exclusively to play RPGs and other such Japanese nonsense. N64 all the way! Was joke effective at raising ire?

That nonsense still exists to 2005 you know. :p
N64 have 4MB/8MB(with Expansion Pak) RAM so if someone just port DooM 1/2 or even Final DooM on N64 I think the PC maps would be enough(unless they can't fit to the cartridge but it unlikely, just maybe cost more for using higher size of cartridges)

When you have to put maps from a 4MB RAM needed game into a console only have 2MB System RAM and 1MB Video RAM, such suckage hardly to avoid.

(Oh, the Atari Jaguar also have 2MB RAM too)

playerlin said:

N64 have 4MB/8MB(with Expansion Pak) RAM so if someone just port DooM 1/2 or even Final DooM on N64 I think the PC maps would be enough(unless they can't fit to the cartridge but it unlikely, just maybe cost more for using higher size of cartridges)

When you have to put maps from a 4MB RAM needed game into a console only have 2MB System RAM and 1MB Video RAM, such suckage hardly to avoid.

Aren't we still in like 1999? I guess I was gone a long time. If there's one tagline to sell a console its... Jaguar. Jaguar. Jaguar!

playerlin said:

You don't know about 64doom? Doom has been ported to N64!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9CN6mh6h08

If anything, I think Doom 64 shows an extra layer of care and love for the N64 as opposed to the other two consoles. They could have slapped another port onto it but they didn't. They gave it its own graphics, its own levels, and even an original enemy and weapon. Given that it's the only console at the time with 3D perspective correction, Carmack certainly wouldn't have had anything against giving it hardware rendering since it doesn't have the affine texturing issue that plagued the Saturn, although apparently the Wolfenstein 3D debacle caused Carmack to swear off of developing for Nintendo consoles until Orcs and Elves for the DS.

MinerOfWorlds said:

Do you need a mouse? i tried it with a keyboard and it didn't work.

You're using the default key bindings? They suck, try this intead:
ESDF for moving (or WASD, if you prefer that)
J turn left
L turn right
K speed
I use
Space fire (well I use Backspace because that's under my left thumb)
I can effortlessly circle-strafe the cyberdemon on e1m8 like this.
BTW I have ergonomic keyboard (Kinesis) and that's why the ESDF is used instead. Also the keys are balanced between left & right hand, with fingers in their proper positions and not offset to the left (which would be somewhat uncomfortable).

PSX DOOM was released two months after the console and was based on the crappy Jag port. Just compare Ridge Racer (1) with Ridge Racer Type 4 and you can see that things came a _long_ way during the console's lifespan. Could PSX DOOM be better? Absolutely. Could it equal the PC or N64? No. The RAM was simply always going to be an issue. Give the PSX 4 MB of RAM and it'd trounce the N64 because it's an infinitely more efficient console at getting polys & textures to screen.

ROM-based consoles can mask their shortage of RAM up to a degree -by performing "virtual swaps" (purging stuff from RAM, loading/decompressing from ROM when needed, purging again etc.). Sure, ROM is slower than RAM but faster than a HDD or CD, so they can get away with it. If ROM storage was cheaper and the game coded to use ROM data directly rather than decompressing into RAM, even bigger levels and most assets could be included. But a "100 Mega" cartridge at that time (in the Neo-Geo sense) would cost a lot of $$$.

hex11 said:

You're using the default key bindings? They suck, try this intead:
ESDF for moving (or WASD, if you prefer that)
J turn left
L turn right
K speed
I use
Space fire (well I use Backspace because that's under my left thumb)
I can effortlessly circle-strafe the cyberdemon on e1m8 like this.
BTW I have ergonomic keyboard (Kinesis) and that's why the ESDF is used instead. Also the keys are balanced between left & right hand, with fingers in their proper positions and not offset to the left (which would be somewhat uncomfortable).

Thanks! that helped a lot.