Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xyzzу

What's the stupidest censorship you've ever seen?

GoatLord said:

Furthermore, I think it is deeply offensive to black people to use the phrase "the 'n' word" because it implies that black people are so savage and uncivil, that if you use the word in full, you'll get your ass beat. I've seen this behavior many times, where white people will suddenly get deeply uncomfortable around a black person they don't know, because they assume if they do or say the wrong thing, they're in for a ass whupping. That is a disgustingly racist attitude that makes some really broad and ugly assumptions.

This reminded me of an example I saw a while ago:

-Don't say the n-word when talking to a black person, or you'll get shot.
-Wait, are you saying all black people are armed and dangerous? Isn't that racist?

Another thing: the company's name is Bimbo. Isn't that ironic?

It is indeed ironic. But in Mexican culture there's no context for Bimbo like there is here. We really need to stop fearing words, it gets us nowhere. White people invented "the 'n' word" because they have no fucking idea what black American culture is like.

GoatLord said:

Zed's post on the use of the word "nigger" outside of America is fascinating, and unfortunately a sign that we as a culture have completely given in to fear, to the point that we're not questioning why the word is considered offensive, we just assume it is and try to make sure no one says or even spells it. It is literally the only ethnic slur in English that has a euphemism. I cringe when my adult ass friends say it, because I want to just shake them and go, "You're not a goddamn child! You can say the word!" But they have grown up around a society that has been very hush-hush about it, so they think that's the appropriate protocol.

Furthermore, I think it is deeply offensive to black people to use the phrase "the 'n' word" because it implies that black people are so savage and uncivil, that if you use the word in full, you'll get your ass beat. I've seen this behavior many times, where white people will suddenly get deeply uncomfortable around a black person they don't know, because they assume if they do or say the wrong thing, they're in for a ass whupping. That is a disgustingly racist attitude that makes some really broad and ugly assumptions.

Just goes to show that a post that starts with *hits blunt* Isn't worth reading

GoatLord said:

Zed's post on the use of the word "nigger" outside of America is fascinating, and unfortunately a sign that we as a culture have completely given in to fear, to the point that we're not questioning why the word is considered offensive, we just assume it is and try to make sure no one says or even spells it. It is literally the only ethnic slur in English that has a euphemism. I cringe when my adult ass friends say it, because I want to just shake them and go, "You're not a goddamn child! You can say the word!" But they have grown up around a society that has been very hush-hush about it, so they think that's the appropriate protocol.

That was actually originally used against the Irish before blacks. They used to call black people, "Smoked Irish".

mistercow said:

Just goes to show that a post that starts with *hits blunt* Isn't worth reading

There's a difference between constructive criticism and saying something sucks without even attempting to clarify as to why. Not a very good way to converse.

He's not wrong though. The n-word remains an incredible insult because of its heavily loaded history. It's one of the worst things you can call a black person if you're not also black -- because of the word's history in the mouths of people who aren't black. To say that nobody questions why it's offensive is ridiculous, as research into the word and its history is something of a perennial topic.

dethtoll said:

He's not wrong though. The n-word remains an incredible insult because of its heavily loaded history. It's one of the worst things you can call a black person if you're not also black -- because of the word's history in the mouths of people who aren't black. To say that nobody questions why it's offensive is ridiculous, as research into the word and its history is something of a perennial topic.

While I did say "we're not questioning," I never said, "nobody is questioning." Of course some people do. But most folks are operating on a knee jerk reaction, whereby, they are taught that it's bad to say, so it becomes bad in their minds. There is not a lot of critical thinking on the subject. Sure, the U.S. has a history of white folks using the word to demonize blacks, but when you suggest that we need to change the paradigm and stop fearing a mouth noise, people get mad, because they don't want change; they want to be upset and use childish euphemisms. They feel empowered by being offended.

