Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xyzzу

Does anybody make ENDOOM screens anymore?

I find them quite fun to make in my spare time. I'm curious if people even bother to add one to their wads, let alone even have one show up every time you exit Doom.

Yes they do, but to find the holiest of vanilla frills you'll need to go back as far as 1997. Does anybody make infopacks anymore? They are secretly the cherries that every megaWAD cake has been missing since.

I randomly put one in dk_dm_4 which simply says "Why bother with an endoom screen? No one reads this crap!" which is true for 99% of DM players.

Ancient Aliens has one as well.

Jaws In Space said:

Also I'm making one for TNT Revilution.

Nice! Can't wait to see the results.

Doomkid said:

"Why bother with an endoom screen? No one reads this crap!"

LOL

Alfonzo said:

Does anybody make infopacks anymore? They are secretly the cherries that every megaWAD cake has been missing since.

The modern equivalent of infopack is the website. And indeed, I'd really like to see more megawads with their own websites! It makes them a lot more professional looking, and thus tempting to play.

printz said:

The modern equivalent of infopack is the website. And indeed, I'd really like to see more megawads with their own websites! It makes them a lot more professional looking, and thus tempting to play.

Reelism has a website, but contained with the download is the closest thing I've seen to a modern infopack. It has an HTML manual, and it looks quite nice.

Memfis said:

Does anybody make FILE_ID.DIZ files anymore?

Not much, except some demoscene releases, and related stuff (like new games for old computers).
But don't worry, old school BBS are going to make a comeback, now that more people are waking up to how much of a disaster the web has become. Well everything about modern computing, in fact...
If you act quick, you could be the first kid on your block to run a Doom BBS!

I ended up doing the ENDOOM for Ancient Aliens because it just kinda seemed like a fun idea. I probably wouldn't have known they were even a thing if it weren't for Eternity's displaying of ENDOOM lumps by default.

I have since uninstalled whatever software I used at the time, due to it having some weird issues with padding extra bits at the end. I don't know what most people use ENDOOM editing nowadays.

EDIT: I'll probably end up doing more if I can find software that works properly, though my art skills are sorely lacking.

bzzrak said:

That's exactly how I did made it in when push came to shove (though without the guide). I was hoping that some people would know of an editor that didn't add all the extra guff at the end. I only found out that was an issue when people testing during the beta phase noticed it didn't work in ZDoom (I test with Eternity so I didn't know, as it worked fine in there).

Altazimuth said:

EDIT: I'll probably end up doing more if I can find software that works properly, though my art skills are sorely lacking.

FYI: I just posted a thread here about my general ASCII editor, Playscii, which can now import and export ENDOOM lumps. Very different interface from PabloDraw but you may like it.

On 12/13/2016 at 4:28 AM, Alfonzo said:

Yes they do, but to find the holiest of vanilla frills you'll need to go back as far as 1997. Does anybody make infopacks anymore? They are secretly the cherries that every megaWAD cake has been missing since.

What, this is amazing. I had no idea this existed. Can this please be made for all wads going forward? Thank you.

On 12/13/2016 at 8:28 PM, Alfonzo said:

Does anybody make infopacks anymore? They are secretly the cherries that every megaWAD cake has been missing since.

Man, those were the shit. I particularly thought it was cool that MM2 had two extra maps hidden in its infopack. 

On 15.3.2017 at 11:35 AM, Gez said:

There's also  Playscii now.

Playscii is generally a super fun program to use, and you can do a lot of cool stuff with it. I use it mainly as an art tool and it's great at that, but there is essentially full game creation functionality in there. I'm pretty terrible at coding though, so I never got too far into it.

Sorry for necro bumping, but I just finished a new ENDOOM screen for a project. You'll hopefully be able to see it "soon" :) I spent maybe 8-10 hours on it.