Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Times where you fukin ownd at Doom

Ever get in a crazy unchoreographed ambush that you were almost totally sure you were gonna die but somehow you managed to come out on top? How crazy was it and what did you do to get out of it? Did you kill a huge number of monsters at such a high speed or in perfect synchronization that your not even fully convinced it was real? Was it a significant boost in your overall skill or wwas it a totally freak accident that just happened to work in your favor? Post your stories here

At least one time I was strafing around a bunch of monsters with more and more revenant fireballs following me since the start of the battle until the end, 2-3 frantic minutes! There were no obstacles to get rid of them!

But I really feel badass when I know that a monster has taken enough damage that a full SSG blast can take it out, so I just rush forward and in it s face and blow it away. Especially awesome against archviles, you kill them and you still see and hear the flames for about a second as his broken body collapses.

When I completed my first slaughter map. I had no idea what I was getting into but I completed it... oh wait I died lots.

But I did get 100% completion.

I once downed 3 imps and a (low health) cacodemon with a single shot from the SSG. 

Edited by Guest

I was once teaching my friend to do glides. I chose that Doom 2 map16 one as an example. After making a regular, "slow" glide, I decided to restart the map and try to show him an instant variant, just like in the C-N record, and I had made it on the first try.

That one time I punched out a Revenant while non-Berserk.

I once somehow managed to survive a final room full of zombiemen while under 5% health and unarmored, meaning that a single shot would have downed me, killing everyone of them in an incredible chaingun sweep a-la Rambo. I still am not sure exactly how I pulled that one out.

Interestingly, this actually was captured in a (ZDoom 2.1.7) demo included in MASTMAGA.WAD by Jodwin. Speaking with actual PROOF, bitches. How 'fukin ownd' and boss is that?

When we played 2002ado on ZDaemon TNS, it was part of the session where we turned fast monsters on and they do 2x damage. It was this room - and there was a cyberdemon there too when we played it. I went in alone and came out alive, somehow. Can't remember if I had plasma gun or SSG*. The victory prompted suggestions I was an impostor, as I'm typically total shit at this game. Felt awesome.

There was a similar experience on Sunlust MAP14 - with those same settings, everyone was hiding in the start, I just charged past them and started clearing out all the monsters in that first room, but I did eventually die that time.
Oh and on a private server I did most of Resurgence MAP31 on my own - maybe standard settings, only to die in the triple cyber fight to my own rocket because my ping suddenly flared up to like 1000. Bah.

* derp, thanks mem

I remember that 2002ado moment! I was watching you and expected you to die in a few seconds. Of course it wasn't SSG since it's Doom 1. :D

Well not to brag but...
When ever I join a deathmatch with around a dozen people in it, mid match, and I quickly jump to the top of the leaderboard. ;)
tehe
(That's all I can think of)

Whenever a barely seen Cyberdemon rocket blasts me red and I scream and fall off with my chair. Sometimes I scream at the same time and the same volume with the marine.

EDIT: I thought you said "you're fucking owned", not the reverse.

Okay, when did I own Doom? Probably that same level: Post Mortem from Hell Revealed. Winning that was legendary. Extremely hard map, harder than anything from Alien Vendetta.

Once I was attempting one of my challenges of completing all the levels of DoomI and DoomII IWADs in succession without dying but I had messed up the start of E3M8 so that I had used up my rockets and plasma (I hadn't picked up enough from a pistol start) and had just one per cent health.
After I perfectly dodged the Spider Mastermind for a few minutes and pistolled it to death, I jumped up and punched the air.

I've taken down revenants and other mid-tier monsters with the non-berserk fist, which always makes me feel like a bad-ass. I've had a few instances of chainsaw dancing with a throng of various baddies and coming out on top.

Something that happens more often than I'd like to admit is when I pull off a string of daring, smooth maneuvers in tight spaces against a tough horde, surviving, and then doing something really dumb like strafing into a cacodemon fireball or getting whacked by a zombie from miles away.

The SG double kill at 3:57 saved me from an awkward extra shot after an imp was being stubborn. It was such a small moment, but it felt like tripping and accidentally saving the fall with a ninja somersault.

These are some pretty awesome stories, everyone :)

When my ping is under 200 I tend to do awesome in DM, sadly my 8 month stint of half-decent net ended when I switched jobs, and screw paying 9 billion dollars a month for decent speeds..

I still pull off some good moves in SP but the best players here probably dwarf me in terms of skill.

Ralphis said:

Dew, that demo still impresses me

Thanks, dbimpact was some of the best fun I had when speedrunning, so I poured a lot of effort into it. I think it's the combination of figuring out a route through the mazes while having to improvise along the way to deal with the many unexpected complications.

I got into DM only very recently so it's easier for me to impress myself there. I feel pretty good whenever I go on a killing spree (6+) in a non-spam map in FFA, whenever I do a lot of spawn-killing in a short period of time, especially with the RL/BFG in duel, whenever I understand a spam FFA better than the others and get a lot of momentum and win 50 to low 30s or something, whenever I fire some rockets down a chokepoint in duel and it ends up hitting someone who was halfway across the relatively large (for duel) map.

I'm so-so at CQ combat with the SSG, but I'm way above average with the railgun, to the point that my opponents in DM soon realize it and either avoid me like the plague, or switch their tactics in a panic as soon as they start dying from an entire map away.

I let them relax a bit at this point, only to keep hammering them harder later on. Rinse and repeat *wink*

Also, I've exploited the camp spots in Brit10 to the point that I almost disgusted myself. I say almost, because if the rest of the sheeple players just keep on teleporting to their doom, without attempting an alternative route at least, then they deserve being slaughtered mass-production style, IMO.

I chuckle each time I get a "RAMPAGE!" or even a "DOMINATING!" announcement in this way.

https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/104813355 = juking two Archviles during my UAC Ultra Ironman run.
https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/88867814 = 1% health escape from a Sunlust map encounter.
https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/86071252 = beating a somewhat tough encounter from Bemused's "Dank Midis and Linedefs" on my first attempt.
https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/27020301 = how to exploit Archvile infighting. (I die at the end, but manage to pull off a cool sequence)
https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/41764712 = pretty decent BFG 2-shot on a Cyberdemon in Perdition's Gate.

Some of the highlights from my twitch channel.

In DM the funniest camping tactic I found is hiding in the exit room, opening the door from time to time and shooting with SSG if you see someone in front of you. NOONE will look at you since the exit room is a nonexistent place in their minds.

I once attempted to punch the Cyberdemon to death and succeeded, but it's not really something I would want to do more than once since it is tedious as fuck to do.

Avoozl said:

I once attempted to punch the Cyberdemon to death and succeeded, but it's not really something I would want to do more than once since it is tedious as fuck to do.

Well, you know there's a bunch of WADs where the whole premise is fisting cyberdemons to their death, right? ;-)

Instakilling a Baron and Hell Knight with 3 rocket shots after activating a trap. Still had to deal with shotgunners, but it save me lots of health and strafing time.