On top of that, to imply that it's one of those worst things you can call a black person implies that every black person is automatically offended by the word, which is a broad generalization, and paints blacks as being emotionally unstable, which is fucked up. I'm part black and have absolutely no problem with someone calling me a nigger, even as an insult. It couldn't possibly faze me. I totally get that someone else might get offended, but to imply that it's insulting to all black people is ridiculous. They're not all the same.

I wasn't really criticizing the censorship of the word in the U.S., I don't really understand a lot of the debate around it. I was just saying that, at least here in Mexico, we don't have the same racial background (obviously), so while it might make sense there, it really doesn't apply here.

I apologize if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intention.

Funny enough, I was watching Law & Order on a US broadcast tv station (ION) earlier this year and they didn't censor the n-word when McCoy said it in court when he was reading some guy's racist lyrics.

When people censor boobs. Honestly I dont understand why you are able to see violence in PG rated movies, but if a single boob slips out in a movie, then it gets an R rating.

I dont get whats so bad about the human body.

Brief non-sexual nudity is still allowed in American PG rated movies today, but I don't know how common that is. TV on the other hand, American broadcasters are so afraid that they'll even blur a mannequin.

TimeOfDeath said:

Brief non-sexual nudity is still allowed in American PG rated movies today, but I don't know how common that is. TV on the other hand, American broadcasters are so afraid that they'll even blur a mannequin.

Broadcaster: Hnnnggg... That mannequin is so sexy... Better censor it.

Talking about Wolf-3D, wasn't there a version that replaced the dogs with rats or something like that?

GoatLord said:

and no swatstikas.

...and talking about swastikas, E1M4.

Censoring swastikas in WW2 games is top level of stupid. It is anti-historical. Also 20th century have seen just as many deaths under the hammer and sickle banners so why not censor them too?

GoatLord said:

While I did say "we're not questioning," I never said, "nobody is questioning." Of course some people do. But most folks are operating on a knee jerk reaction, whereby, they are taught that it's bad to say, so it becomes bad in their minds. There is not a lot of critical thinking on the subject. Sure, the U.S. has a history of white folks using the word to demonize blacks, but when you suggest that we need to change the paradigm and stop fearing a mouth noise, people get mad, because they don't want change; they want to be upset and use childish euphemisms. They feel empowered by being offended.

On top of that, to imply that it's one of those worst things you can call a black person implies that every black person is automatically offended by the word, which is a broad generalization, and paints blacks as being emotionally unstable, which is fucked up. I'm part black and have absolutely no problem with someone calling me a nigger, even as an insult. It couldn't possibly faze me. I totally get that someone else might get offended, but to imply that it's insulting to all black people is ridiculous. They're not all the same.

I implied no such thing, you weirdo. And reductionism is the last resort of the willfully obtuse.

Zed said:

...and talking about swastikas, E1M4.

The swastika had no reason to be there in the first place, so meh.

Orchid87 said:

Censoring swastikas in WW2 games is top level of stupid. It is anti-historical. Also 20th century have seen just as many deaths under the hammer and sickle banners so why not censor them too?

Germany is ashamed of its past and banned the symbol (except for scholarly use, or when it is part of a religious tradition predating Nazism, such as Buddhism, Hinduism, or Jainism). Russia isn't ashamed of its past at all and banned criticism of the Soviet Union. Different strokes for different folks!

The problem with swastikas in games has to do with the status of games in Germany. The swastika is permitted in artistic works such as films set during World War 2. Video games are not seen as art and are therefore excluded from that exemption. Which is stupid.

dethtoll said:

I implied no such thing, you weirdo. And reductionism is the last resort of the willfully obtuse.

You literally typed "It's one of the worst things you can call a black person if you're not also black" and I think that's a very broad assumption, I mean, can you really speak for black people? I'll admit I went a little overboard with what you were implying, and I apologize for that, but really, this is the sort of naive (but well intended) white attitude that I've seen a thousand times, where they think they know how black people collectively feel about a subject. I'm part black, and have been around them my entire life, and I guarantee you some of them don't care about being called that. Some of them certainly would not appreciate the assumption.

