Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MeetyourUnmaker

Are there any mods that are like Sunlust but

...How is UAC Ultra like Sunlust?

While not a megawad, most of Death-Destiny's stuff is fairly similar in terms of encounter style. Grime is probably my favorite work by him.

A YouTube commentator told me Foursite reminded them of Sunlust. I've never played Sunlust so I can't comment myself, but just passing on what they said.

You could try other works by the authors like Stardate and Combat Shock 1&2. As far as wads that omit the SSG, Echelon doesn't give you one on UV until map 20-something.

You could try out Swift Death.
Foursite is a very good map, starting out very very easy (few zombies here and there) to damn hard (platforming while enduring the SM's hitscan attacks).
Another giant map I know is 7 Sins.

I never played Sunlust though, but I assume its hard.

Voros said:

You could try out Swift Death.
Foursite is a very good map, starting out very very easy (few zombies here and there) to damn hard (platforming while enduring the SM's hitscan attacks).
Another giant map I know is 7 Sins.

I never played Sunlust though, but I assume its hard.

It's not hard in the way of it being challenging and requiring skills. It's hard in the way of spamming about 15+ archvilles in a small room on all sides with no cover and hope you can spam the BFG fast enough, the later levels also are pretty resource intensive as they contain thousands upon thousands of monsters even on the lower difficulty settings.

Your first question is probably not going to get you an answer you want. Sunlust contains a multitude of qualities, "difficult to complete" and "containing many enemies on some levels" being two of them (and even those are arguable). But you're not even asking for maps with those things: you're asking for maps that has every currently-undescribed quality of Sunlust except for those things. Try to describe what you like about Sunlust and ask for other maps with those qualities. If you yourself don't know what you like about the megawad, how can you expect anyone else to divine that information for you?

As far as SSG-scarce wads go... can't of think any off the top of my head, it's a pivotal weapon in the Doom2 arsenal. Just as many of the Doom2 enemies fit the "mid-tier" classification, SSG sits right in the middle of the weapons: packing more punch than the shotgun/chaingun but not quite capable of the devastation that the rocket launcher and plasma rifle provide. I myself find it frustrating to see SSG used so often, but it is what it is. Valiant improved the firepower of its chaingun, so you might at least have some luck using SSG less.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

I'm also looking for wads that don't use the SSG (or rarely) but still use Doom 2 monsters/resources.

Nova: The Birth is a megawad where the SSG doesn't show up until map 7. Though that one's in a secret, it doesn't show up until map 9 without secrets.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

It's hard in the way of spamming about 15+ archvilles in a small room on all sides with no cover and hope you can spam the BFG fast enough

The closest to that is the ending of map32 and that's something of a joke map. Maybe the tower part at the end of 30 counts as well.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

It's not hard in the way of it being challenging and requiring skills.

Oh damn he's seen through the facade! I knew it was only a matter of time before Ribbiks and danne were exposed for the difficulty-inflating frauds that they are. Someone ring up Alfonzo, we need those cacowards revoked!

Good contemporaries to Ribbiks if you're not keen on his specific style are both tourniquet and rdwpa, though their work is not that much easier nor do they handle visuals in the same way he does. That said, you might still want to check out Miasma and Ovum. If you're looking for a cool SSG-less wad to play through, I highly recommend Echelon.

And Foursite is neat, but lol at the Sunlust comparison

CapnClever said:

Your first question is probably not going to get you an answer you want. Sunlust contains a multitude of qualities, "difficult to complete" and "containing many enemies on some levels" being two of them (and even those are arguable). But you're not even asking for maps with those things: you're asking for maps that has every currently-undescribed quality of Sunlust except for those things. Try to describe what you like about Sunlust and ask for other maps with those qualities. If you yourself don't know what you like about the megawad, how can you expect anyone else to divine that information for you?

As far as SSG-scarce wads go... can't of think any off the top of my head, it's a pivotal weapon in the Doom2 arsenal. Just as many of the Doom2 enemies fit the "mid-tier" classification, SSG sits right in the middle of the weapons: packing more punch than the shotgun/chaingun but not quite capable of the devastation that the rocket launcher and plasma rifle provide. I myself find it frustrating to see SSG used so often, but it is what it is. Valiant improved the firepower of its chaingun, so you might at least have some luck using SSG less.

The thing I like about Sunlust is its artstyle and the design of the maps in it and the textures used in it. So I guess I'm looking for something akin to BTSX E1 texture wise but with the map diversity of Sunlust. I'm looking for something that is similar to Sunlust artstyle wise but not as nearly as resource intensive as it.

I don't like Ancient Aliens because it uses too much purple/pink and I don't really like that type of humor in it. (ancient memes)

MeetyourUnmaker said:

I don't like Ancient Aliens because it uses too much purple/pink and I don't really like that type of humor in it. (ancient memes)

Would you say those memes were dug out of a dank crypt?

Cynical said:

...How is UAC Ultra like Sunlust?

While not a megawad, most of Death-Destiny's stuff is fairly similar in terms of encounter style. Grime is probably my favorite work by him.

They're both dark and grimy with high contrast colors and uacultra isn't as hard or computer hardware intensive. Perhaps were interpreting this sentence fragment of an OP differently.

MeetyourUnmaker said:

(ancient memes)

5 years old isn't much of ancient, you know. Kilroy and Frodo Lives, that's what one could call ancient. Stuff that started after the internet was actually a thing, that's fresh memes.

I have played Sunlust on HMP. And I am not ashamed of it. Lower the difficulty and enjoy the wad (I picked UV when I got to the map 20-something). As Dime said; Misama is also cool.