GoatLord said:

You literally typed "It's one of the worst things you can call a black person if you're not also black"

This is something that puzzles me a bit. OK, if you are black, you have the right to use "the word". If you aren't, that's a right you do not have. My question is, you people are saying that some people have the right to use some word because they basically have some more melanin in their skin? Like, really? The speaker's lack of melanin automatically makes it insulting?

It's an absurd double standard. Cultural conditioning. Entitlement. I'm mixed and although it's obvious I'm part black from my appearance (slightly brown skin, big lips, big nose, curly hair), I can only drop n-bombs around certain people. Doesn't matter that I'm using the correct tone (friendly or funny rather than hostile), the fact that I'm not fully black, or black enough or whatever, means that some people won't like it. I dunno where they draw the line, seems very arbitrary. It's a real mess!

I wonder how those people react on-line where they can't even see the other person. I guess they automatically assume everyone is white (or not black enough) until proven otherwise?

EDIT: Consistency.

mrthejoshmon said:

Is the word **** still censored here?

Edit: yes, yes cook with a u and c is censored still.

Good.

Zed said:

This is something that puzzles me a bit. OK, if you are black, you have the right to use "the word". If you aren't, that's a right you do not have. My question is, you people are saying that some people have the right to use some word because they basically have some more melanin in their skin? Like, really? The speaker's lack of melanin automatically makes it insulting?

Because it's not just melanin, as you disingenuously claim.

Gez said:

I don't get it.

EDIT: OK, let's just forget about it. Sooner or later I'm going to say something stupid which I'll regret later. I think I'll just go read about it somewhere else.

GoatLord said:

You literally typed "It's one of the worst things you can call a black person if you're not also black" and I think that's a very broad assumption, I mean, can you really speak for black people? I'll admit I went a little overboard with what you were implying, and I apologize for that, but really, this is the sort of naive (but well intended) white attitude that I've seen a thousand times, where they think they know how black people collectively feel about a subject. I'm part black, and have been around them my entire life, and I guarantee you some of them don't care about being called that. Some of them certainly would not appreciate the assumption.

If you're expecting me to back down because you're of mixed race you're going to be disappointed, because you're still putting words in my mouth. Black people aren't a monolith, sure, but you're projecting super-hard here: just because the word doesn't bother you doesn't mean it doesn't bother other black people. It's not just the word itself, it's the meaning and intent and history behind it. So yeah, saying the n-word around black people if you're white (or may as well be white) is risking trouble, and you don't get to tell me that I'm making broad generalizations because I basically said "saying a word what insults black people will likely offend black people."

I mean, is this really the hill you want to die on?

I'm not really as heated about this as you're making it out to be and I'm not expecting you to back down. I was getting into a semantics argument because you come off as naive when it comes to this sort of thing. Your use of language did anger me a bit, I'll admit, because I get tired of seeing white people defending blacks when they don't really have a solid understanding of black American culture. No hard feelings.

Gez said:

Good.

Zed said:

I don't get it.

EDIT: OK, let's just forget about it. Sooner or later I'm going to say something stupid which I'll regret later. I think I'll just go read about it somewhere else.

dethtoll said:

If you're expecting me to back down because you're of mixed race you're going to be disappointed, because you're still putting words in my mouth. Black people aren't a monolith, sure, but you're projecting super-hard here: just because the word doesn't bother you doesn't mean it doesn't bother other black people. It's not just the word itself, it's the meaning and intent and history behind it. So yeah, saying the n-word around black people if you're white (or may as well be white) is risking trouble, and you don't get to tell me that I'm making broad generalizations because I basically said "saying a word what insults black people will likely offend black people."

I mean, is this really the hill you want to die on?

GoatLord said:

I'm not really as heated about this as you're making it out to be and I'm not expecting you to back down. I was getting into a semantics argument because you come off as naive when it comes to this sort of thing. Your use of language did anger me a bit, I'll admit, because I get tired of seeing white people defending blacks when they don't really have a solid understanding of black American culture. No hard feelings.

I thought we were talking about censorship, not racial "issues".